collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 431483 times)

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #825 on: February 05, 2021, 10:52:01 AM »
Nice that Ollie is back on the goal scoring trail. Hope he learns (and I’m sure he will) from last night - two really poor control mistakes directly contributed to two goals. I felt particularly for the first one it was like he’d switched off for a moment.
I don't disagree his control was poor at times - but for poor control in the opposition area to lead directly to a goal means there were a fair few others not doing there jobs in between!  Harsh to blame Ollie.

Totally agree Duncan

Ollie did lose possession for a couple of the goals but we were absolutely wide open and there was so much time and opportunity to try and prevent the West Ham counter attacks.
He's tireless worker for the team  and an absolute machine for us.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #826 on: February 05, 2021, 11:49:13 AM »
That's something we've struggled with in home games when teams have set-up to be organised and hit us on the counter...over-committing and allowing ourselves to be vulnerable to the counter. Definitely an area that we need to improve on.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #827 on: February 05, 2021, 12:28:52 PM »
His touch does need improving though. At times he is well capable of winning a physical battle with a centre back but his first touch can be very wooden. Or he tries to run with the ball and loses it quickly when he should be laying it off. One for him to maybe practice with Jack, getting his body between himself and the defender is key, handy way of winning free kicks.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #828 on: February 05, 2021, 04:21:07 PM »
He's not a hold up player, that would, in our current formation/line-up, be Grealish. On Wednesday when there was lots of coverage we needed someone else who could do that role. That's why AEG was an odd choice as that's not his thing at all, Traore is better at it.

Watkins is a goalscorer, he harries and chases lost causes, and the amount of distance he covers in a match must be something else for someone playing in his position.

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #829 on: February 05, 2021, 09:16:38 PM »
He's a decent player no argument but what makes a very good forward is the ability to take chances quickly, Ollie holds onto the ball too long imo

He is much more than a “decent player”. He’s had a bloody great start. Yes he’ll improve, but he’s done great.

I’ve listened to a lot of ex strikers over the last few weeks who have all waxed lyrical about Ollie and what he brings to the team, even when the goals dried up a bit. He’s working of the channels comes in for some significant praise.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #830 on: February 06, 2021, 06:20:31 PM »
I'm so glad we have signed him his scoring record is brilliant.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #831 on: February 06, 2021, 06:29:30 PM »
Really hope he gets to 20, but to be on 10 with so much of the season left is a great effort. Think he will end up on 16-17 but will be rested a bit when Wesley comes back.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #832 on: February 06, 2021, 06:41:33 PM »
Really hope he gets to 20, but to be on 10 with so much of the season left is a great effort. Think he will end up on 16-17 but will be rested a bit when Wesley comes back.

Don't think he'll need a rest. We don't have any more midweek games, so a game a week should be fine for all the squad. Our players have mostly played considerably fewer games so far than some players for the likes of Man City etc.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #833 on: February 06, 2021, 07:36:18 PM »

Don't think he'll need a rest. We don't have any more midweek games, so a game a week should be fine for all the squad. Our players have mostly played considerably fewer games so far than some players for the likes of Man City etc.

Pedant alert - we're likely to have 2 more midweek fixtures as we need to play our catch up games against Everton and Tottenham.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #834 on: February 06, 2021, 10:54:27 PM »
Ollie is a brilliant striker. He has good instincts and he also works so hard. He’s the sort of player you know will keep getting better.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #835 on: February 06, 2021, 11:08:37 PM »

Agree he won't necessarily need one, but I think the club will want to see Wesley start a few games. If nothing else they need to assess if he is able to play at this level so they can replace him in the summer if not. I am not writing him off especially given the incredible improvement in players like Targett this season but it is a bad injury he is coming back from and he will need game time to assess his level.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #836 on: February 06, 2021, 11:14:08 PM »
We'll be doing well to give Wesley 15/20 minutes here and there between now and the end of the season.

Can't see him starting unless injury or suspension forces our hand.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #837 on: February 06, 2021, 11:15:08 PM »
I think today was perhaps his most complete performance. Defended from the front but also got plenty of shots off. Great engine, ability and attitude.

I wonder if his goal will be chalked off by the dubious goals panel. His shot was going in the opposite direction (wide?) before the deflection.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #838 on: February 06, 2021, 11:20:57 PM »

I wonder if his goal will be chalked off by the dubious goals panel. His shot was going in the opposite direction (wide?) before the deflection.

Aye, my concern as well.

They'll have twats policing that sort of thing or giving out yellow cards for goal celebrations.

But no interest at all in fixing the bigger issues.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #839 on: February 06, 2021, 11:23:17 PM »
I think today was perhaps his most complete performance. Defended from the front but also got plenty of shots off. Great engine, ability and attitude.

No, I think it was on target, so it'll stand. Nowhere near where it ended up, mind!

Did anybody else nearly fall off the sofa leaning over trying to make that one that bobbled wide go in?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal