collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa v Leeds post match thread  (Read 23017 times)

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
Re: Villa v Leeds post match thread
« Reply #225 on: October 24, 2020, 01:08:03 PM »
Bielsa - you don't have to be a genius to make your team very very fit so they can play the power game for 90+ minutes.  I think lasting the pace has been an issue for us under Smith as well as previous managers.  We look to have improved in that respect since lockdown but Leeds showed there is still a way to go. 

Bamford - anyone wondering why he is so despised only needs to re-watch the way he got AEG sent off (and the subsequent feeble attempts to justify it in that documentary) and the pathetic playacting to try and get a pen last night when he'd actually trodden on Mings' foot.  There are plenty of other examples.  The arsehole is a grade A cheating shithouse.   

Grealish - that run showed why he is in the England squad but not in the team.  Brilliant play to beat the players, but then holds on to it way to long and loses the opening for himself and especially for the wide open Watkins. It may not be a popular view but it showed that Southgate and  Sourness maybe have a point.  Leeds' one and two touch counter attacks showed how it could and should be done.  He lost possession several times last night when passes were on.  I also suspect the non-penalty decision is related to his reputation for going to ground a little too easily - even though there are worse offenders (Mane, Vardy) who get away with it. 

Our full-backs - both thrown under the bus by Smith and the midfielders who were meant to be supporting them.   Not sure why they are being criticised by some. 

Trezeguet - it's no good tracking Alioski back as far as the penalty area and then stopping while Alioski overlaps Harrison and runs into space.  Improving with the ball but still lacks composure and without the ball was back to his headless chicken impersonation last night.  Des Bremner he aint.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #226 on: October 24, 2020, 01:08:13 PM »
Blew up?  They got promoted!

He's on about 18/19.

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #227 on: October 24, 2020, 01:10:25 PM »
I thought the firs half was pretty even. They came out of the blocks and then we grew into the game  I really enjoyed it. Second half was all about the first goal and that was that. Cash easily our MOTM.
Miff?

Yes

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #228 on: October 24, 2020, 01:10:35 PM »
Leeds were good last night we need to regroup and beat Southampton next week.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #229 on: October 24, 2020, 01:12:24 PM »
They were great, fair play a deserved easy win

Bielsa is a fantastic coach, negated Jack really well. Sometimes you just accept the defeat and the fact you’ve been done fair and square and move on.

I've waited until now to look online, but that was my take on it too. They were pretty much perfect in their play, they probably won't play that well again for 90 minutes this season, think it was about 75 minutes before they made an errant pass.

Onwards and upwards.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #230 on: October 24, 2020, 01:17:50 PM »
And if anyone was MOM for us last night it was Konza. Feels strange to say it in a 3-0 defeat but he was flawless, and kept going to the death.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #231 on: October 24, 2020, 01:19:11 PM »
I think last night showed Trez ain’t good enough.   He was AWOL so many times.  Targett we know about.  I also think Cash is a bit of a liability but I think there is a good chance he will come good.  I hope the scouts are lining up some upgrades in January.  If they do it will be a very interesting season. 

But yes goals change games.   If only Jack had scored - we all would be very chipper today. 

Offline TonyD

« Reply #232 on: October 24, 2020, 01:23:32 PM »
Oh and just because Jack didn’t make the pass last night  - suddenly Southgate is right.  What a load of utter bollocks.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #233 on: October 24, 2020, 01:26:42 PM »
And if anyone was MOM for us last night it was Konza. Feels strange to say it in a 3-0 defeat but he was flawless, and kept going to the death.

Tell you what, Gary, the one thing that Leeds didn't lack was something they had in abundance and that one thing was pace, movement and desire.

That's with Leeds: missing their main centre back and holding midfielder, having a day less rest from the previous game and Bielsa hooking one of their midfielders after 20 mins and bringing a kid in.

Huge week for players and management to turn around that shit show of a performance in second half and prove to Southampton that it was a one off. I'd certainly be in favour of a high profile player or two being dropped as a result and a complete tactical overhaul of our midfield.

Making changes after our first defeat in five and dropping high profile players? Why does us losing a game bring out the panic mode in some people? They were the better side, like we were in the previous four games. We lost, it happens.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 01:31:48 PM by Clampy »

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #234 on: October 24, 2020, 01:30:00 PM »
Oh and just because Jack didn’t make the pass last night  - suddenly Southgate is right.  What a load of utter bollocks.

First off I haven't said Southgate's right - I said he may have a point.  And even that wouldn't be a fair conclusion to draw if it was the only example.  It isn't, there are plenty more if anyone cares to see them.  Jack's good, very good, but he has his faults too.   But hey keep on wearing your "Jack is God" specs if it makes you happy.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #235 on: October 24, 2020, 01:36:02 PM »
W6 D2 L1 of our last 9 league games, I wouldn't be panicking yet.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #236 on: October 24, 2020, 01:36:59 PM »
It’s well documented how intense their fitness regime is under Bielsa.  Double sessions same day I think.

Have we ever had a manager doing double sesssions? Just curious. Pochettino went in at Spurs and starting doing it and they flew up the league pretty quickly.

Drove past Bodymoor the other week and see they've changed the entrance so I assume fans can't watch training anymore or get autographs/selfies. Think I last went down in the final MON season and players were clocking off at 12.01pm.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #237 on: October 24, 2020, 01:38:51 PM »
It’s a long season. As impressed as I was with Leeds 2nd half I’ll be amazed if they are still doing that in February. The lockdown was as helpful for them as it was for us.

I’m not too despondent. We had 3 great chances (Grealish x2 and Konsa) before their first goal, score any of those and it’s a different story. We just didn’t take our chances, they did, fair play to them, it happens.

Agree with this. The last two seasons they had a post Xmas slump, one that dragged them into the play offs another they recovered from. If Something similar happens this season, the premier league as we all know from last year, can be brutal. So as well as they played last night and deserved winners as they were, there’s no guarantee Leeds won’t struggle later in the season.
As an aside just watched that Grealish run again, pure class, but he has to play Watkins in at the right moment, there would of still been work to do but he was unmarked.

We need to heed the warning though aswell. Just playing the same 11 continously and we'll be burnt out by Feb aswell. Even if that means we bring in players that not many fans trust it's important we mix up the starting 11 at times this season. If that means a big name player benched then so be it as that's what teams in the top 6 do.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #238 on: October 24, 2020, 01:40:44 PM »
W6 D2 L1 of our last 9 league games, I wouldn't be panicking yet.

Yep, but after one defeat we need a tactical overhaul of our midfield apparently.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #239 on: October 24, 2020, 01:42:36 PM »
It’s well documented how intense their fitness regime is under Bielsa.  Double sessions same day I think.

Have we ever had a manager doing double sesssions? Just curious. Pochettino went in at Spurs and starting doing it and they flew up the league pretty quickly.

Drove past Bodymoor the other week and see they've changed the entrance so I assume fans can't watch training anymore or get autographs/selfies. Think I last went down in the final MON season and players were clocking off at 12.01pm.

When Houlier tried it he got slagged unmercifully for causing too many injuries.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal