collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Premier League reform proposals  (Read 34773 times)

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
Re: Premier League reform proposals
« Reply #255 on: October 13, 2020, 07:44:52 PM »
Well I suppose we'll take the rap for sending 40 clubs to the wall if we don't agree.

As far as I can see we just haven't commented with 9 clubs against which makes it tough to get 14 votes.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8835395/EFL-clubs-SPLIT-support-Project-Big-Picture-following-meetings-72-sides.html

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #256 on: October 13, 2020, 07:49:15 PM »
We ought to be condemning this out of hand.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #257 on: October 13, 2020, 08:10:54 PM »
I listened to the Ornstein & Chapman podcast and whilst the contributors were largely against it, they were nowhere near as much so as I expected.

Whatever the merits of giving the lower tiers more money they seem to miss the fundamental issue that removing genuine competition from the PL would ruin top tier football as we know it.  The scales are already tipped way too far in favour of the big clubs and those in the CL.  Whilst I understand clubs will always want a bigger slice of a pay they feel they are instrumental in making, why can't people see that this would just be killing the goose that lays the golden egg?

How fantastic was it when Leicester won the PL?  If there is never a chance of a team like Villa, Leicester, Everton or Newcastle achieving similar then what is the point?

My worry is the proposals will be watered down, but we'll still end up with a far more polarised split in PL with the top clubs getting a bigger share of the money and a gap that is just impossible to bridge.  And whilst handing this to them (and the 5 subs rule etc) the rest of the plebs will be sighing in relief that they just avoided armegedon.  If pundits like this aren't picking it up, then is this message being missed?

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #258 on: October 13, 2020, 08:13:12 PM »
We ought to be condemning this out of hand.

Agree - it’s a bloody ridiculous idea.

Offline steamer

« Reply #259 on: October 13, 2020, 08:19:41 PM »
I listened to the Ornstein & Chapman podcast and whilst the contributors were largely against it, they were nowhere near as much so as I expected.

Whatever the merits of giving the lower tiers more money they seem to miss the fundamental issue that removing genuine competition from the PL would ruin top tier football as we know it.  The scales are already tipped way too far in favour of the big clubs and those in the CL.  Whilst I understand clubs will always want a bigger slice of a pay they feel they are instrumental in making, why can't people see that this would just be killing the goose that lays the golden egg?

How fantastic was it when Leicester won the PL?  If there is never a chance of a team like Villa, Leicester, Everton or Newcastle achieving similar then what is the point?

My worry is the proposals will be watered down, but we'll still end up with a far more polarised split in PL with the top clubs getting a bigger share of the money and a gap that is just impossible to bridge.  And whilst handing this to them (and the 5 subs rule etc) the rest of the plebs will be sighing in relief that they just avoided armegedon.  If pundits like this aren't picking it up, then is this message being missed?
What I said earlier
Run something up the flagpole and see who salutes it
Get some of what you want, breach the baracades and come back for more later.
Do not negotiate, fuck them off in totality

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #260 on: October 13, 2020, 09:08:49 PM »
It’s almost like they don’t want fans back and attending matches.

They all seem to be doing their best to drive away supporters with PPV games and now this. 

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #261 on: October 13, 2020, 09:10:59 PM »
What would happen if we were part of the Magic Group? Would it suddenly become a Good Thing?

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #262 on: October 13, 2020, 09:13:31 PM »
No. The entire notion is a piss taking shower of shit.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #263 on: October 13, 2020, 09:13:48 PM »
What would happen if we were part of the Magic Group? Would it suddenly become a Good Thing?

No. As evidenced by the reactions of the six clubs' fans groups.

Offline danno

« Reply #264 on: October 13, 2020, 09:16:32 PM »
I'm more curious about what Fulham Brighton Burnley make of it. On the one hand more money for EFL clubs. On the other hand, no parachute payments.

I suppose project know your place isn't as catchy.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #265 on: October 13, 2020, 09:18:20 PM »

No. As evidenced by the reactions of the six clubs' fans groups.

I'd hope that clubs like ours would rise above being patted on the head and being told we were Big but I have my doubts.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #266 on: October 13, 2020, 09:21:14 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure how solidly Purslow would resist in such circumstances. And the owners didn't make their dough through altruism.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #267 on: October 13, 2020, 09:21:48 PM »
For the good of all that is left of the shitty money driven Gollum that is now football, no set of supporters should accept these measures. Money grabbing, power grabbing, drawbridge pulling upping, bunch of ******.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #268 on: October 13, 2020, 09:25:44 PM »
I would like our management to come out against it  just like West Ham have done.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #269 on: October 13, 2020, 09:35:24 PM »
Now I think of it, if they came back with a proposal that expanded the 'special shareholders' or whatever they're calling it so that it just excluded 5 clubs rather than 11 and kept the qualified voting threshold at 2/3 of the group of 15 I think avarice would do the rest for them.

It'd still be shit, whether it included us or not (it probably would - WBA, Brighton, Burnley, Sheff U and Palace/maybe Villa would likely be the ones to 'miss out'), but it'd sail through.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal