collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: North Stand Demolition  (Read 23137 times)

Offline rob_bridge

Re: North Stand Demolition
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2020, 03:36:28 PM »
If Villa stay in the top league after 20/21 and a vaccine is available in the next 12months or so then full grounds will be commonplace including Villa Park

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2020, 03:49:51 PM »
Delayed by at least 12 months I would have thought - just far too much uncertainty around Covid, economic conditions, football finances, and our stability in PL.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2020, 04:08:08 PM »
I honestly wouldn't bank on it.

Even those will want to go will have second thoughts if they have elderly/vulnerable relatives or work in the public sector etc.

And there will be plenty who have got into a nice routine of watching it at home/ in the boozer for a fraction of the cost. Or they've have found alternative hobbies for Sat/ Sun that don't include Villa booting them in the nuts continuously.  Garden centres with the misses, and the like. Takes allsorts.

It will be at least 6 months before there are significant crowds allowed back, my guess by then is there will be a lot of people desperate to go to matches.  Creating a waiting list for season tickets was a smart move by the club, promoting urgency to renew amongst existing season ticket holders as well as encouraging those on the waiting list buy tickets for any matches that become available, not just the supposedly more attractive fixtures.  It;s the first time in my lifetime as a supporter that pretty much every game has been a guaranteed sell-out.

None of this means there will be any quick moves to increase the capacity however.  I'd imagine the club will want to create more demand, get more people onto waiting lists and have them ready to buy before committing to any rebuild, and as I have said before potentially look at a wider scale redevelopment that encompasses Witton Lane as well.  There is also the practicalities of committing to a new stand - I imaging the planning permission we had previously is now lapsed, the designs as they were will be out of date and then we will need to go through a huge amount of consultation.  The reality is we are probably at least 5 years away from any redevelopment, but hopefully when it does happen it will be something worth waiting for.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2020, 04:49:14 PM »
Not sure about the herd theory.

If there’s never a vaccine there really won’t be full stadiums as long as we are alive.

Sad times.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2020, 05:34:29 PM »

If there’s never a vaccine there really won’t be full stadiums as long as we are alive.

Sad times.
I never believed the Herd theory: I think he was just a little hot-headed rather than stark-staring bonkers.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2020, 05:47:50 PM »
Be it for safe physical use two seasons or ten seasons from now, the North Stand needs demolished and rebuilt. Has done for years and years. Putting it off any further is foolish - as others have said, there'll never be a better opportunity to get the work started safely and without any (additional) loss in attendance revenue that we're not already incurring.

It needed to be done 10-15 years ago. The facilities as appalling and it is an eyesore.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2020, 08:39:09 PM »
Be it for safe physical use two seasons or ten seasons from now, the North Stand needs demolished and rebuilt. Has done for years and years. Putting it off any further is foolish - as others have said, there'll never be a better opportunity to get the work started safely and without any (additional) loss in attendance revenue that we're not already incurring.

It needed to be done 10-15 years ago. The facilities as appalling and it is an eyesore.
Hear hear. Nothing more to say.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2020, 10:13:46 PM »
Yeah, I think it will be like after World War II, where people will feel desperate to watch sport and we could have record attendances

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2020, 10:32:05 PM »
There will be no crowds unless a vaccine is produced.

Away fans are years away

Offline wince

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2020, 08:01:23 AM »
There will be no crowds unless a vaccine is produced.

Away fans are years away

The pandemic will die down soon. There is 100 years between us and the influenza epidemic. Next couple of years are uncertain but as we learn more about the virus, things will get better.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2020, 12:08:37 PM »
I think it is a reasonable working assumption that a vaccine will be available in 12-18 months.

Though for me, the more compelling argument is that the stand is not fit for purpose and whenever it is redeveloped it will reduce capacity for a period, so I see an advantage in at least part of that happening when the stadium cannot accommodate any fans (if that can be organised, i.e. games being put on and some work happening).

For a change, I got tickets for the North Stand Lower last season and access was rubbish and there was no space to escape the weather (it was a foul day).

I'm old school, so whilst I would be delighted to have a pint at half-time, I can cope without having a 'comprehensive food and beverage offer available' but reasonable access to and from my seat and to go for a pee without having to wade through crowds of people seeking shelter or trying for a pint or pie seems a minimum expectation.

I expect a full-house to mean crowded spaces (!) but trying to get the bogs and back felt like a throwback to the 80s.

I think it would be a great opportunity to extend the provision of safe standing and I would welcome that.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2020, 12:23:45 PM »
If a new stand can be built before a vaccine, we could make the turnstyles work using the chips that Bill Gates is putting in the vaccine.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2020, 01:22:28 PM »

Sad times.

As long as we are alive? Jesus, talk about sensationalist

I think some of the southern hemisphere countries such as New Zealand who have been filling stadia for months now would disagree with you.

If we manage this correctly, we will get it down to a point where it is possible to fill Villa Park again.

Spreading shite like "Won't happen again ever in our lifetime without a vaccine" just encourages idiots to be laissez-faire about masks and hygiene when they go to Tesco or wherever.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2020, 02:28:14 PM »

Sad times.

As long as we are alive? Jesus, talk about sensationalist

I think some of the southern hemisphere countries such as New Zealand who have been filling stadia for months now would disagree with you.

If we manage this correctly, we will get it down to a point where it is possible to fill Villa Park again.

Spreading shite like "Won't happen again ever in our lifetime without a vaccine" just encourages idiots to be laissez-faire about masks and hygiene when they go to Tesco or wherever.

It’s merely an opinion-if there’s not a vaccine do you think the government will just say fill your boots and have 42k every other week?

For the record I haven’t worn a mask once and have no intention to either.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2020, 02:32:41 PM »
That is a great surprise.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal