collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Premier League reform proposals  (Read 34723 times)

Offline Big Ming

Re: Premier League reform proposals
« Reply #360 on: October 15, 2020, 07:39:42 PM »
Gary Neville's getting a bob on himself for a TV pundit.

Giving it large about how football should be re-organised the way he wants it.

Online SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #361 on: October 15, 2020, 09:38:59 PM »
The Prem clubs should call the bluff of the Greedy6.

For too long the Greedy6  have bullied the other clubs to get more and more money. Well, it's time to stand up to the bullies and say enough is enough.

The 14 should them that if they really want to reduce the number of games they want to play, then it's quite simple -

they can fuck off.

Then they won't be bothered with the tiresome League Cup, the inconvenience of the FA Cup and they won't have to  schlepp up and down the country to fulfil tedious League games against nomark clubs; all of which keep getting in the way of their desire to play more and more games against other aspiring  the SuperLeague clubs.

Except, of course they'll no longer be able to play in Europe .... because they won't have a league to qualify from.

Off they go to play a constant series of pre-season and winter break exhibition/bogus Adidas/Nike cup games.

Let's see how long that would last.

And whilst we're at it, if they decide they'd rather stay in the Prem, then it's on the terms of the 14:

Take the opportunity to shaft them big style by evening up the monies paid out to all the clubs.

And if they do leave, and decide to come back, they can start in 8th Tier.

Cheers all.

Online SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #362 on: October 15, 2020, 09:50:04 PM »
And whilst we're at it, impose some sort of levy from transfers/football gambling/merch sales to help the lower league clubs, subject to strict financial constraints.

All clubs to produce annual financial business forecasts showing that they have the wherewithal to last the season  and they must also publish full accounts  at the year end and not the pathetic short firm versions that a lot of clubs issue.

Offline AllanW

« Reply #363 on: October 16, 2020, 10:22:09 AM »
Gary Neville's getting a bob on himself for a TV pundit.

Giving it large about how football should be re-organised the way he wants it.

I spent 10 minutes yesterday looking into his schtick for reorganising our sport; time I'll never get back in my life. It's annoying, substanceless toss. It starts with the 'small team of experts' who he's worked with to pull this wonderful strategy together. I bet you couldn't wait to see who they include ...

Denise Lewis - the Olympic heptathlete and Gabby Logan sidekick
Helen Grant - Conservative MP
Andy (pandy) Burnham - Mayor of Greater Manchester
Gregg Scott - Lawyer
Mervyn King - ex-governor of the Bank of England (ok he's a Villa fan so we'll give him a pass)
David Davies - ex-journo/tv/presenter wallah and ex-PR director of the FA
David Bernstein - ousted Arsenal director

and I bet you couldn't pick a more thoughtful, informed, expert set of people from whom you would buy a fundamental blueprint for a national sport.

But, I hear you cry, what do they say? What nuggets of golden wisdom do they dispense?

Well ..... not much. Not much at all. They don't think the English Premier League should be more powerful. They don't think the FA are particularly credible. They think there's an 'imbalance' in finances in the game. They think some clubs exploit their fans. They think there should be more BAME coaches.

That's it. No depth, no numbers, no analysis. Oh and they think, therefore having completely won the argument with their devastating presentation, that an 'independent' body should be put in place by government to tell all these disparate parts what to do. Forever.

Possibly run by a small but well-meaning group of friends who have already got together to express their willingness to ride a gravy-train with no scruples ...

Makes me sick. Should in fact be overwhelming evidence for them to be dragged through the streets behind a galloping horse but 'Hey' we'll just have to ignore them instead.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #364 on: October 16, 2020, 10:26:33 AM »
Why is Denise Lewis involved?

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #365 on: October 16, 2020, 10:47:50 AM »

I assume as she might have an insight as to how funding is filtered down into athletic clubs around the country for good effect.   

Offline AllanW

« Reply #366 on: October 16, 2020, 10:53:56 AM »

[/quote]

I assume as she might have an insight as to how funding is filtered down into athletic clubs around the country for good effect.
[/quote]

As a former chair of the National Council for England Athletics and current President of Cheshire County Athletics Association I can tell you she has little to no such knowledge :)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #367 on: October 16, 2020, 10:58:04 AM »

[/quote]

As a former chair of the National Council for England Athletics and current President of Cheshire County Athletics Association I can tell you she has little to no such knowledge :)
[/quote]

Well, there you go, I assumed incorrectly.  I'm as stumped as Eamonn now.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #368 on: October 16, 2020, 11:04:40 AM »

[/quote]

Well, there you go, I assumed incorrectly.  I'm as stumped as Eamonn now.
[/quote]
But we can all agree she's the best looker in that lot?

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #369 on: October 16, 2020, 01:20:45 PM »
I vote for AllanW to be on the panel.

Offline Smoke

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #370 on: October 16, 2020, 01:24:21 PM »

Careful, You'll have all the Karen Brady Simps out again.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #371 on: October 16, 2020, 01:36:15 PM »

;) ;D :)

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #372 on: October 16, 2020, 06:49:50 PM »
I was having a scan of RAWK the other day and the 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' fans were nowhere near as up in arms about the proposals - the general attitude seemed to be there's a lot of good stuff in there (which I think most agree on) but they were unsure/mildly opposed/not keen (as opposed to incandescent) about the power sitting with 6 clubs.  Kind of "it's not really ideal but hey-ho if that what it takes".

Many of them saw the scrapping of  the LC and Charity Shield and the reduction of the PL as positive in the sense it allows them to play more CL games and more of those lucrative international pre-season friendlies.  The attitude in some cases was that clubs like us should be grateful if included in overseas pre-season PL tournaments and allowed to play in the PL as the "variable filler" as one loveable scally put it (though there's obviously increasing fear among the elite that some of the "variable filler" - Leicester, Wolves, Everton etc. -  are getting a bit above their station and look capable of regularly challenging for the top 6 or will do eventually thanks to wealthy owners -i.e. us) . 

But in their ideal world view they would be the Harlem Globetrotters and we'd be the anonymous duffers they play their exhibition games against.  I can't think why we wouldn't snatch their hands off.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #373 on: October 16, 2020, 09:02:12 PM »

Which is the last comment along those lines you'll make on here.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #374 on: October 16, 2020, 09:03:14 PM »

;) ;D :)

And the same goes for you.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal