collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa v Leeds post match thread  (Read 23016 times)

Offline Goldie.7

Re: Villa v Leeds post match thread
« Reply #285 on: October 25, 2020, 01:43:15 AM »
People acting like it was an open goal for Watkins. With the pass being rolled to him defenders would've been sliding themselves in to block and also still had the keeper to beat.

Think Jack had every right to shoot.

This guy. ::)

Literally most of the goals Watkins scored last season were in and around this area. He would have slotted that away with ease.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #286 on: October 25, 2020, 06:49:12 AM »
If you play back that incident there was an opportunity to play in Ollie, when there was only 1 player between him and Jack (and just the keeper to beat). I was shouting at the screen for Jack to make the pass. Obvs there are no guarantees, but surely we have to play in our £28m striker off the back of a hatrick in his previous home game.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #287 on: October 25, 2020, 08:02:30 AM »
It’s all hindsight and I understand why jack didn’t make the pass, after he’d just run the length of the pitch and had the goal of the season beckoning. But it’s not the first time this season he hasn’t played Watkins in at the right time, it happened against Leicester and one or two occasions against Fulham.
It’s a bit frustrating.
He’s our best player and our captain, but I hope he’s not beyond Smith and his coaching team having a word in his ear.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #288 on: October 25, 2020, 08:12:14 AM »
Jack has been nothing short of stunning so far this season but there's still room for improvement in certain areas. With the right coaching he can go from our top player to one of the best in Europe.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #289 on: October 25, 2020, 08:33:27 AM »
We looked knackered as soon as they scored. Mentally and physically it broke us.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #290 on: October 25, 2020, 08:34:30 AM »
Jack has been nothing short of stunning so far this season but there's still room for improvement in certain areas. With the right coaching he can go from our top player to one of the best in Europe.
he seems to be getting the right coaching under Smith. His progress has been off the scale. Thankfully he’s been staying fit.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #291 on: October 25, 2020, 08:52:24 AM »
If you play back that incident there was an opportunity to play in Ollie, when there was only 1 player between him and Jack (and just the keeper to beat). I was shouting at the screen for Jack to make the pass. Obvs there are no guarantees, but surely we have to play in our £28m striker off the back of a hatrick in his previous home game.

Yep he should have passed.  When he opted to shoot the opportunity was gone, much like his England career I suspect.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #292 on: October 25, 2020, 08:59:23 AM »
I'm sure he'll outlast the England set-up longer than Mountgate.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #293 on: October 25, 2020, 09:02:40 AM »
From memory when Jack got his shot away he was in a better position than Watkins was at any time. That’s not to say he shouldn’t have passed but when he did shoot it was still just the keeper to beat and 8 yards out with the same angle.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #294 on: October 25, 2020, 09:11:23 AM »
From memory when Jack got his shot away he was in a better position than Watkins was at any time. That’s not to say he shouldn’t have passed but when he did shoot it was still just the keeper to beat and 8 yards out with the same angle.

I think you should watch it again.  Watkins was in yards of space as the picture above shows.  Grealish was at a much tighter angle and had a Leeds defender sliding in front of him, another in close proximity and the keeper right in his line of view.  It wasn't a good opportunity by then.  The defence were all moving towards him when he got into the box, and so Watkins would have been unmarked.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #295 on: October 25, 2020, 09:12:26 AM »
Yeah, he should have passed but after that amazing run he made, I don't really blame him for wanting to shoot.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #296 on: October 25, 2020, 09:17:42 AM »
I wouldn't think Southgate would write him off on that basis either. Who the hell else in the Prem could go on a run like that (Spurs' Sunny Sonny Son maybe but not many others)?

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #297 on: October 25, 2020, 09:19:50 AM »
People acting like it was an open goal for Watkins. With the pass being rolled to him defenders would've been sliding themselves in to block and also still had the keeper to beat.

Think Jack had every right to shoot.

This guy. ::)

Literally most of the goals Watkins scored last season were in and around this area. He would have slotted that away with ease.

Jack could have shot from there and should still be scoring. Run the play on and he should be scoring anyway. Think he took a touch too many possibly. I guess he could have committed Ayling a bit more there and then Watkins would just have keeper to beat. Don't think Jack did much wrong. Very few attacking players would have passed in the same situation. Jack missed two sitters really, one in the first half, great clearance aside, but it has to go in.

Online The Edge

« Reply #298 on: October 25, 2020, 09:21:24 AM »
Yeah, he should have passed but after that amazing run he made, I don't really blame him for wanting to shoot.
I don't think anyone blames him for going for glory. If he'd scored we would be having a different conversation about the greatest goal ever scored by a Villa player at Villa Park. Fine margins and we can watch the replays to see passing
to Ollie was the right thing to do. Jack's still learning and we are privileged to be witnessing the rise of on of our own to the very pinnacle of the game.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #299 on: October 25, 2020, 09:33:29 AM »
We looked knackered as soon as they scored. Mentally and physically it broke us.

This is absolutely spot on.  That first goal was so important and we have form for giving less than a fuck when we go behind.  Still, it's only happened once so far this season and we have to learn from it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal