collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Liverpool vs Aston Villa post match thread  (Read 14444 times)

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
Re: Liverpool vs Aston Villa post match thread
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2020, 09:54:20 PM »
I don’t understand how people know that Dean has no choice or say in the players that came. Lots of posters on here know a lot about how we do things. What if, they were Deans choice and he asked others to get them? Of course that couldn’t be right. I will admit I have no idea (unlike a lot on here!) but I don’t see how Dean gets away with this.
No, I don't get that either.  I can't recall anything he or anyone else has said that indicates he's unhappy or feels let down.  Of course he won't have had full say on who we buy but that's not the way this structure works.  Besides, if his picking of Davis over Samatta indicates anything it's that he's not a particularly good judge of a player either.  Who knows who we'd have ended up with if Smith had had full control.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2020, 09:56:33 PM »
He certainly wouldn't have had full control at Brentford looking at their model. Probably had more say here than there, clearly knew Konsa, Hause, Mings, AEG and Jota from working with them here or at Brentford.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2020, 10:32:41 PM »
I don’t think there is anything suspicious about his picking Davis. I genuinely believe he is trying to play a game where a big CF holds up the ball and the players behind him come in to support. It allows him to pack the midfield and provide greater defensive structure. He cannot play that way with Samatta.

What cannot be denied is that we have looked more resolute at the back. What also cannot be denied is that as a hold up CF Davis isn’t very good and the support players aren’t much better. And the fact that he cannot hold up the ball, something Wesley was much better at means we keep giving it away. This means players like Jack drop deeper and we don’t play higher up the pitch. Now we are better structurally, better organized but in doing so have sacrificed all creativity.

The system we have today isn’t a 4-5-1, isn’t a 4-3-3, isn’t a diamond, isn’t anything really that works. It’s a hodge podge of players and systems that don’t work. That’s the issue.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 10:34:53 PM by Toronto Villa »

Offline Villan82

« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2020, 10:40:28 PM »
Liverpool bring on those 3 subs and kills us.

The scales are always against you in this league.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2020, 10:42:14 PM »
The five sub rule is a killer for the lower sides. None of us has the depth to compete with the top sides.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2020, 11:14:50 PM »
First time posting, so be gentle please. Have been supporting Villa 45 years now, so seen it all, good and bad.

It was clear in the Summer that the home market was massively overpriced  and we needed to sign a lot of players. Having to pay £14 Million for Targett and £13 Million for Konza as examples,  not recognised Prem players tells us how much established Prem players would cost. So we ended up buying from cheaper leagues abroad and hoped they would step up. In most cases they haven't.  The truth is I'm not convinced Smith had a final or total say in many signings. This of course does not help when Smith himself has been found wanting tactically too many times this season,  but he is still new to the Prem

Since Post lockdown some of the selections have been baffling I agree (particularly Trez). I do wonder now just how much  Smith has a say in our signings.   When you chose to play Davis (and I would have too) and leave out a £10 mil striker when we can't score goals tells me Smith doesn't rate him or know how to play him. Either way I'm convinced Samatta is not Smiths player, along with many others....and with that, even with relegation, Smith should maybe keep his job and Suso sacked. Smith must then have responsibility to stand or fall by his own signings and hopefully buy players that fit a system he wants us to play

Welcome AlwaysVilla.
Good post and I agree with a lot of what you say.
I think he persists with Davies rightly or wrongly as believes he can hold the ball up and bring the wingers and grealish into play higher up the pitch. I think he’s decided post lockdown to go a bit more direct and doesn’t think Samatta can do this job as well. The problem isn’t necessarily Davies per se, it’s the fact when he does get hold of it there’s no one close enough to him. Although we did this better today I thought. I think Luiz played well but should of done a bit better with his half volley, grealish for me should of scored at 0-2 as well. Trez shouldn’t be in the side for the rest of the season for me not Jota, give the kid vassilev a chance.

Think something must have happened with Samatta during the lockdown period.  He was clearly the first choice striker before then and was doing OK, but is then dropped to the bench first game back.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2020, 11:19:55 PM »
Did Smith play Reina at Anfield for sentimental reasons?
Not one of your most perceptive posts, to be honest.
:)I will accept the criticism entirely. Posted in post match anger.

Online Skerra

« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2020, 11:26:44 PM »
Sadly, Davis can not control the ball very well, does his best, but nowhere like good enough for this standard of football. He may do better in the championship but League 1 would probably be like his standard. Jack has either got his mind on other matters or, carrying an injury. A former shadow of himself. Trez may get some admiring glances from National League teams.
I’m another one that thought DS was a good appointment but, again, sadly not up to Premier League thinking and decision making.
Like others, I’m still hoping for a miracle but, if Watford get a result in their next 2 games, the inevitable will happen.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2020, 11:31:17 PM »
It's not inevitable, though.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2020, 11:47:15 PM »
The players put the effort in, McGinn showed improvement and Louiz was MOM for me. Our goal average didn't take a hammering as we expected but why Jotta?
Davis like any other centre forward cannot function without support, even Danny Ings would struggle. We expected to lose so i don't see how losing to Liverpool affects our survival, the games against Crystal Palace and Arsenal have more relevence.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2020, 11:56:10 PM »
Davis like any other centre forward cannot function without support, even Danny Ings would struggle.
True but Benteke managed to create chances for himself out of nothing.

Online Skerra

« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2020, 12:23:08 AM »
Legion, just wish I had your enthusiasm but, sadly, our team this season has knocked the stuffing out of me. Each game, I think, today is the day we start turning our fortunes around but, when the match has finished, I’m drained yet again. Still hope that you’re right and I’m wrong though.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2020, 12:25:11 AM »
Don't think our players deserved that result tonight. I liked our shape defensively and in a game of previous few chances I thought we looked the most likely before Manes opener. Thought Reina's dive to stop the second was snowman esque.

Grealish, I'd give him credit tonight as was playing one one leg and was still the classiest player on view. McGinns best performance in months and Luiz was excellent. Effort wise you couldn't fault anyone. That aside the likes of the abysmal Trez and Davis showed how lightweight we are up front. The ball Grealish put in just before half time with his left that Robertson put away for a corner. sorry but a top centre forward scores that. Davis was yards away from even competing with Robertson.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2020, 12:26:12 AM »
Liverpool bring on those 3 subs and kills us.

The scales are always against you in this league.

One of them was a 19 year old.

Offline Villatillidie1982

« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2020, 12:30:04 AM »
Dean Smith keeps going on about other teams having better players, not just yesterday, which makes me think that he is having a dig at others who bought the players without his input. As "head coach" he presumably has less influence than he would as "team manager". The people bringing in the players do not have sufficient knowledge about football. This seems to me to have gone on for a number of years and that may be why a lot of money has been wasted.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal