collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 06:32:28 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:32:23 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Paul.S
[Today at 06:29:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Leeds United Pre match thread - Oct 23rd - 8pm  (Read 18635 times)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Aston Villa vs Leeds United Pre match thread - Oct 23rd - 8pm
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2020, 11:36:58 AM »
I can see a loss too, although I'm always wrong.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2020, 11:37:22 AM »
Having just checked, they only joined the league in 1921, and have spent 50 seasons in the top flight (54%), 39 in the second (42%), and 3 in the third (4%). They were obviously consistently successful over a 10-year period between the mid-60s and mid-70s, which neatly coincides with our worst period - perhaps why there hasn't ever been a particular rivalry.

Leeds have been playing at Elland Road since 1905 but did a Rangers, went out of business (Leeds City) in 1919 and only reformed in 1921 (Leeds United). In my books they've spent more seasons in the 2nd Division than the top flight. 'Back where we belong' they claim; let's hope so come May.

I wish I was as confident as most on here, I've got us down for a draw but now think we'll lose 1-2. They're not half as bad as some would pretend them to be. I pray I've got this one wrong.

No they are pretty good, Bielsa can get a tune out of anyone early in a season. I just think that we have the exact weapons that hurt them the most.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2020, 11:57:30 AM »

True. That does bring me some comfort.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2020, 12:00:19 PM »
Just get Damo to lump on Leeds.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2020, 12:14:18 PM »
No chance ! And I'll promise I won't go I told you so after!!

True. That does bring me some comfort.

Heres why we win:
Well thinking on it the fushion of formations 4-1-3-1 and 4-4-2 , 4-1-4-1 will be deployed by Deano and actually the sort of support striker role Barkely will play really offers chances for goals and creates a lot of problems for Leeds especially without Phillips.

So actually I think just like against Liverpool  , Villa will start front foot and have 2 attackers in Watkins and Barkley , maybe McGinn too pressing on their back line. Certainly 2 strikers on the defence.
And a likely early goal will be the wish and preference  for Smith. Then Leeds will really have issues.

Just how Man City started and didn't give Leeds time to settle villa will be looking to do the same.

Then once ahead take our chances unlike Man City did and also push on for counter attacks as Leeds come to attack

Just like Liverpool though they will be continuously exposed and its a case of making the right choice by Villa in final third and scoring our chances that will come about.

On the defensive side I feel the positions being held across the back four and the little room villa will allow , just like we did , v Liverpool  will see Leeds real big chances few and far between.
For me Dean will go on the offensive and be organised and positional sound in defence and midfield without the ball.

In fact we've been well organised and drilled for each match for a while so having the positional discipline isn't the issue

I certainly feel good about this one as the set up by Dean its his  zenith vs Leeds . So Leeds players will be left all a bit lost as to what to do.
As every time they go forward they will be at most vulnerable and just as Villa were against Liverpool  every time going forward we'll create and have chances of scoring.
Leeds only play 3 at the back if playing 2 strikers yet Villa system means we essentially have Watkins as a striker with Barkley or McGinn pushing on so Leeds be confused to what to deploy at the back . Looking forward to the spaces created and room behind their full backs so at times we'll have 4 up front!!

Its actually  a watershed moment , again, for everyone outside Villa to recognise Dean Smith genius and that Villa should be getting many plaudits after our 5th straight win

Because we have the beauty of various ways of playing this match and how to play though the best way is to attack them from the outset and be organised in defence.
For me I can imagine Smith really enjoying the preparation for this one as the only way Leeds play will play into our hands whichever way Villa go about things.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 12:20:26 PM by Footy-Vill »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2020, 12:16:02 PM »
TL:DR.  We're just better than them.

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2020, 12:19:28 PM »
We're better than them, but can win only if we match their effort and workrate from start to finish!

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2020, 12:30:47 PM »
Ok my last post on this till after the victory if Villa don't score 5+ by full time! You can enjoy a footy-Vs insight free month ! And I'll work on improving conjecture to football reality with a month off .
Reasonable expectation from my pre match analysis.
I can only see a heavy win.
That is all.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2020, 12:50:39 PM »
I think it will be similar to Sunday, where Leicester hustled early doors without much threat and then gradually we took over when they couldn't keep it up.

The same kind of match, just with more goals, for us.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2020, 01:21:52 PM »
Had Leedzzz gone up with Grayson, Heckingbottom or any of the other damned of recent years there would be little fanfare or celebration on their return.

They'd have been treated like Derby, Sunderland et al. Medium>big clubs historically, but still underwhelming. Maybe one lead story on Football Focus and that's it for a while.

But it's Bielsa Bielsa.

I get it, when you see his background and the likes of Guardiola and Pochettino citing him as an influence. There's also a sense that he can be volatile in the extreme and one disagreement over transfers or owt else and he could be off, so the press want to make the most of his time here.

Hopefully we'll do them 7-2 and he hits the road the day after.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2020, 01:47:26 PM »

I do win sometimes you know. I'm not Robbie Box (one for the teenagers there).

Offline Steve kirk

« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2020, 04:31:54 PM »
I really dislike Leeds and their scummy fans, so really hope we win this one. It goes back to the LC final when a load of them (10 or so older heads tried to start trouble with 4 of us fairly young lads at a bus stop near the ground. Nothing too bad happened, but I’ve always hated them since that day. They’re on a par with Man U, blues and Coventry for me. So come on Villa FTF!

I get and share Man U and Blues but who are Coventry? Never heard of 'em.
yeah I know, but I’m from Nuneaton. There’s quite a few Cov supporting wankers in that town. And if you’ve ever been unlucky enough to have a night out in Coventry, you’d understand. We used to mainly avoid it, preferring Leicester- lot more chilled out - and Brum as we got a bit older and in to the clubbing. There’s a Cov fan I know in Brisbane who I used to get along with and have a few beers with. He showed his true colours though and I don’t see him now. His mrs is a dog head - lovely lady. They used to be pretty good value, but the anti- Villa nonsense was never far from the surface with Steve. Didn’t help we’re both fairly passive aggressive. Quite a prominent trait in that part of the Midlands unfortunately.

I was born in Brum but my parents moved to Coventry when I was quite young, we went down in 1967 as they arrived in the top flight for the first time, until 1975 when we finally made it back I never felt any animosity towards Villa from Cov City fans but that changed when we embarked on a very long unbeaten run against them, the hatred grew year on year, as a brummie living there and drinking in their pubs you could really feel it and it’s still there today, I expect they were very upset with our last day escape, I wish nothing but the worst for them, vile horrible club.
Ps I left Coventry in 1988 and a few years later returned to Brum 😀
what school did you go to Steve
Iwas there at the same time as you

I went to Coundon Junior school and then Barkers Butts secondary modern school (I failed my eleven plus 😀)

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2020, 06:47:45 PM »
Ok my last post on this till after the victory if Villa don't score 5+ by full time! You can enjoy a footy-Vs insight free month ! And I'll work on improving conjecture to football reality with a month off .
Reasonable expectation from my pre match analysis.
I can only see a heavy win.
That is all.

We want you here so less of the threats to leave, please.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2020, 06:58:55 PM »
Just noticed this game is on BT Sports Box Office WWE... surely that gives Dirty Leeds an unfair advantage?

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2020, 07:04:41 PM »

I do win sometimes you know. I'm not Robbie Box (one for the teenagers there).
I call almost all girls princess because of Robbie.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal