collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Billy Walker
[March 28, 2024, 11:13:11 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 11:07:05 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:06:11 PM]

Re: COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:01:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Reserves and Academy 2020-21  (Read 99175 times)

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: Reserves and Academy 2020-21
« Reply #810 on: May 15, 2021, 07:07:50 PM »
Last night was interesting for me...there were a lot of names knocking around. First to arrive was Sir Brian Little followed by some of the first team coaching staff and U23 group. Neil Cuttler, Boateng, Mark Delaney. All came over to the WBA ‘area’ and said ‘hello’. Big Sam landed with Sammy Lee. Obviously they all seem to know each other...social distancing out of the window.
Deans and JT were next in, again they came over to welcome everyone. Both very affable. Delano enjoyed me working at WBA, but supporting Villa, ‘win win for you tonight’.
The best was yet to come for me as I had a few minutes with Jack and SJM at half time, both really good lads. They enjoyed seeing my young lads in Villa kits with ‘Grealish’ and ‘McGinn’ on the back. SJM particularly enjoyed ‘the wee man’. Jack commented that he hadn’t focused much on education while in the Academy system...SJM said ‘you can tell’. I have to admit, I was a bit start struck.

The game was dominated by Villa and Big Sam commentated for anyone round him throughout the whole game. He particularly liked ‘the 10’ for Villa and his runs forward.

Smithy is correct with the success rate, if one or two make the first team regularly in the next couple of years, we would have done well. The rest will make a decent fist of it in the lower leagues.
A lot of lower league clubs see kids graduate to the first team, the issue Cat 2 or 3 players have is if they are released its very difficult to be picked up and you return to grassroots. At Cat 1 clubs, if you are released there’s a chance you’ll be picked up by a lower level club. What i have learnt in the last 6 months is it is a brutally tough business. Kids are offered 2 and 3 year contracts, others are told ‘no thanks’ and although help and support is offered, they are naturally devastated. We had two who simply disengaged from training and education when told. It’s like splitting up from your first girlfriend...the love of your life.
Agents are also heavily involved, demanding better contracts and signing fees (for a 17/18 year old). They also promise the lads the earth, ‘you’ve been released by XXX, no problem, I’ve got you a trial period at West Ham, Watford, Palace...’. One of our boys is expecting to fly to the US for trials at Inter Miami, because his agent has said ‘they’re interested’. The boy has barely played during his two year scholarship, a sub appearance here and there.
It’s tough. For every Captain Jack, there are hundreds on the other side of the fence.

I don't think it's anything new (I mean the disappointment for the vast majority of kids who come through top-flight youth systems).  Two lads from my year at school came through at Villa in the same year as Ricky Scimeca - he was the only one that 'made it'.   One of them spent about two years in the lower leagues, the other spent a couple of years playing in Australia I believe - but that was it.

I also spent three years playing with a lad who came through the Leeds academy (he was on the bench when they beat Man Utd's in the FA Youth Cup, the team with Nevilles, Scholes Beckham etc).  I'm sure he said Noel Whelan was the only one of that side that had a decent top-flight career, and only a couple of others played professionally at all.

I'm sure it's hugely disappointing for the kids themselves, but I would hope that these days the clubs are doing much more to prepare the kids if football doesn't ultimately provide them with a living.

Offline Rotterdam

• GM : 06.03.2025
« Reply #811 on: May 15, 2021, 07:08:59 PM »
Locally, Villa are as popular as the proverbial pork chop at a bar mitzvah. The academy hierarchy are recruiting the best players from around the area; they been likened with ‘captain Birdseye, trawling the waters of the West Midlands for players’. Talk is they are considering ‘A’ and ‘B’ teams are certain age groups. The current U18s have more or less two teams as it is.
I’ve been shocked by the alleged money which flies around. Agents approaching U12/13 lads and parents. One coach I know said its ‘like legalised child exploitation’...I’m no way suggesting Villa or WBA are involved. I’m well away from that area. But signing fees, agent fees, parental ‘costs’ exist in academy footy.
We’ve spent around £6m on the team, buildings and infrastructure, which should bare fruit in the future. As suggested earlier, if three or maybe four can break through...that’s an absolute steal.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #812 on: May 15, 2021, 07:09:24 PM »
Chukwuemeka and Barry looked like they had the sort of understanding with eachother that you see in top players. It will be nice to see that develop into a first team understanding.

Thanks for the report Rotterdam, interesting reading.

Other clubs stockpile talent and sell them on for good money, even if they don't fully breakthrough and become regulars. How much will Abraham go if they sell him this summer. That would be a good place to get to if we cherry pick the best for us and then loan and eventually sell others who can be good players for other clubs and we just don't happen to have a place for them.

Really encouraged to see what the club are doing at youth level.

Offline Smithy

« Reply #813 on: May 15, 2021, 07:21:57 PM »
Chukwuemeka and Barry looked like they had the sort of understanding with eachother that you see in top players. It will be nice to see that develop into a first team understanding.

Thanks for the report Rotterdam, interesting reading.

Other clubs stockpile talent and sell them on for good money, even if they don't fully breakthrough and become regulars. How much will Abraham go if they sell him this summer. That would be a good place to get to if we cherry pick the best for us and then loan and eventually sell others who can be good players for other clubs and we just don't happen to have a place for them.

Really encouraged to see what the club are doing at youth level.

Now you mention it, the financial aspect is interesting, especially if 'financial fair play' continues to be a thing - I'm guessing a homegrown player sold for a reasonable amount is about as good for FFP numbers as it's possible to be?

Offline OCD

« Reply #814 on: May 15, 2021, 07:31:44 PM »
Well, you only need to see how expensive English players and players who have adopted to English football are. As a club we could make a lot of money from a thriving academy, as well as having a young core of players that can enhance our own development.

Developing an inner city academy potentially hints at the way the owners are thinking. Who's to say they plan to stop there?

Offline Smithy

« Reply #815 on: May 15, 2021, 07:43:46 PM »
Well, you only need to see how expensive English players and players who have adopted to English football are. As a club we could make a lot of money from a thriving academy, as well as having a young core of players that can enhance our own development.

Developing an inner city academy potentially hints at the way the owners are thinking. Who's to say they plan to stop there?

That's true - £6m spent on the academy sounds like a lot of money, but when you think about what that sort of money buys you in terms of playing talent, it's practically nothing.  One decent player coming through (whether they are sold for £6m, or are getting a regular spot in the side) makes that investment 100% worthwhile.

Offline OCD

« Reply #816 on: May 15, 2021, 09:33:01 PM »
That's the upfront investment, the running costs will be much less. A good chunk of that £6m wil just be the Bodymoor Heath upgrade and we got a chunk from selling part of the land for HS2. The owners had clearly identified the potential of this area before they had even bought the club.

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #817 on: May 17, 2021, 01:30:51 PM »
And another prospect "poached"  from a lower league club's academy. Although from the comments, this sounds quite amicable.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/kyrie-pierre-aston-villa-transfer-20612904#ICID=Android_BMNewsApp_AppShare

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #818 on: May 17, 2021, 05:28:12 PM »

Offline caster troy

« Reply #819 on: May 18, 2021, 10:14:03 AM »
Do we know when the final will be? The Villa site has this down for 7pm on the 29th, at Bodymoor Heath. The FA site says the game will happen 'before the 29th of May' but then lists it as 7pm on the 29th also 'subject to TV selections and replays.' The Liverpool site has it as TBC.

I'm sceptical about the 29th at that time as it clashes with the Champions League Final so if BT sport are going to show the youth cup I'd expect it to be on at a different time.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #820 on: May 18, 2021, 10:35:39 AM »
Do we know when the final will be? The Villa site has this down for 7pm on the 29th, at Bodymoor Heath. The FA site says the game will happen 'before the 29th of May' but then lists it as 7pm on the 29th also 'subject to TV selections and replays.' The Liverpool site has it as TBC.

I'm sceptical about the 29th at that time as it clashes with the Champions League Final so if BT sport are going to show the youth cup I'd expect it to be on at a different time.

I think that time slot is the latest the game can be played by so they're just waiting to agree the scheduling with BT. It also won't be at BMH, it'll be at Villa Park, being on TV will require that. Fans are allowed as well so I expect the decision pretty soon.

Offline caster troy

« Reply #821 on: May 18, 2021, 10:39:33 AM »

I think that time slot is the latest the game can be played by so they're just waiting to agree the scheduling with BT. It also won't be at BMH, it'll be at Villa Park, being on TV will require that. Fans are allowed as well so I expect the decision pretty soon.

Makes sense, thanks.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #822 on: May 18, 2021, 10:54:49 AM »
Thought Young reminded me of Andy Weimann the way he chased down defenders and generally harried them.  Having someone like that up top makes it easier for Barry and Chuk (sp) to find space.

I thought that too and like Wimann not quite good enough for the top level.

Offline FailsworthVillan

« Reply #823 on: May 18, 2021, 11:10:15 AM »

Monday 24th. 1945 ko at Villa Park. Will be broadcast live in BT.

Offline dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #824 on: May 18, 2021, 11:16:53 AM »
I wonder how tickets will be distributed?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal