collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa v Leeds post match thread  (Read 22988 times)

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
Re: Villa v Leeds post match thread
« Reply #240 on: October 24, 2020, 01:46:46 PM »
Bear in mind as well, Leeds had 3 key players out, including their best player. They reshuffled the whole team to plug the gap then had to reshuffle it again when his replacement looked like he was going to get sent off.

That’s the kind of flexibility of thought and tactical pragmatism that smith just lacks.

Stop speaking sense, mate! Hope you're well pal. I had to be up at 6, and have to work 9-7. On a Saturday. In a foul mood because of Smith and his inept tactics.

Haha yep! All good thanks ma the hope you’re ok despite the villa showing and the early start. Expect littleun is keeping you busy!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #241 on: October 24, 2020, 01:48:08 PM »
W6 D2 L1 of our last 9 league games, I wouldn't be panicking yet.

Yep, but after one defeat we need a tactical overhaul of our midfield apparently.

Not really. If players aren't 100% fit though it's going to be a problem against mega press teams. Leeds are one and Southampton will be same next week.

Barkley said after Leicester game he very nearly missed the game as he'd barely trained the week so it reminds me a little of us playinh McGinn after he got injured playing for Scotland and his performances really dropped off and then he eventually got a bad injury (although that was unrelated).

We do have plenty of options in central midfield to mix things up. We could bring in Nakamba next weekend alongside Luiz or just go back to Hourihane given we've won 4 of the last 5 he's started for us and I think that would remain a competitive midfield.

I'd make a change in midfield and bring in Traore to have a look at him starting a game so I wouldn't say changing 2 players is some radical move. No issue with defensive unit as they've been very good so far, second half was just bad day and they weren't helped hugely by shape infront of them.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #242 on: October 24, 2020, 01:50:53 PM »
It’s well documented how intense their fitness regime is under Bielsa.  Double sessions same day I think.

Have we ever had a manager doing double sesssions? Just curious. Pochettino went in at Spurs and starting doing it and they flew up the league pretty quickly.

Drove past Bodymoor the other week and see they've changed the entrance so I assume fans can't watch training anymore or get autographs/selfies. Think I last went down in the final MON season and players were clocking off at 12.01pm.

When Houlier tried it he got slagged unmercifully for causing too many injuries.

They barely trained under MON (seemingly because half of the squad lived in Cheshire or London in those times) so with many of them being in the experienced age range it was a problem going from one extreme to the other.

Would work better with this present squad though. I assume Martinez, Watkins, Cash and Barkley were all doing double sessions at their previous clubs given the speed and intensity their ex clubs played at.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #243 on: October 24, 2020, 01:51:46 PM »
W6 D2 L1 of our last 9 league games, I wouldn't be panicking yet.

Yep, but after one defeat we need a tactical overhaul of our midfield apparently.

Not really. If players aren't 100% fit though it's going to be a problem against mega press teams. Leeds are one and Southampton will be same next week.

Barkley said after Leicester game he very nearly missed the game as he'd barely trained the week so it reminds me a little of us playinh McGinn after he got injured playing for Scotland and his performances really dropped off and then he eventually got a bad injury (although that was unrelated).

We do have plenty of options in central midfield to mix things up. We could bring in Nakamba next weekend alongside Luiz or just go back to Hourihane given we've won 4 of the last 5 he's started for us and I think that would remain a competitive midfield.

I'd make a change in midfield and bring in Traore to have a look at him starting a game so I wouldn't say changing 2 players is some radical move. No issue with defensive unit as they've been very good so far, second half was just bad day and they weren't helped hugely by shape infront of them.

Point taken but I think on the back of four straight wins and
defeat, it's unnecessary. I'd personally go with the same side and give them the opportunity to get us back on track rather than kicking people out the side because we lost one game.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #244 on: October 24, 2020, 01:52:32 PM »
On the same theme, in his interview with Pravda this week, McGinn admitted that he played post-lockdown when he was less than 70% fit and "did it for the team, not myself". My worry is that Dean sees a core as undroppable unless their legs are falling off. I don't know how easy it is to rectify that, as our replacements in midfield especially are a clear step down in quality.

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #245 on: October 24, 2020, 01:52:43 PM »
Lots of middle distance runners train twice a day, every day for up to 100 miles a week and obviously they get much, much fittter aerobically than footballers. But, an awful lot succumb to illness and injuries and very, very, few compete week in week out let alone twice some weeks like footballers do. I think the cumulative grind of a season plus the effect of impact injuries which you obviously don’t get in running mean that training intensely twice a day for footballers isn’t sustainable for long .

Offline Damo70

« Reply #246 on: October 24, 2020, 01:56:08 PM »
We had some crucial decisions go against us which contributed to the scoreline so I don't think we should change too much given that we have won four games out of five.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #247 on: October 24, 2020, 01:56:48 PM »
I think there's a difference in seeing a player can't perform to the level you, or he, want because of injury so you rest him, and dropping players as a kneejerk reaction to one bad game.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #248 on: October 24, 2020, 01:59:59 PM »
On the same theme, in his interview with Pravda this week, McGinn admitted that he played post-lockdown when he was less than 70% fit and "did it for the team, not myself". My worry is that Dean sees a core as undroppable unless their legs are falling off. I don't know how easy it is to rectify that, as our replacements in midfield especially are a clear step down in quality.

That was needs must as just having McGinn back gave everyone a boost initally and he was desperate to play. Bigger problem was in the lead up to his injury in December. I also think Mings around that time wasn't 100% and then his hamstring goes v Leicester.

I don't think anyone is saying give Hourihane or Hause 20 starts this season but Hourihane could certainly come in for the odd game here and there and I'm sure we wouldn't collapse as we didn't when he started the last 4 last season.

This season's schedule will become brutal again from December onwards so I'd like to avoid situation where we go into that period without 2-3 key players all out at same time because they're being overplayed after a limited pre season. Watkins having to play every single minute of every game is also a bit concerning given our lack of out and out forwards in the squad. Spurs leave Kane and Son regularly on bench for their cup games so that's a good example of them resting their best players at good times.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #249 on: October 24, 2020, 02:00:42 PM »
Bear in mind as well, Leeds had 3 key players out, including their best player. They reshuffled the whole team to plug the gap then had to reshuffle it again when his replacement looked like he was going to get sent off.

That’s the kind of flexibility of thought and tactical pragmatism that smith just lacks.

Stop speaking sense, mate! Hope you're well pal. I had to be up at 6, and have to work 9-7. On a Saturday. In a foul mood because of Smith and his inept tactics.

Haha yep! All good thanks ma the hope you’re ok despite the villa showing and the early start. Expect littleun is keeping you busy!

Good stuff, mate. All ok now, littleun sleeping on me, sipping some whiskey soda, a good PS4 session on the go. Have a good weekend mate and will speak soon! Up the Villa!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #250 on: October 24, 2020, 02:04:45 PM »

I reckon three quarters of the the teams in the Premier League would struggle if they dropped/rested their core players.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #251 on: October 24, 2020, 02:07:29 PM »

I reckon three quarters of the the teams in the Premier League would struggle if they dropped/rested their core players.

West Ham seem to be doing o.k at the moment dropping Noble who was their captain and started about 500 games for them in his career. Diop was also seen as their best CB until a few months ago.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #252 on: October 24, 2020, 02:22:26 PM »
I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bath water because it's still been a brilliant start.  It was concerning though, just how easily Leeds humped us second half, despite having fewer rest days than us, and being without their best player. We've got plenty of time to work on what went wrong before Southampton though.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #253 on: October 24, 2020, 02:25:29 PM »
Yesterday wasn’t good. Let’s not sugarcoat that. But after this weekend I think the worst we will be is 4th spot because of our GD with a game in hand on all the teams around us. Going into a 5 game stretch where we can certainly pick up a number of points to be in an early top 6 place. If someone had told me that when the season kicked I’d have told them they were a little crazy.

The truth is all the teams this season have flaws that on any given weekend can be exposed. Just look at any number of results that have taken place. Yesterday was our day to have a bad one. With the exception of only a couple of teams all have had some really bad results this season.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 02:27:32 PM by Toronto Villa »

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #254 on: October 24, 2020, 02:33:13 PM »
Sleeping on it I can now conclude that Bielsa will be managing someone of greater stature than Leeds before long. This is a good thing because I think if Leeds had serious backers they could be a force for some time. Last night was A case of master and apprentice.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal