collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by PeterWithe
[Today at 08:06:23 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by jwarry
[Today at 08:04:36 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by N'ZMAV
[Today at 07:57:28 AM]

NSWE Investment by Clampy
[Today at 07:36:01 AM]

Ollie Watkins by stevo_st
[Today at 07:04:35 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next season arrangements  (Read 5854 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Next season arrangements
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2020, 01:56:22 PM »
To be fair, I don't think the government are really worrying about the likes of the Villa with this.

As per the original quote, this is aimed at the clubs who don't have large chunks of commercial revenue. Those same clubs probably have a huge amount of capacity versus their average crowds, so this allows them to open up and get some much needed income.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2020, 02:02:17 PM »
There must be thousands of match goers that will not go until it is safe.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2020, 02:12:36 PM »
True, plus you will have natural wastage of some fans not renewing if we drop a league. I'd imagine even more games than before will be televised and can see a few being 6pm midweek kick offs, all factors which will put people off.

Still, despite that, I'd be surprised if any game had less than a 25,000 demand for tickets and be equally surprised if we are able to have more than 15,000 attendees, so something will have to give.

Offline MillerBall

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2020, 02:20:13 PM »
If the decision was taken to close the toilets then this would certainly have a negative effect on the attendance.
A few years ago both Leeds and Villa had the huge misfortune to have a large numbers of their games moved to daft times due to TV coverage. With Leeds bring promoted there will be a considerable number of TV slots to fill and we could well fall foul of being the main team to fill the daft kick off times - which will impact on attendances.
All conjecture of course but even the football world post covid will have to change.
Would it be sensible for instance if 10,000 folks from Cov travel to St Blandrews for home games.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2020, 02:50:54 PM »
They'll only have to worry about that many Coventry fans making the trip once, next season.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2020, 04:12:09 PM »
Perhaps Villa Ladies could play at half 12 which would be a great way of attracting wider interest now they're in the WSL..
Just thinking about it, if you were to hold WSL games at VP immediately before 'away' games, then show the away match on the big screens - season ticket holders could still go to the same number of matches as they would before (50% home, 50% away/ladies). And the women's team would likely have pretty impressive attendance figures.

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2020, 04:18:38 PM »
Still waiting for my refund from this  season.
Same here.

Don't get me started on the toilets being closed!

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2020, 04:49:30 PM »
Would seem rather strange to close toilets with all the advice surrounding the washing of hands being vital to staving off the virus?

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2020, 05:03:27 PM »
someone's taking the piss.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2020, 05:07:27 PM »
Would seem rather strange to close toilets with all the advice surrounding the washing of hands being vital to staving off the virus?

I'm guessing the idea is to spread the number of people needing the loo out over the 90 minutes of football rather than have everyone rushing to the loo during half time.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2020, 05:35:38 PM »
Cant be many with nigh on 30 years continuous service home and away. You can accommodate those of us who fit that criteria and those that are younger or more infrequent in their support.

I hope so. Apart from going infrequently when I was away at uni (frustratingly the mid 90s when we had a bloody good team) I’ve either had a season ticket or otherwise gone to most home matches and a few away games since the early 80s. My kids are 10 and 13 and have been going to most matches since the first year bk in the championship and season. Ticket holders for last two seasons. As we all know the villa bug gets you as a kid, and it would be a shame if those links start to get broken.
Then again, half empty villa park, not much atmosphere and shite football, sounds very much like the late 80s!!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 05:39:39 PM by RamboandBruno »

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2020, 12:38:45 AM »
As said the PL teams ( and newly relegated with parachute payments ) may be ok for next season but with little or no fans the Championship  and leagues below  are going to struggle to get through the season IMO.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2020, 11:42:50 AM »
One suggestion being mooted is that tickets have a time on them when you are allowed into the ground.  If you are not there at that particular time then you do not get in.  Also to leave the ground sections would be allowed to leave when told so that there is no congregation of fans at the exits.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2020, 11:45:04 AM »
It all sounds shit. Just have the season behind closed doors and wait for a vaccine.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2020, 12:38:38 PM »
It does sound shite unfortunately. The one of the unique things about English football, due mainly to the relatively small size of the country, is the mass of travelling away fans, you just don’t get that in say Spain. It makes the atmosphere a lot of the time, at least the banter between fans. Also if we do end up back in the championship, one of the few plus points was being able to get away tickets relatively easily and our mass away support definitely played a part in our promotion last time. Good days out as well. I understand the need for clubs that are going to struggle financially to get some fans back, just all sounds like sanitized naffness. Maybe we’ll get used to it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal