collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:32:05 AM]

Champions League Contention by paul_e
[Today at 10:26:30 AM]

Diego Carlos by tomd2103
[Today at 10:24:33 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[Today at 10:24:22 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by martin o`who??
[Today at 10:21:43 AM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 10:17:02 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by N'ZMAV
[Today at 10:14:46 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by eamonn
[Today at 09:58:22 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 464746 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Ollie Watkins
« Reply #4770 on: March 25, 2024, 01:04:25 PM »
I think it's entirely possible Toney is a better player, and a better fit for England, than Watkins. If that makes me a c-word, well, I'd point you to a number of other factors much higher up the list.

I actually agree with you, to a degree.

I think he is a better out and out goalscorer than Watkins.

He is more similar to Kane than Watkins is, so there will be less adapting to do for other players too.

Especially when they decide to slowly pass the ball around the back six for five minutes before hoofing it up to 6'2" Kane or Toney, as happens more often than not.

And as Southgate is unable to spot the changes needed for Watkins to work with England, never mind implement them, Toney will always be a better fit for England than Watkins is while Southgate is in charge.

But as an overall footballer, as both creator & scorer, with a work rate that is second to none, Emerys version of Watkins is a better all round footballer than Toney is.

You make well-reasoned, nuanced worthwhile points. So why (I'm not addressing this to you, Pablo) is every journalist and pundit who'd prefer Toney a ******?

Because all journos and pundits are c***s, and their opinion of Toney is neither here nor there?!

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #4771 on: March 25, 2024, 01:09:43 PM »
I think it's entirely possible Toney is a better player, and a better fit for England, than Watkins. If that makes me a c-word, well, I'd point you to a number of other factors much higher up the list.

He is more similar to Kane than Watkins is, so there will be less adapting to do for other players too.

Especially when they decide to slowly pass the ball around the back six for five minutes before hoofing it up to 6'2" Kane or Toney, as happens more often than not.

And as Southgate is unable to spot the changes needed for Watkins to work with England, never mind implement them, Toney will always be a better fit for England than Watkins is while Southgate is in charge.

But as an overall footballer, as both creator & scorer, with a work rate that is second to none, Emerys version of Watkins is a better all round footballer than Toney is.

You make well-reasoned, nuanced worthwhile points. So why (I'm not addressing this to you, Pablo) is every journalist and pundit who'd prefer Toney a ******?

I would imagine it all depends on "why" they prefer Toney & if they investigated the Watkins situation properly.

But I cant speak for other people.

However, while I have said "fuck the media", (& I will stand by that statement until I die), that was more about their narrow viewpoints of bigging up that yapping little Yorkshire Terrier Gallagher, that LB whose name isn't important enough to remember & Southgates little bitch Mcguire, for no other reason other than appealing to the glory hunting shit-c***s who "support" those clubs.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4772 on: March 25, 2024, 01:12:54 PM »

Because all journos and pundits are c***s, and their opinion of Toney is neither here nor there?!

Especially those in the county comparison game.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #4773 on: March 25, 2024, 01:58:37 PM »
Hopefully Watkins gets a rest tomorrow . Want him fresh for Saturday now .

I'm expecting Southgate to give Toney 90 minutes.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #4774 on: March 25, 2024, 07:12:42 PM »
Hopefully Watkins gets a rest tomorrow . Want him fresh for Saturday now .

I'm expecting Southgate to give Toney 90 minutes.

Yes, not just a rest but not to pull up with any injury to be avoided.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #4775 on: March 25, 2024, 07:16:17 PM »
Ollie is obviously going to the Euros, so i hope he doesn't feature at all tomorrow.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #4776 on: March 25, 2024, 08:11:49 PM »
Ollie is obviously going to the Euros, so i hope he doesn't feature at all tomorrow.

I'm not so sure. Logic and good football judgement isn't something I associate with Southgate. If Toney scores against Belgium all bets are off.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #4777 on: March 25, 2024, 09:10:14 PM »

I'm not so sure. Logic and good football judgement isn't something I associate with Southgate. If Toney scores against Belgium all bets are off.

Belgium were no great shakes at the weekend, Ireland probably should have beaten them.

Online VillaTim

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #4778 on: March 25, 2024, 09:16:45 PM »
I can see the twat of a manager playing him another entire game again tomorrow running him into the ground.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4779 on: March 25, 2024, 09:17:34 PM »
The big difference between Tonet and Watkins is that Toney is playing more for himself than the team. That's not necessarily a negative thing, and one of the changes Emery has made has been to get Watkins to be a little more selfish, but it does mean that in a team full of players more interested in making sure their own performance gets them another cap than building a team capable of actually winning things Toney doesn't look so isolated.

Personally I don't think there's a huge amount between them.

Online VillaTim

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #4780 on: March 25, 2024, 09:26:02 PM »
Watkins is the better all round player , Toney is a better penalty taker .

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #4781 on: March 25, 2024, 10:17:26 PM »
The whole press / Sky driven redemption of Toney beggars belief.  Southgate will fancy him being a closer player to Kane in style but he does go missing from time to time according to a Brentford ST-holding pal.

I'd prefer a fit & refreshed Ollie raring to go on Saturday & stick a couple past the Dogheads.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4782 on: March 25, 2024, 10:25:22 PM »
The whole press / Sky driven redemption of Toney beggars belief.  Southgate will fancy him being a closer player to Kane in style but he does go missing from time to time according to a Brentford ST-holding pal.

I'd prefer a fit & refreshed Ollie raring to go on Saturday & stick a couple past the Dogheads.

Yep, that's been my opinion of him since they got promoted. If a "big club" sign him they will be hoping he goes full Haaland because if not he'll struggle to live up to the price tag.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4783 on: March 26, 2024, 02:58:39 AM »

Yep, that's been my opinion of him since they got promoted. If a "big club" sign him they will be hoping he goes full Haaland because if not he'll struggle to live up to the price tag.
Agree, seems to lack mobility and energy.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4784 on: March 30, 2024, 07:32:36 PM »
Let's hope it's nothing serious.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal