collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Liverpool vs Aston Villa post match thread  (Read 14454 times)

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
Re: Liverpool vs Aston Villa post match thread
« Reply #135 on: July 06, 2020, 10:47:28 AM »
Two positive things.

Douglas Luiz is the genuine article and is going to be a star player at Villa or someplace else.

There is a general air of confidence and calmness when Reina is between the sticks.

Agree with both those things. I'd add that defence looks solid and Konsa is growing as a player.

Nyland is decent but Reina is a leader and we need more of that.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #136 on: July 06, 2020, 10:55:12 AM »
Yes, Konsa is coming on well. I think he'll prove to be an decent buy.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2020, 11:28:33 AM »
As calamitous as he was at Leicester, hearing him bellowing endlessly yesterday gave me reassurance too.

I know he was at fault for the goal, but I felt Taylor played well. Doesn't offer much going forwards, but I was impressed with his noise and play.

He was spiky enough in the tackle anyway which made a welcome change from Targett. Thought Mings was equally, if not more, to blame than Taylor for the first.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2020, 11:30:54 AM »
Konsa looked good at right back yesterday.  I think when he's on form Guilbert is much better there, but Guilbert has it in him to have a 3/10 game as often as he does 8 or 9/10.  If Konsa can give us 7/10 there for the rest of the season then that's fine by me.  Maybe bring Guilbert in for Palace and Everton when we might not be as much under the cosh.

Offline Risso

« Reply #139 on: July 06, 2020, 11:33:25 AM »
As calamitous as he was at Leicester, hearing him bellowing endlessly yesterday gave me reassurance too.

I know he was at fault for the goal, but I felt Taylor played well. Doesn't offer much going forwards, but I was impressed with his noise and play.

That's Taylor in a nutshell though.  Useless going forward, and fine defensively, *apart from* the one or two defensive switch offs that very often lead to a goal.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #140 on: July 06, 2020, 11:34:58 AM »
That's the thing, we csnnot afford to have two full backs who cannot get forwards. I get yesterday was different, but I think we need to gamble on one attacking full back. Freddie is probably the quickest player in the squad too. He can have stinkers, but inthink he's a really good full back on the whole.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #141 on: July 06, 2020, 12:04:43 PM »
I’d be tempted to keep konsa in and play Freddie higher up. We need our best players on the pitch and trezeguet adds nothing. Our lack of pace is such an issue

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #142 on: July 06, 2020, 12:16:47 PM »
Freddie at right back with Elmo in front is much more secure because Elmo is better than AEG or Trezeguet in dropping back in and covering a full back role

Offline Risso

« Reply #143 on: July 06, 2020, 12:51:42 PM »
That's the thing, we csnnot afford to have two full backs who cannot get forwards. I get yesterday was different, but I think we need to gamble on one attacking full back. Freddie is probably the quickest player in the squad too. He can have stinkers, but inthink he's a really good full back on the whole.

What about:

Reina
       Konsa Mings Hause
Guilbert McGinn Grealish Luiz Targett
               Davis Samatta

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #144 on: July 06, 2020, 12:58:15 PM »
I actually thought AEG did pretty well yesterday, especially in the first half.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #145 on: July 06, 2020, 01:38:40 PM »
I actually thought AEG did pretty well yesterday, especially in the first half.

Agree I thought he was good.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #146 on: July 06, 2020, 01:48:29 PM »

What about:

Reina
       Konsa Mings Hause
Guilbert McGinn Grealish Luiz Targett
               Davis Samatta

The problem with that is that you have to dominate the ball or it ends up becoming a 541 like formation with both wingbacks marking wingers and midfield covering the fullbacsk so a striker has to help in there and you have 1-2 centre halves stood with nothing much to do. Watch the Man City game where Drinkwater debuted and it shows exactly why wing backs in a 5 are so rare now.

Our formation isn't the problem, it's that too many of our players are 10 yards deeper than they should be so teams can just dominate possession in front of us. It's made our defence a little better but left us with very little attacking threat.

Offline Risso

« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2020, 01:56:46 PM »
Watch the Man City game where Drinkwater debuted and it shows exactly why wing backs in a 5 are so rare now.

I think Danny Drinkwater was the main issue in that game, whatever formation we played.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #148 on: July 06, 2020, 03:24:34 PM »
Firstly - I saw Mings as the failure for their first goal

I thought overall from defence to breaking away we played as well as we have for a while against a 2nd gear 'The Mighty Reds YNWA'. The issue is not just blunt forwards but the support they provide for other players to run by them.

The ball in by Grealish to Davis's feet was world class and was crying out for the lay back and shot from Grealish. Instead Davis tried a spin and ended up trapping it further than I could kick it - total garbage at this level.

I honestly think Hologram would offer more on the left wing that Trez who is a charlatan - he is more Tresume than Trezuget.

As for the Coach  - the clue is in the title - I think he may have had some input into signings but that clearly was the remit of Richard Madleys double and I agree with the new poster of the home grown players costing ridiculous money so we looked for cheaper alternates. He certainly made the coach role clear when he arrived as it was how he operated at Brentford

Its almost Fulham esque

The red scum will have a field day as we could not beat the bastards when we were decent - so God help us this time.

Arsenal hit form and Palace are a bit of a bogey team - its not looking good

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2020, 03:30:49 PM »

That's Taylor in a nutshell though.  Useless going forward, and fine defensively, *apart from* the one or two defensive switch offs that very often lead to a goal.

In a nutshell we shouldn’t be relying on Targett or Taylor at PL level. And certainly not a 31 year old Taylor, now as our primary LB option in a relegation battle. Targett is a back up LB at best at this level. We should have bought better.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal