collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fulham 0-3 Aston Villa Post match thread  (Read 17660 times)

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
Re: Fulham 0-3 Aston Villa Post match thread
« Reply #210 on: September 29, 2020, 11:16:28 AM »
Our weak link is Targett. Not a scapegoat, a weak link.

It is the one position we needed to strengthen most. Taylor is a busted flush and Targett is a very useful back up or even an impact sub.
I agree but it asks the question  Dean Smith and coaching team aren't identifying  that area.
But why not?

The other considerations  are the midfield,  left side cover and discipline  in helping out Targett.  But he himself has been booked both games and looked way off pace  at times.

Needs addressing  before Liverpool and of course Matt Targett is always a step away from being injured.
Seems not the most fittest of characters

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #211 on: September 29, 2020, 11:18:10 AM »
Always like to reflect a bit so here’s my scores on the doors.

Martinez - 7 didn’t have much to do and apart from the dropped cross leading to the disallowed goal was solid with good distribution.

Cash - 8 massive work rate and kept the right side quiet all night
Konsa - 8 battle royale with Mitrovic all night and kept him reasonably quiet.
Mings - 8 imperious and heard him organising and talking all game.
Targett - 6 wasn’t awful but does defend narrow and was loose in possession.

Luiz - 6.5 wasn’t one of Dougs better nights as the game seemed to pass him by but he was a constant presence mopping in front of the back 4.
McGinn - 8.5 MOTM 2 assists an outrageous piece of skill and every blade of grass covered, that’s the standard we want to see
Hourihane - 7 goal and an assist, still think he lacks mobility but good performance last night

Trez - 6.5 worked his bollocks off without the ball but provided no threat when we did have it.
Watkins - 7 good display, a constant nuisance and a goal not far away in my view
Grealish - 8 great goal caused issues for them all night but still has the odd wrong decision in him.

Ramsey and Traore - nice comfortable cameos.

Smith - 7.5 I was a bit concerned about how much possession we let Fulham have and how the switch of play left us exposed to crosses into the box but our shape when we didn’t have the ball was superb and allowed us to spring onto Fulham at will when we won it back.

Overall a great nights work and onto Stoke.....

Great Post and insights !
I ll keep eye out for the one v Liverpool 
Love Reading these ratings and observations!

Up the Villa!

Online manic-road

« Reply #212 on: September 29, 2020, 11:20:55 AM »
Our weak link is Targett. Not a scapegoat, a weak link.

It is the one position we needed to strengthen most. Taylor is a busted flush and Targett is a very useful back up or even an impact sub.
I agree but it asks the question  Dean Smith and coaching team aren't identifying  that area.
But why not?

The other considerations  are the midfield,  left side cover and discipline  in helping out Targett.  But he himself has been booked both games and looked way off pace  at times.

Needs addressing  before Liverpool and of course Matt Targett is always a step away from being injured.
Seems not the most fittest of characters

How do you know that the manager and coaching staff haven't considered it, has Dean Smith told you this?

Online wince

« Reply #213 on: September 29, 2020, 11:35:20 AM »
Are some writing Watkins off already? Ffs give the bloke a chance. Least he looks like he might score and doesn’t have a 50p head like most forwards we seem to sign

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #214 on: September 29, 2020, 11:40:11 AM »
Just think if the Man City game hadn't been postponed, we would be joint top of the league now.

:) In hindsight though that first game mightn't have been a bad time to play them.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #215 on: September 29, 2020, 11:47:02 AM »
Great result. My main concern is that we always appear to allow so many crosses into the box. But otherwise a solid performance. Keep it up.

Ditto

We seemed quite content to allow crosses to come into the box. Tyrone and Konsa were superb in defending them but we will come up against better forwards than Fulham

Targett in  particularly never seemed rushed in closing down their wingers and was happy to stand off. A strange tactic if that was the plan

Cash was MOTM and was superb throughout. His crossing is as good as Elmo’s and he could be our Alexander Arnold.

The criticism of Watkins is bizarre. I thought he played really well, was a constant threat and just seemed to be trying too hard with his chances. Two goals already in the cup though

UTV
Totally agree with what you said re: Watkins. It really is bizarre that we have people highlighting any negatives when there is clearly a shed load of positive things to say about him. Cash was superb. McGinn also but a special mention for Ezri Konsa. He's beginning to look pretty special to me.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #216 on: September 29, 2020, 11:57:16 AM »
Just think if the Man City game hadn't been postponed, we would be joint top of the league now.
<<LIKE>> ;D

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #217 on: September 29, 2020, 12:01:00 PM »
Experts experts experts! Emile Heskey on SSN  suggesting solution for Fulham is to get some crosses in as they have one of the best header of balls in their team. I wonder what he was doing between 5.45 and 7.30 last night?

Online ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #218 on: September 29, 2020, 12:34:12 PM »
Nice to watch a game where we were comfortable all the way through.

Much better defensively, partly down to the mergence of Konsa who is currently one of our best players. Mings had one of his better games and also chipped in with a goal. Cash looks to be a good signing. Targett had an OK game by his standards. Martinez is better than Heaton.

Nice to have McGinn put a performance like that in, and though Hourihane had another good game. Luiz had a quiet match, but didn't do much wrong.

Trez works very hard and will continue to improve this season. Grealish was the best player on the pitch. Watkins looks like a good player, certain he will score 16 goals or more this season.

Though Traore looked a handful when he came on, think he is going to be a good signing.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #219 on: September 29, 2020, 12:41:11 PM »
Martinez - the howler must have been as he was bored as not a thing to do - which is great to see

Cash - Tenacious in the tackle, fit as a butchers dog, great going forward - could be a steal

Mings - Imperious

Konsa - Ensured Mitrovic only got half chances - muscled him out most of the game which is not mean feat - going to be a star for us

Targett - does need to improve but i think he gives us a good outlet when he overlaps with Jack

McGinn - as good as he has been since injury - can anyone post that outrageous turn he did - 2 assists  and great workrate

Luiz - Below par - but most of Fulhams tactics were to come down the flanks

Hourihane - Great cross, great goal but not a lot else - missing for huge parts of every game

Jack - MOM - His run into the box for both goals was just sublime and terrified defenders - Southgate should be building a team around him as he is that good

Watkins - work rate was terrific and pulled the CH's all over the place as they did not know where he was - should of scored but the best strikers miss em - he will get a good few for us this season

Trez - Due to TV always following the ball i genuinely did not think he was playing until 20 mins in - 2nd half worked his socks off  - problem is i think most thought he was bought as an attacking player rather than a midfielder - as a midfielder i see the link to Bremner - as an attacking player i think he is lacking

Subs

Ramsey - looked like he was a regular
Marvellous - did his job
Traore - some lovely touches

Smith

I really like the way he speaks intelligently and discusses tactics - like the fact he deliberately gave up possession to catch them on the break and it worked superbly.
Cant wait for Sunday now to see if real progress has been made

Question - i did not see Terry there last night?  Maybe scouting at 'The Mighty Reds YNWA'?

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #220 on: September 29, 2020, 12:48:18 PM »
Terry was there.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #221 on: September 29, 2020, 12:51:29 PM »
What I liked about the performance is how streetwise we seem to have become compared to last season.  The odd cynical foul to break up play, not letting them settle too much, game management when needed and how many times have we seen an average striker such as Mitrovic have a field day against our defenders who were not up for the physical challenge.  Not last night with Konsa.  I’d like to say that’s Terrys influence right there.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #222 on: September 29, 2020, 12:55:58 PM »
Are some writing Watkins off already? Ffs give the bloke a chance. Least he looks like he might score and doesn’t have a 50p head like most forwards we seem to sign

It’s just how it is.
Football supporters are NEVER happy and there will always be something wrong.
The side has made an excellent start and Olly has been a breath of fresh air to the team in my opinion.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #223 on: September 29, 2020, 01:07:55 PM »
I always tend to find I'm in agreement with Who scored.com ratings.
McGinn 8.6
Hourihane 8.51
Cash 8.4
Mings 8.21

All made who scored team of the week.
Great ratings.

I'd also agree that Luiz 6.49 and Targett 7.06 were our worst performing players.

Positives
Created a high number of chances relative to their possession
Were effective at creating goalscoring opportunities from through balls
Were effective at creating goalscoring opportunities from set-pieces
Were strong at finishing

Up the Villa!

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #224 on: September 29, 2020, 01:23:40 PM »
Once the third goal went in, I was unusually confident that we would win as we looked like a much more cohesive unit across the whole team (although it could've all changed had their 'goal' not been disallowed).

I can see we are playing  narrowly at the back which then can lead to a lot of crosses. That happened frequently too last season, so that is one are in which we do need to improve. The defence were very good at coping with them yesterday, but that won't always be the case against better sides.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal