collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 11:32:37 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:32:10 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 11:29:53 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:28:14 AM]

[Today at 11:27:58 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 11:27:36 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Dave
[Today at 11:22:17 AM]

[Today at 11:20:41 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next season arrangements  (Read 5856 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Next season arrangements
« on: July 18, 2020, 10:37:26 AM »
Regardless of the league we were in arrangements for next season are going to be a long way from normal. A couple of quotes from an article in the Guardian this morning set out current thinking. Thought it would be useful to have a thread just on arrangements away from the general discussion.

This month discussions were held regarding the return of fans to all grounds next season as part of “stage five” of the return of professional sport, with the closing of toilets at half-time, filling one in every three seats and a ban on away support among the ideas proposed.

Sports minister, Nigel Huddleston.

“I recognise not every sport, team or club has the benefit of huge commercial revenue and it is often their dedicated fans that are the lifeblood which helps keep them going. By working closely with sports and medical experts, these pilots will help ensure the safe return of fans to stadia.

Although it will remain some time before venues are full to capacity, this is a major step in the right direction for the resumption of live spectator sport across the country.”

This clearly has implications for us, a third of seats is under 15k available so how does that work when season ticket numbers this season are double that?

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
Re: Next season arrangements
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 10:42:17 AM »
Where do they propose people go for a piss?

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 10:45:12 AM »
Maybe they will offer season tickets on the basis of how long you have held your ST, ie 15+ seasons 1st, then 10+ etc.

I hope they don’t shut the loos at half time, I will be in big trouble 😆

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 10:54:46 AM »
Still waiting for my refund from this  season.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 11:00:42 AM »
There will be long lasting ramifications from this.

Even when things return to a degree of normality, plenty of fans - especially those who were regulars before the lockdown - might find that they've found a more productive/ less stressful way to spend a Saturday or Sunday and quite enjoy the new normal sans Villa torture.

Also, whilst most top flight clubs could probably -as things stand - cope with a hit to the gate receipts due to the various TV deals, for clubs lower down the footballing pyramid they are the lifeblood. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 11:02:24 AM by KevinGage »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 11:04:02 AM »
Regardless of the league we were in arrangements for next season are going to be a long way from normal. A couple of quotes from an article in the Guardian this morning set out current thinking. Thought it would be useful to have a thread just on arrangements away from the general discussion.

This month discussions were held regarding the return of fans to all grounds next season as part of “stage five” of the return of professional sport, with the closing of toilets at half-time, filling one in every three seats and a ban on away support among the ideas proposed.

Sports minister, Nigel Huddleston.

“I recognise not every sport, team or club has the benefit of huge commercial revenue and it is often their dedicated fans that are the lifeblood which helps keep them going. By working closely with sports and medical experts, these pilots will help ensure the safe return of fans to stadia.

Although it will remain some time before venues are full to capacity, this is a major step in the right direction for the resumption of live spectator sport across the country.”

This clearly has implications for us, a third of seats is under 15k available so how does that work when season ticket numbers this season are double that?

I would think that demand will drop off from the last two seasons, as there will be much less excitement about a second stint in the Championship compared to a first season back in the Premier League.  But a much bigger factor will be potential unemployment and the ending of furlough payments, which will hit a lot of people from the autumn you would think, plus the general nervousness around coronavirus in general. 

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 11:04:33 AM »
Yet more half cocked thinking from this Government - policy on the hoof without any rational thinking behind it - who on earth comes up with a suggestion to shut toilets at half time without a reasonable and workable alternative? Perhaps the rugby supporting twats will suggest pissing into a bottle or hip flask :(

Offline Damo70

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 11:04:55 AM »
Where do they propose people go for a piss?

Buy some waterproof trousers. It will be like the seventies with people pissing up each other like they have been stung by a jellyfish.  ;) I am probably approaching the adult diapers stage of life anyway.

Offline colin69

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 11:06:50 AM »
I suppose the fairest way would be those who’ve had ST’s the longest get first pick.
I’ve had one on and off for years but only for the last 3 years in a row at present so I will probably miss out. I did opt for the voucher/credit option which I wanted to put towards the next ST but that’s not looking toI likely with those proposals until grounds are full again.
God knows how people will get by if the loos are shut at half time, I couldn’t.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 11:12:12 AM »
You have to remember that the Government will change direction every week jus like they have been doing for the last 4 months. No one has an idea how this will pan out if allowed.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 11:12:18 AM »
Maybe they will offer season tickets on the basis of how long you have held your ST, ie 15+ seasons 1st, then 10+ etc.

Problem with that is they risk losing fans who can’t get tickets on a permanent basis. As for the loos if they don’t sell drinks and the pubs around stay closed it might not be such an issue.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 11:18:32 AM »
I suppose the fairest way would be those who’ve had ST’s the longest get first pick.
You mean push old people in first? ;)

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 11:20:13 AM »
There will be long lasting ramifications from this.

Even when things return to a degree of normality, plenty of fans - especially those who were regulars before the lockdown - might find that they've found a more productive/ less stressful way to spend a Saturday or Sunday and quite enjoy the new normal sans Villa torture.

Also, whilst most top flight clubs could probably -as things stand - cope with a hit to the gate receipts due to the various TV deals, for clubs lower down the footballing pyramid they are the lifeblood. 
I think there is something in this.
I think there may be a significant number of people who go to home games out of habit as much as anything. I know a couple of blokes who moan about going but they still go because it’s what they have done for decades.
Now watching every game on the box has ‘broken the seal’ so to speak and I think there is every possibility they won’t renew. Not going is not as painful as they thought.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2020, 11:29:57 AM »

Problem with that is they risk losing fans who can’t get tickets on a permanent basis. As for the loos if they don’t sell drinks and the pubs around stay closed it might not be such an issue.
But that doesn't take into consideration people with health issues Chris - such as diabetics or people with urinary problems - the withdrawal of facilities may contravene the Equality Act and the provision of toilets for those with disabilities

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2020, 11:31:22 AM »
Yeah, it's a stupid idea IMO, and would just lead to a rush of everyone going on 40 minutes, which defeats the whole object.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal