collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa v Leeds post match thread  (Read 23038 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Villa v Leeds post match thread
« Reply #330 on: October 26, 2020, 09:32:29 AM »
They stood off him because of the handball rule/VAR fear that he'd go down under any type of contact. No excuse but it's the truth.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #331 on: October 26, 2020, 09:47:08 AM »
They stood off him because of the handball rule/VAR fear that he'd go down under any type of contact. No excuse but it's the truth.
Yeah I understand that but 4 player's couldn't have blocked  the goal between them? I think I'm just more annoyed because of who it was. Bamford is a cheating pos and we allowed him the freedom of Villa Park and that hurts.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #332 on: October 26, 2020, 10:19:00 AM »

They shouldn't be standing off the ball though. Mings was diabolical for that. Standing up like a statue while Bamford had time to move to his left foot and shoot. Reminiscent of Mings defending against Man Utd post lockdown where Keane called him out at half time. That was the worst performance I've seen from a Villa centre half since Tuanzebe against Lewis Grabban in the 5-5. If we had any proper competition at centre half (we don't), Mings should be fighting for his place.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #333 on: October 26, 2020, 10:29:09 AM »
I think Mings was the problem. He was all over the place.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #334 on: October 26, 2020, 10:33:01 AM »

They shouldn't be standing off the ball though. Mings was diabolical for that. Standing up like a statue while Bamford had time to move to his left foot and shoot. Reminiscent of Mings defending against Man Utd post lockdown where Keane called him out at half time. That was the worst performance I've seen from a Villa centre half since Tuanzebe against Lewis Grabban in the 5-5. If we had any proper competition at centre half (we don't), Mings should be fighting for his place.
I watched with disbelief as Bamford was allowed time to look up pick his spot then aim the ball into that exact spot. For the life of me I can't understand why Mings didn't just stick out a foot and poke the ball away from him. As others have pointed out Bamford seems to have Mings completely rattled but he just seemed transfixed and unable to react while Bamford just picked his spot. Quite bizzare really.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #335 on: October 26, 2020, 11:04:21 AM »

I watched with disbelief as Bamford was allowed time to look up pick his spot then aim the ball into that exact spot. For the life of me I can't understand why Mings didn't just stick out a foot and poke the ball away from him. As others have pointed out Bamford seems to have Mings completely rattled but he just seemed transfixed and unable to react while Bamford just picked his spot. Quite bizzare really.

The endless replays make it look as though they stood around for ages waiting for him to shoot, in reality it was a split second hesitation due to the fear of him diving again but at PL level that’s all that is needed. They shouldn’t have done it and hopefully will learn from it but unfortunately his premeditated diving has worked for them. Another feather in the cap for the much lauded Bielsa.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #336 on: October 26, 2020, 11:14:18 AM »
I read the other day that Leeds got a fair play award when they let us walk in the goal in the Championship.  The same Leeds who scored a goal that was sbnag out of order that kicked it all off in the first place, then had an abysmal simulation to get a player sent off.  Madness.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #337 on: October 26, 2020, 11:37:21 AM »

The endless replays make it look as though they stood around for ages waiting for him to shoot, in reality it was a split second hesitation due to the fear of him diving again but at PL level that’s all that is needed. They shouldn’t have done it and hopefully will learn from it but unfortunately his premeditated diving has worked for them. Another feather in the cap for the much lauded Bielsa.
It's that split second in the Premier league that makes all the difference. In Premier league terms they gave him way too much time to allow him to think and pick a spot. I'm sure they will learn from that. I bet the players are gutted that Bamford of all players got a hat trick. His second was a bit special though. Martinez mouthed "wow" when the camera went on him following that goal.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #338 on: October 26, 2020, 12:12:46 PM »
Bamford had a really good game and much as we all dislike him and think he is a limited player he looked very good on the night.  The second goal was excellent and if one of our players had scored it we'd be rightly laudinging them for it.  Hopefully his bubble will burst because he's an utter twat, but credit where it's due.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #339 on: October 26, 2020, 02:25:00 PM »
I can’t help thinking that we went into the game a bit overconfident. Grealish has been looking so good this season precisely because the players we bought in the summer mean he doesn’t have to do everything himself. He wasn’t the only one who was guilty of overplaying it at times, but he should have released Watkins after that run. His whole focus should be about putting Watkins through.

Against Liverpool our front players were ruthlessly efficient, almost always releasing a team mate if that was the better option. Barkley was perhaps the least efficient, in that he took on a few opportunities that might have been better left to Trezeguet, but to be fair, it was his debut, and he still scored.

Against Leeds I felt the players were trying to do too much.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #340 on: October 26, 2020, 02:39:10 PM »
Bamford had a really good game and much as we all dislike him and think he is a limited player he looked very good on the night.  The second goal was excellent and if one of our players had scored it we'd be rightly laudinging them for it.  Hopefully his bubble will burst because he's an utter twat, but credit where it's due.

Probably not far to compare as he starts every week for them but he must've scored about 50 goals since Davis last scored a league goal for us?

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #341 on: October 26, 2020, 03:07:44 PM »
I've held back from the thread for a couple of days to let people get things out of their system but now on to how I saw the game.

In my opinion there was nothing much between the teams until the first goal, both sides had decent chances they hadn't been able to take and both defences had been doing a good job so the game was on a knife edge to be tipped one way or the other by a bit of brilliance or a mistake. In the end it was a couple of very small mistakes by us that turned the game, Martinez needed to push the ball away better and Mings was probably a yard to narrow which meant he couldn't deal with the 2nd ball.

After that I think the defeat was always on the cards because they had control over the game. That said the 2 goals we conceded were really disappointing because we stood off and let him pick his spot both times, he's not a good enough player to deserve that much respect.

I agree with this, we certainly were not outplayed for the whole game - and you're the first I've seen mention that Martinez pushed the ball back into the danger zone which should be a basic no no for keepers.  Bit harsh maybe but agree he should have done better with it. 

Defence were definitely wary of putting a challenge in on Bamford because of his playacting but should still have forced him onto his right foot. 

Didn't one Marlon F Harewood once get a hat trick against Villa?  Didn't make him a good player. 

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #342 on: October 26, 2020, 03:40:39 PM »
As disappointing as the result and performance was, we are miles ahead of where most thought we would be after the opening five games. Leeds will cause problems for a few of the top teams this season with their approach to games, and have a team that functions better than the sum of its parts largely down to the coaching and management. they will run out of steam about half way through the season when fatigue sets in.

The Villa defence looked like it did before lockdown. Lets hope it is a blip and not a return to normality. Mings was terrible most of last season, and we would benefit with better competition being brought in in January if we can offload Engels or Hause. Cash had a bad game, but we do have other good options there if he hits a bad run of form.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #343 on: October 26, 2020, 03:42:36 PM »
I don't think Cash played that badly, he was just overrun as Leeds doubled up down that side, with Trez not providing much support, then Traore providing even less.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #344 on: October 26, 2020, 04:09:11 PM »
As disappointing as the result and performance was, we are miles ahead of where most thought we would be after the opening five games. Leeds will cause problems for a few of the top teams this season with their approach to games, and have a team that functions better than the sum of its parts largely down to the coaching and management. they will run out of steam about half way through the season when fatigue sets in.

The Villa defence looked like it did before lockdown. Lets hope it is a blip and not a return to normality. Mings was terrible most of last season, and we would benefit with better competition being brought in in January if we can offload Engels or Hause. Cash had a bad game, but we do have other good options there if he hits a bad run of form.

I don’t think Cash had a bad game, he just diDent get the expected support against a very good winger

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal