collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Arsenal Post Match Thread  (Read 20949 times)

Online Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
Re: Aston Villa v Arsenal Post Match Thread
« Reply #255 on: July 22, 2020, 03:12:51 PM »
I can only picture all you cricket types as wearing Portillo coloured trousers with a jauntily tied yellow V-neck over the shoulders!

No sweater over the shoulders, I'm afraid, but I'd love a pair of Portillo's trousers. As long as he hadn't already worn them.

I need a pair for my train journeys.

Offline Kevin Dawson

« Reply #256 on: July 22, 2020, 03:14:01 PM »
Try imagining getting your teeth smashed out by an Andy Roberts lifter like Botham did at Lords in a practice match

I believe it was actually at Taunton, in a Somerset v Hampshire B&H Cup match.....

Online Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #257 on: July 22, 2020, 03:41:04 PM »
Try imagining getting your teeth smashed out by an Andy Roberts lifter like Botham did at Lords in a practice match

How aggressive of you.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #258 on: July 22, 2020, 03:48:37 PM »
Anyone seen the interview with Kalvin Phillips today - that has been so helpfully shared by the Meaning Evil site?!

No, just their headline about Tony Adams telling Arsenal to buy one of our players. I'm guessing Jack but I didn't click on the article for obvious reasons.

Being supportive as ever, are they?

He’s said he is glad he stayed at Leeds because otherwise he would be getting relegated with Villa! Which could be true but we haven’t gone yet! Someone should mention it to our players.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #260 on: July 22, 2020, 05:42:31 PM »
I see that Derby lad has changed his tune (the troll with the 'Villa's goin down, down, down, down, down' tune)...

https://twitter.com/TheOfficialHRH/status/1285686953795637255?s=20

Still an utter bellend, but fair play to him. Good sport.  ;)

He's Wolves, and nearly every post he does is about us, rarely mentions his own team.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #261 on: July 22, 2020, 05:44:06 PM »
Yeah an absolute bellend.  Hard to believe he's a university student who will be looking for a job in the next year or so.

Offline dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #262 on: July 22, 2020, 06:01:29 PM »
Just spoke to a good friend who is an Aresenal season ticket holder. He was spitting feathers at the way they played, in light of the previous two wins. Complimentary about the Villa though.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #263 on: July 22, 2020, 08:44:33 PM »
Anybody worried about our keeper?
Somehow he got MOTM on Talksport (!) despite the fumble and not having a shot to save.
I guess I would still go with him for Sunday.

The defence put up a really good display. Hause's injury was a blessing in disguise as Konsa is better in his normal position allowing us to play full-backs at full-back.

I know he’s had mental aberrations at Southampton and Leicester, but I quite like Reina. Seems a bit mad, but also seems to ooze authority with the defence, just what we need for now. Saying all that no idea why he got MOM on talksport, gives a false impression of the game if nothing else. One of grealish, Konsa or Guilbert for me.

Offline Ditton33

« Reply #264 on: July 22, 2020, 08:53:39 PM »
Good observation from the Henry Winter report in The Times.

"If there was ever a team that would consider a 27th-minute goal too early, it would be Aston Villa. In the league they have conceded the most in the last 30 minutes of matches. This time there was no room for error. Each Villa clearance was met with rallying cries from team-mates."

Stiring stuff!

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #265 on: July 22, 2020, 08:57:50 PM »
Yeah an absolute bellend.  Hard to believe he's a university student who will be looking for a girlfriend in the next decade or so.

Fixed.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #266 on: July 22, 2020, 09:43:19 PM »
Game management and silly mistakes have been our downfall, not the effort and commitment of the players. This group should never be lumped into the same category as the teams of 1987 and 2016.

Agreed.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #267 on: July 22, 2020, 09:44:59 PM »
It’s still not over and Sunday will be a nightmare, but I have to pipe up because it’s something that I’ve seen on here and has  pissed me off no end in the last few weeks.

The team might still not be good enough to stay up. Dean Smith might still be tactically naive and have not made the right decisions at the right time. But anyone who has said this team don’t have bollocks, don’t work hard enough or don’t care enough is just fucking wrong. We’ve had enough piss takers in the last ten years. and this team are not that.  So anyone who has called the manager or any of the players cowards in the last month, then it’s about time you apologised.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2025
« Reply #268 on: July 23, 2020, 02:37:51 AM »
Henry Winter has written something nice about us!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/trezeguet-triggers-hopes-of-great-aston-villa-escape-after-shock-win-over-arsenal-h2kmdrpgq?shareToken=a0c490916d29a8159ede152f4270483c

I hope that works

A lovely read.

I haven't finished listening to it yet but, for the first time in memory looking to listen to something Villa the morning after, I foolishly resorted to streaming talksport. 

Futile mistake. This is what should have soundtracked the morning nappy change:

39 mins of Beeb radio to stream
Is the great escape on for Villa? https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08lgtnf

One further point of information.
Trez lashed that goal in.
I've not seen anyone correctly describe it. It was fast even in action replay.
So he lashed it.
The full Partidge if you like https://youtu.be/mGLSeWYCggw

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #269 on: July 23, 2020, 07:54:14 AM »
Reading the comments, im surprised how many fans who love the Villa enough to be active members on a Villa fan site chose not to watch the game last night. As uncomfortable as it was, the emotions watching a game like that stirs up are why everyone got into football in the first place no? There is always a chance of a performance like that, or the play-off semi or the league cup semi. Don't get me wrong, I could barely watch injury time and came up with some ridiculous system of pausing tv for a minute and watching a minute at a time on fast forward to get me through it but bloody hell, that was up there with the best ive seen.
This isnt a criticism BTW so please dont take offence, just an observation of the notion of having access/ability to watch the Villa in such an important game and choosing not to (for what ever reason), is completely and totally alien to me. Im glad my wife wasnt in labour last night or I would be spending a shit tonne on flowers this morning....

I’ve been a ST holder for many years and I didn’t watch.

I think it’s the helplessness of watching on TV that I can’t bare. At least at the game you feel that encouragement can make a difference on the field. The last few minutes were excruciating, sitting in the garden waiting for the phone to vibrate with news of the equaliser.

I think superstition may now preclude me from watching on Sunday now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal