collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fulham 0-3 Aston Villa Post match thread  (Read 17464 times)

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Fulham 0-3 Aston Villa Post match thread
« Reply #195 on: September 29, 2020, 09:05:50 AM »
Our weak link is Targett. Not a scapegoat, a weak link.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #196 on: September 29, 2020, 09:19:19 AM »
Back in the sixties, I saw us draw 1-1 and win 6-3 at Fulham.  The 6-3 win was played in torrential rain and we were stood behind the goal at the cottage end which had no cover at the time, we got absolutely drenched.

Old man reminiscing again.

Offline Keeno

• Twitter
« Reply #197 on: September 29, 2020, 09:34:03 AM »

I think this is a fair summation. I don't dislike him, and I don't think he offers nothing to the team a la Taylor. But better teams will absolutely... target... the tendency that he has to be pulled in too close towards the centre backs when the ball is on the other side and spring an overload on a switch of play. I'm concerned that we'll see Salah running in behind him a LOT v Liverpool. Along with switches back over to Trent, where he'll have a good 10 yards free to deliver killer crosses.

I'd like to think Dean + staff will be aware of this and we'll see some strategy to mitigate it - maybe swapping Jack and Trez over to give Targett some extra workrate/defensive cover on that side.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #198 on: September 29, 2020, 09:38:50 AM »
Yes, I'm not getting carried away at all. But every point we accumulate early on is one we don't have to make up later in the season. I'm pleased with the signs that this season we won't have to deal with the anxiety of potential relegation quite so relentlessly.
Agree. We have improved as a team and showed that in outclassing a very good championship promoted team. This is the required level of progress.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #199 on: September 29, 2020, 09:40:25 AM »
He was definitely the weak link, and Fulham had most of their attacks down our left flank. He was marginally better second half, but I fear for him up against Liverpool next week.

He doesn't get much cover in front of him and is left exposed too often.

If he had Trez in front of him he'd look way better, but he doesn't.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #200 on: September 29, 2020, 09:41:21 AM »
If you want to change a defence that keeps getting clean sheets so you can shoehorn in a right back at left back, then I'm glad you're not the manager.
Defence was superb and amongst other things dealt with almost 40 crosses into the box. We have to do more work on stopping that. Of course Sunday evening will provide a much tougher test but... keep going I say.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #201 on: September 29, 2020, 09:41:55 AM »

Agree, teams are 'targeting' our left hand side. Its his decision making that worrys me, seems to lunge in needlessly or late.
Sessegnon is rumoured to be available on loan, something that i would be all over

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #202 on: September 29, 2020, 09:47:14 AM »
I think we need to calm down a bit. At the end of September last year we had 5 points - so we are only one point better off!  :)

Next 2 games we face teams teams in the top 4. But is nice to be one of the other 2.

Early days.

Hang on... we'd played SEVEN games by the end of September last year! We're one better off and we've only played two!

Somebody was bound to take the bait!

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #203 on: September 29, 2020, 09:59:35 AM »
According to Sky sports News - Fulham lost last night, I think West ham beat them from the high lights. but didnt see much of the other team just that they wore claret and blue

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #204 on: September 29, 2020, 10:01:25 AM »
Yes, I'm not getting carried away at all. But every point we accumulate early on is one we don't have to make up later in the season. I'm pleased with the signs that this season we won't have to deal with the anxiety of potential relegation quite so relentlessly.
Agree. We have improved as a team and showed that in outclassing a very good championship promoted team. This is the required level of progress.

Spot on  :)

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #205 on: September 29, 2020, 10:14:51 AM »
Great result. My main concern is that we always appear to allow so many crosses into the box. But otherwise a solid performance. Keep it up.

Ditto

We seemed quite content to allow crosses to come into the box. Tyrone and Konsa were superb in defending them but we will come up against better forwards than Fulham

Targett in  particularly never seemed rushed in closing down their wingers and was happy to stand off. A strange tactic if that was the plan

Cash was MOTM and was superb throughout. His crossing is as good as Elmo’s and he could be our Alexander Arnold.

The criticism of Watkins is bizarre. I thought he played really well, was a constant threat and just seemed to be trying too hard with his chances. Two goals already in the cup though

UTV

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #206 on: September 29, 2020, 10:15:40 AM »
I'm pleased with the result and a clean sheet this team will only get better.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #207 on: September 29, 2020, 11:00:08 AM »
Always like to reflect a bit so here’s my scores on the doors.

Martinez - 7 didn’t have much to do and apart from the dropped cross leading to the disallowed goal was solid with good distribution.

Cash - 8 massive work rate and kept the right side quiet all night
Konsa - 8 battle royale with Mitrovic all night and kept him reasonably quiet.
Mings - 8 imperious and heard him organising and talking all game.
Targett - 6 wasn’t awful but does defend narrow and was loose in possession.

Luiz - 6.5 wasn’t one of Dougs better nights as the game seemed to pass him by but he was a constant presence mopping in front of the back 4.
McGinn - 8.5 MOTM 2 assists an outrageous piece of skill and every blade of grass covered, that’s the standard we want to see
Hourihane - 7 goal and an assist, still think he lacks mobility but good performance last night

Trez - 6.5 worked his bollocks off without the ball but provided no threat when we did have it.
Watkins - 7 good display, a constant nuisance and a goal not far away in my view
Grealish - 8 great goal caused issues for them all night but still has the odd wrong decision in him.

Ramsey and Traore - nice comfortable cameos.

Smith - 7.5 I was a bit concerned about how much possession we let Fulham have and how the switch of play left us exposed to crosses into the box but our shape when we didn’t have the ball was superb and allowed us to spring onto Fulham at will when we won it back.

Overall a great nights work and onto Stoke.....

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #208 on: September 29, 2020, 11:00:51 AM »
Just think if the Man City game hadn't been postponed, we would be joint top of the league now.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #209 on: September 29, 2020, 11:12:27 AM »

It is the one position we needed to strengthen most. Taylor is a busted flush and Targett is a very useful back up or even an impact sub.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal