collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:38:25 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

Brian Evans by maidstonevillain
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Jacob Ramsey by AV84
[Today at 12:12:05 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 12:04:41 AM]

Matty Cash - Polish international by PeterWithe
[Today at 12:03:00 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:02:34 AM]

Press-ing on triumphantly by dave.woodhall
[April 18, 2024, 11:47:47 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Southampton Post Match Thread  (Read 18456 times)

Offline robbo1874

Re: Aston Villa v Southampton Post Match Thread
« Reply #180 on: November 02, 2020, 09:12:38 PM »
After the Leeds game I wasn't expecting that. The least I hoped for was a more closely fought game but for 60 minutes we pretty much failed to turn up again. Admittedly, Southampton like Leeds play with a sense of purpose, so it shouldn't be too much of a shock but why are we struggling again with the basics? Dean can say what he wants but he needs to face facts that teams are punishing us and we seem to have no answer.

Arsenal next. Joy.
who beat last time we played them. It’s easy to get down after a couple of losses. But we can’t win every game. We can get something against Arsenal and stop the slide.

Online Skerra

« Reply #181 on: November 02, 2020, 11:01:03 PM »
I have more confidence that we’ll get something from the Arsenal match than I ever did against high pressing teams like Leeds and Soton.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #182 on: November 02, 2020, 11:22:44 PM »
I have more confidence that we’ll get something from the Arsenal match than I ever did against high pressing teams like Leeds and Soton.

I fancy us against Arsenal as well.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #183 on: November 02, 2020, 11:42:23 PM »
I think we'll be lucky to get a draw against Arsenal.  Two games we should be capable of winning after that though.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #184 on: November 03, 2020, 02:47:11 AM »
Arse very good against Manure. Compact well organised, unless Smith solves our midfield and central defensive problems we will be beaten.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #185 on: November 03, 2020, 06:53:10 AM »
Mind you Liverpool looked superb against Arsenal then faced us. Maybe we’ll do it again?

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #186 on: November 03, 2020, 07:16:19 AM »
We beat Leicester, they thumped Leeds.

As for solving or fixing our defence and midfield, maybe it's not broken.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #187 on: November 03, 2020, 07:54:13 AM »
We beat Leicester, they thumped Leeds.

As for solving or fixing our defence and midfield, maybe it's not broken.
Smith suggested similar.

The balance in the centre midfield, Mings out of sorts, Cash getting exposed.

Conceding 7 in 2 games, something is not right.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #188 on: November 03, 2020, 08:02:15 AM »
I don’t think anything is just broken, looking at the whole league for some reason everyone is having a blip or two which maybe coinciding with the other team really capitalising on it in an extreme way.

Mings and Konsa with Doug just in front have been excellent since March so I’m not going to panic just yet. I’ve been very impressed with Leeds and even last night they did look very tenacious and good, but it does show it’s all easily unpicked for some reason. Leicester managed them very well, but Leeds did have chances, as we did against them.

Southampton are also a very good team and pounced on a few mistakes we made. Likewise we did against Liverpool.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #189 on: November 03, 2020, 08:39:19 AM »
Take away the results against Liverpool & Leeds, and we look like a decent mid table side. There's lessons that need to be learnt, but there's also nothing that's particularly concerning for where we are right now (2nd season in the top flight after a long absence)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #190 on: November 03, 2020, 08:59:45 AM »
Take away the results against Liverpool & Leeds, and we look like a decent mid table side. There's lessons that need to be learnt, but there's also nothing that's particularly concerning for where we are right now (2nd season in the top flight after a long absence)

Seven goals conceded in the last two games and what likes like a return to the defensive shambles of last season is mildly concerning.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #191 on: November 03, 2020, 09:58:02 AM »

Seven goals conceded in the last two games and what likes like a return to the defensive shambles of last season is mildly concerning.
It was dejavu all over again including Smith post match ramblings.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #192 on: November 03, 2020, 10:53:34 AM »

Liverpool conceded 7 in one game should Klopp be concerned?

We’re a team who only avoided relegation on final whistle of last season and is now trying to build and establish itself in the PL. Obviously we are not ready to be top 6 contenders so results are inevitably going to be mixed. This is nicely illustrated by the sequence of us beating Leicester; Leeds beating us; Leicester beating Leeds.

As things stand were in a good place this season building on a decent end to the previous one.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #193 on: November 03, 2020, 11:54:31 AM »

I'm interested to know what sort of thing you'd expect him to say and what you thought he said that was rambling?

Managers generally don't give too much away in post-match interviews. They won't want to say too much about what went wrong, they want to fix it.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #194 on: November 03, 2020, 03:44:58 PM »

I'm interested to know what sort of thing you'd expect him to say and what you thought he said that was rambling?

Managers generally don't give too much away in post-match interviews. They won't want to say too much about what went wrong, they want to fix it.

I thought Hasenhüttl was more insightful. He noted how Ralphampton had pressed and worked a lot in the first hour or so, but that it was difficult to keep up once they lost a bit of focus, and then they also lost energy as we started to get wider and get behind them which paid dividends for us.

Dean just said that we would or could have won if the referee had added on a few more minutes but I didn't glean much more, aside from conceding bad free-kicks which we all knew.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal