collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Jaden Philogene by villadelph
[Today at 03:51:46 PM]

Re: Kosta Nedeljkovic - signed by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 03:40:48 PM]

Re: Kosta Nedeljkovic - signed by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 03:33:30 PM]

Re: Kosta Nedeljkovic - signed by Border villan
[Today at 03:31:29 PM]

Re: Kits 24/25 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 03:29:59 PM]

Re: Kits 24/25 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 03:26:28 PM]

Re: Kosta Nedeljkovic - signed by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 03:24:06 PM]

Re: Kosta Nedeljkovic - signed by jwarry
[Today at 03:23:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 547500 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Ollie Watkins
« Reply #4290 on: November 21, 2023, 04:20:22 PM »
The neutral view is that he was poor as we would all be saying had it been Callum Wilson giving a similar performance. But fuck'em, he does the business for the Villa more often than not, that's all I care about.

Offline Skerra

« Reply #4291 on: November 21, 2023, 06:46:36 PM »
I doubt that either Watkins or Konsa will make the next England squad, which is a good thing for us. In my humble opinion Watkins is not international level but, Konsa can consider himself unlucky not to have got any minutes. But then who can argue with Southgate when you have brilliant players like Maguire, Henderson and Phillips to pick from??

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #4292 on: November 21, 2023, 07:42:03 PM »
In my humble opinion Watkins is not international level

Isn't that a slightly meaningless description? I saw Aveley F.C play last Saturday, one of their centre-backs is a regular international for Guyana.

If Watkins is one of the best three of four strikers of his nationality and therefore good enough to get selected ahead of the others then he's "international level".

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #4293 on: November 21, 2023, 08:14:43 PM »
Ollie is a very good forward - unfortunately compared to a string of forwards that we have had.  If you think - we've been very lucky we have had Shearer, Owen, Rooney, Kane.

World Class players, and its no shame not to be comparable to that.  He's international class in that, other than Kane - there is only Callum Wilson and Toney who could be considered as a replacement.

Offline Skerra

« Reply #4294 on: November 22, 2023, 08:19:37 PM »
Ollie, international standard, sorry not for me. He needs to learn how to control a ball first which would then put him at the next level. I have to agree though that he works damned hard for Villa but he would become a really top level striker if they can work on his control of the ball. He does have the mentality to get there though and really hope he does.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #4295 on: November 22, 2023, 08:42:59 PM »
But isn't he the best English striker in the league?
He's a top striker who threatens to score two or three goals per game, and many people aren't surprised for him to score any time. Watkins has the ability to score against anyone in the Premier League. His shooting is up there with the best attacking players in the league. Emery has taken him to another level.

3rd for Shots On Target this season (joint)
27 : Haaland
17 : Salah
16 : Ollie Watkins (Son, Jackson, Núñez)

3rd For Shots (joint)
46: Haaland 
38: Salah
36: Ollie Watkins, (Fernandes, Rashford)

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #4296 on: November 22, 2023, 09:01:33 PM »
Southgate said this before the game, and yet we looked exactly the same against Malta, and when Kane replaced Ollie.

England manager Gareth Southgate to Channel Four: "Clearly Ollie Watkins' game is different to Harry Kane's. It is for us to adapt to his way of playing and we're not expecting him to build in the same way that Harry does. He's good at build-up play but of course he has great strength running in behind teams and pressing from the front. We want to play to his qualities, not the other way around."

I think his pressing abilities are what will keep him around the squad in the run-up to the Euros (as long as he keeps scoring at a moderate rate).  He does that job better than anyone, and I'm certain Southgate being the negative coach he is, will value having someone like that available should he want to focus on preventing teams having time to build patiently from the back.

Pressing must be hard when we/England have (guessing) 70% possession.  It might be the next stage of his evolution that he develops an ‘in possession’ skill.  From what I’ve read he is a willing student and I trust Emery to have a plan (Southgate a lot less so)

Offline VillaTim

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #4297 on: November 22, 2023, 09:31:23 PM »
The neutral view is that he was poor as we would all be saying had it been Callum Wilson giving a similar performance. But fuck'em, he does the business for the Villa more often than not, that's all I care about.
He was poor , but I only really care about what he does for us . Give him 3 good chances per game and 1 of them is going in (on average). If he was more clinical he'd be top scorer in the EPL this season.

Online Dave

« Reply #4298 on: November 22, 2023, 11:24:23 PM »
Ollie, international standard, sorry not for me.

Still have no idea what this means.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #4299 on: November 23, 2023, 02:56:39 PM »
I'd say that in the Kane stand-in group its swings and roundabouts.  Some are better at one aspect of centre forward play but none are better at all aspects. I wouldn't be surprised if Toney replaces Watkins in the squad, if when he returns he's playing to the same standard as before his ban.  It'd be an absolute shoe-in if Toney ended up moving to Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs or Man Utd in January.   

Online Dave

« Reply #4300 on: November 23, 2023, 03:13:06 PM »
You'd also think that a squad of 23 has room for three actual strikers, regardless of how good the main one is.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4301 on: November 23, 2023, 03:15:56 PM »
Statistically in the PL, this season, all of 2023, and in the time since Unai arrived, the only strikers more effective than Ollie are Haaland and Salah. Kane would most likely also be on the list if he hadn't moved. How being more effective than every other striker bar those 2, or 3 with Kane, who are truly some of the best around for many many years means he isn't 'international class' is baffling. 

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #4302 on: November 23, 2023, 03:56:28 PM »
You'd also think that a squad of 23 has room for three actual strikers, regardless of how good the main one is.

Part of the problem these days is how many "wingers" are now included as attackers rather then midfielders. So at the last World Cup, you had Sterling, Grealish, Saka, and I will include Rashford the way England play him, classed the same as Wilson and Kane who are the only recognised strikers in the squad. Yes Rashford could be a dual role player, but like Watkins, he doesn't play in the same fashion as Kane.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4303 on: November 23, 2023, 04:22:37 PM »
Ollie, international standard, sorry not for me.

Still have no idea what this means.

It means that Watkins is no Ché Adams.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #4304 on: November 24, 2023, 01:30:49 AM »
Ollie has a great first touch -sometimes. He'll need to be more consistent at this to get more international chances.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal