collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fixtures Season 2020/21  (Read 19565 times)

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Fixtures Season 2020/21
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2020, 12:11:34 PM »
Why would an opening fixture of Liverpool v Leeds be particularly coincidental?

It wouldn't. The league champions always play one of the promoted sides in the first game as far back as I can remember.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2020, 12:22:21 PM »
Anyone know HOW the fixtures are compiled? Is it an entirely computer generated thing, just with algorithms to avoid having neighbouring clubs playng at home together or something a little measured?

I mean it can't be coincidence that Liverpool face Leeds at Anfield on the opening weekend? It would be interesting to see how the fixture lists are actually put together.

This is the annual reminder to long-standing members that I used to be on the fixtures committee. It's a very long-winded process that takes the best part of the season and the final draft is only completed a couple of days before they're announced. Where pairing is concerned, it's us & Small Heath, and Wolves & Albion. There used to be a lot more police concerns, mostly around bigger clubs playing at resorts in the holiday season, but they don't seem to be so much of a factor now. The police don't (or didn't) see the fixtures before the draft stage and don't have any other input than that.

New clubs entering the league get low-key home games for the first couple of weeks so they can sort out any problems and if you think it's typical of the league's idiocy when clubs have their longest journeys midweek, they ask for that to prevent overnight stays. All in all it's a very complicated process and the man who does it has my utmost respect. 

Offline Damo70

« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2020, 12:23:55 PM »
I very rarely buy a newspaper these days (I can't recall the last time I did buy one) but I went out first thing this morning to get a paper with all the fixtures in. I have already put the pull out up on the wall of my den/man cave.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2020, 12:25:37 PM »
I very rarely buy a newspaper these days (I can't recall the last time I did buy one) but I went out first thing this morning to get a paper with all the fixtures in. I have already put the pull out up on the wall of my den/man cave.

When do the Shoot ladders arrive?

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2020, 12:34:21 PM »

When do the Shoot ladders arrive?

I'm sadly old enough to know exactly what your on about

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2020, 12:44:27 PM »
My panini album is annoying.  It hasn’t got Antonee Robinson playing for Fulham. 

Online Nii Lamptey

« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2020, 12:47:34 PM »
Anyone know HOW the fixtures are compiled? Is it an entirely computer generated thing, just with algorithms to avoid having neighbouring clubs playng at home together or something a little measured?

I mean it can't be coincidence that Liverpool face Leeds at Anfield on the opening weekend? It would be interesting to see how the fixture lists are actually put together.

This is the annual reminder to long-standing members that I used to be on the fixtures committee. It's a very long-winded process that takes the best part of the season and the final draft is only completed a couple of days before they're announced. Where pairing is concerned, it's us & Small Heath, and Wolves & Albion. There used to be a lot more police concerns, mostly around bigger clubs playing at resorts in the holiday season, but they don't seem to be so much of a factor now. The police don't (or didn't) see the fixtures before the draft stage and don't have any other input than that.

New clubs entering the league get low-key home games for the first couple of weeks so they can sort out any problems and if you think it's typical of the league's idiocy when clubs have their longest journeys midweek, they ask for that to prevent overnight stays. All in all it's a very complicated process and the man who does it has my utmost respect. 

Thanks for the insight Dave. Sounds like a lot of plate spinning, with the inevitable crash here and there!  ;)

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2020, 01:03:56 PM »
It is. The funniest was some years ago when if I remember it right, Blackburn were in the League Cup semis and also in danger of relegation. This would have caused a problem because European weeks coincided with a round of Championship midweek fixtures. Anyway, either they got knocked out or didn't get relegated, which was a huge relief to the committee, right up until the time that Ipswich, who went down, got a UEFA Cup fair play place.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 05:59:40 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2020, 11:36:09 PM »
Wolves were asking for them and Chelsea to get the Manchester clubs first up. Chelsea and Wolves actually played Man. United first two games last season.

Would seem very logical but apparently TV didn't want Manchester derby too early in the season.

The TV companies don't see the fixtures until they're compiled.

They can request for certain games not to take place in certain weeks, same for the police so for instance you don't get a major derby on the first or last day of the season.

Edit: Oh didn't see you were on the fixtures ITK Dave. Surprised the police don't have as much say as a few years back.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:38:01 PM by SoccerHQ »

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2020, 11:48:02 PM »
Wolves were asking for them and Chelsea to get the Manchester clubs first up. Chelsea and Wolves actually played Man. United first two games last season.

Would seem very logical but apparently TV didn't want Manchester derby too early in the season.

The TV companies don't see the fixtures until they're compiled.

They can request for certain games not to take place in certain weeks, same for the police so for instance you don't get a major derby on the first or last day of the season.

Edit: Oh didn't see you were on the fixtures ITK Dave. Surprised the police don't have as much say as a few years back.

It's never been the case that the police have any input into fixture compilation until the final draft.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2020, 12:34:34 AM »
IIRC while a lot of pairings are obvious, some are less so but can be to do with train stations in use etc. Pretty sure Walsall pair with us.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2020, 12:39:21 PM »
It is. The funniest was some years ago when if I remember it right, Blackburn were in the League Cup semis and also in danger of relegation. This would have caused a problem because European weeks coincided with a round of Championship midweek fixtures. Anyway, either they got knocked out or didn't get relegated, which was a huge relief to the committee, right up until the time that Ipswich, who went down, got a UEFA Cup fair play place.
There must be something in here but far too complex for me to understand. :-\

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2020, 05:17:13 PM »
From Ashley Preece

Fulham away moved again, Villa fans! Fixture at Craven Cottage now confirmed for Monday, September 28 (6pm kick-off). Back-to-back Monday night fixtures for Aston Villa's #PL start with Sheffield United (Sept 21) & Fulham (Sept 28).

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2020, 10:34:17 AM »
https://blog.betway.com/football/premier-league/why-a-fast-start-to-the-premier-league-is-more-crucial-than-ever/

This I find fascinating goes in with my line of thinking and is good barometer.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2020, 10:46:43 AM »
Cheers F-V, interesting stuff especially if we can get 15 points on board after 10 games. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal