collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Premier League season 21/22. What the media are saying on Villa  (Read 28867 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Premier League season 21/22. What the media are saying on Villa
« Reply #150 on: October 20, 2021, 04:33:39 PM »
Richard Dunne has just released an interview saying more or less the same thing. Must be gang up on Pubehead day.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #151 on: October 20, 2021, 04:50:57 PM »
Could be true, but could also be an element of Downing making excuses for fucking right off after 18 months in the team (after we nursed him back to fitness) and Dunne for being a big fat sweaty piss-flap for most of his Villa career.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #152 on: October 20, 2021, 04:58:07 PM »
MON would argue he got results.

For me, the biggest revelation there is that Houllier, despite being our contracted manager, basically encouraged one of our best players to move to Liverpool and blabbed on about how he would love it. Disgrace, they let us down so badly.

Offline Risso

« Reply #153 on: October 20, 2021, 05:00:47 PM »
It shouldn’t come as much of a surprise that Houllier was a Liverpool-supporting waste of space. Couldn’t even start work on time, then there was all that tapping the fucking Anfield sign.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #154 on: October 20, 2021, 05:10:00 PM »

For me, the biggest revelation there is that Houllier, despite being our contracted manager, basically encouraged one of our best players to move to Liverpool and blabbed on about how he would love it. Disgrace, they let us down so badly.

He could argue it but for a third of a billion quid I’d argue he didn’t for the money spent. I’ve put that era down as yet another in along line of Villas missed opportunities as the whole Lerner project was built on foundations of quicksand constructed by one M O’Neill. I realise this is said with the benefit of hindsight but I’ll never forgive MON for the opportunity that was squandered on his poor mans Clough impersonation, UKIP transfer policy and lack of any tactical, professional or modern approach to coaching or managing. Downing just confirms what many of us suspected about his supposed genius, it’s a myth.

Offline Risso

« Reply #155 on: October 20, 2021, 05:28:12 PM »
O’Neill has been discussed to death on here, but his main fault was so many signings just didn’t deliver.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #156 on: October 20, 2021, 05:38:09 PM »
Could be true, but could also be an element of Downing making excuses for fucking right off after 18 months in the team (after we nursed him back to fitness) and Dunne for being a big fat sweaty piss-flap for most of his Villa career.

Tbf, we did injure him in the first place.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #157 on: October 20, 2021, 05:40:45 PM »

I was reading something recently, I wish I could remember where, which said that over the last 20 odd years, the most reliable indicator of league position in the premier league is wage bill - something like 90% accurate in terms of predicting a club's relative position.  I'd love to know what our wage bill was under the peak MON team and how it compared across the league. It always felt like we bought players at (or just beyond) their peak and put them on big fat contracts.

So as much as the MON years felt like they were relatively successful in terms of competing for European positions/top 6, I do wonder if we actually under or overachieved based on how much we spent on those players?

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #158 on: October 20, 2021, 05:50:47 PM »
Also a great interview with Alan Thompson - 38 minutes in for villa-related stuff
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 05:52:42 PM by Mister E »

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #159 on: October 20, 2021, 07:15:21 PM »

I was reading something recently, I wish I could remember where, which said that over the last 20 odd years, the most reliable indicator of league position in the premier league is wage bill - something like 90% accurate in terms of predicting a club's relative position.  I'd love to know what our wage bill was under the peak MON team and how it compared across the league. It always felt like we bought players at (or just beyond) their peak and put them on big fat contracts.

So as much as the MON years felt like they were relatively successful in terms of competing for European positions/top 6, I do wonder if we actually under or overachieved based on how much we spent on those players?

I wonder if we've ever debated what ours was Vs, say, Spurs?

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #160 on: October 20, 2021, 08:30:20 PM »

I wonder if we've ever debated what ours was Vs, say, Spurs?

Funny you should say that, I was reading a few posts by a chap called <checks notes> Villadawg and he said….

<Lone gunshot rings out>

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #161 on: October 20, 2021, 09:28:11 PM »
I thought Downing came across quite well really, seemed genuine and sounded as though he was quite impressed with MON and the set up to start with but realised that things were going south by the time he left. As soon as we took McLeish on we all knew as fans that the Lerner dream was over and we were never going to do much thereafter so it also must have been obvious to the players.
Thompson was also interesting to listen to, the clash of big personalities being a problem. We used to sign a lot of big names that were slightly damaged or past their best back then, with mixed results.

Offline ldavfc4eva

« Reply #162 on: October 21, 2021, 07:07:46 AM »
Both good interviews, I was quite surprised by Downing.

Always had it in my head that he was a bit of an arrogant bloke, but he was the total opposite and seems down to earth.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #163 on: October 21, 2021, 10:40:56 AM »
You won't see me defending O'Neill. We all know his faults. My point was I am still shocked that the Aston Villa manager in 2011 sat down with one of our main players and basically helped sell the Liverpool move to him. I think that is an utter disgrace and surely unethical.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #164 on: October 21, 2021, 12:23:47 PM »
You won't see me defending O'Neill. We all know his faults. My point was I am still shocked that the Aston Villa manager in 2011 sat down with one of our main players and basically helped sell the Liverpool move to him. I think that is an utter disgrace and surely unethical.

To you or I, yes. But if the club wanted the money, it wouldn't be a new phenomenon, plenty of players down the years have been told thanks and fuck off, we'd rather the money than you.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal