collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Reserves and Academy 2020-21  (Read 99149 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Reserves and Academy 2020-21
« Reply #795 on: May 15, 2021, 11:33:19 AM »
It's been reckoned that if you can get two players from a two-year cycle to make it at the level your senior team are playing at you're doing well.

That would be doing ridiculously well. You would hope that by the time these lads are ready to be first-team players, they're going to have to displace players in a team that's challenging for European places.  That's a VERY high bar.  Man City won it last year, and I think it's only Liam Delap who's had so much as a sniff of a first-team appearance since then.

I think a lot of our current youth side will have careers as professional footballers (at least similar to the 7 or 8 from our 2001 winning side), but if we get two from this team to become regular first-team players for us (at the very top end of the league) I'll be absolutely delighted!

I wonder if there are any stats out there about which academy produces the most professionals across the leagues?

It used to be us about fifteen or so years ago. Incidentally, when I said playing at our level I meant in the Premier League and I don't that's too much to ask given the investment we're making. In any case it was Sammy Morgan who said that to me and if anyone wants to disagree with him, good luck.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #796 on: May 15, 2021, 11:34:08 AM »
Great to see Grealish and McGinn in attendance at the game. Shows how the club is really pulling in the right direction.
Just one question, who are the Little brothers? The commentators were talking about the Revans, the Gardners the Moores, and the Little brothers?
Brian and Alan.
Both played in the 1972 FA Youth Cup Final.
Alan was less God-like than Brian.

Perhaps most famous for helping York City win 3-0 at Old Trafford in the League Cup as a manager.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #797 on: May 15, 2021, 11:40:30 AM »
Last night was interesting for me...there were a lot of names knocking around. First to arrive was Sir Brian Little followed by some of the first team coaching staff and U23 group. Neil Cuttler, Boateng, Mark Delaney. All came over to the WBA ‘area’ and said ‘hello’. Big Sam landed with Sammy Lee. Obviously they all seem to know each other...social distancing out of the window.
Deans and JT were next in, again they came over to welcome everyone. Both very affable. Delano enjoyed me working at WBA, but supporting Villa, ‘win win for you tonight’.
The best was yet to come for me as I had a few minutes with Jack and SJM at half time, both really good lads. They enjoyed seeing my young lads in Villa kits with ‘Grealish’ and ‘McGinn’ on the back. SJM particularly enjoyed ‘the wee man’. Jack commented that he hadn’t focused much on education while in the Academy system...SJM said ‘you can tell’. I have to admit, I was a bit start struck.

The game was dominated by Villa and Big Sam commentated for anyone round him throughout the whole game. He particularly liked ‘the 10’ for Villa and his runs forward.

Smithy is correct with the success rate, if one or two make the first team regularly in the next couple of years, we would have done well. The rest will make a decent fist of it in the lower leagues.
A lot of lower league clubs see kids graduate to the first team, the issue Cat 2 or 3 players have is if they are released its very difficult to be picked up and you return to grassroots. At Cat 1 clubs, if you are released there’s a chance you’ll be picked up by a lower level club. What i have learnt in the last 6 months is it is a brutally tough business. Kids are offered 2 and 3 year contracts, others are told ‘no thanks’ and although help and support is offered, they are naturally devastated. We had two who simply disengaged from training and education when told. It’s like splitting up from your first girlfriend...the love of your life.
Agents are also heavily involved, demanding better contracts and signing fees (for a 17/18 year old). They also promise the lads the earth, ‘you’ve been released by XXX, no problem, I’ve got you a trial period at West Ham, Watford, Palace...’. One of our boys is expecting to fly to the US for trials at Inter Miami, because his agent has said ‘they’re interested’. The boy has barely played during his two year scholarship, a sub appearance here and there.
It’s tough. For every Captain Jack, there are hundreds on the other side of the fence.
Sorry i must have missed something. In what capacity was you at the game? Sounds like you had a great time.

Offline Rotterdam

• GM : 06.03.2025
« Reply #798 on: May 15, 2021, 11:48:26 AM »
I work in the academy at WBA.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #799 on: May 15, 2021, 11:52:54 AM »

Really interesting report that, mate. Thank you for posting!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #800 on: May 15, 2021, 11:55:54 AM »
Interesting, thanks Rotterdam. How is it decided who is category 1, 2 and 3? Is it to do with results, so you can be promoted and relegated to/from other categories? Or is it based on how much you spend on youth development or what division the first team play in?

Offline The Edge

« Reply #801 on: May 15, 2021, 12:17:47 PM »
Nice. My mates son came through the Academy at WBA he's Villa and always spoke very highly of the set up there. I really enjoyed last night's game there's some real talent around on both sides. Great to see.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #802 on: May 15, 2021, 12:42:17 PM »
My son coached for a couple of years at the Leeds academy. I can certainly corroborate your last paragraph: the highly-inflated ambitions and the hard bump that many experience as reality bites.
Thanks for sharing last night's experience with us. I thought both sides looked really good, and it took some class from Barry and Chuk for us to make the difference.
I liked the look of WBA's Rico Richards and the two CB Taylor and Ashworth.

Online Clampy

« Reply #803 on: May 15, 2021, 12:57:04 PM »
Interesting read Rotterdam, thanks.

Offline Rotterdam

« Reply #804 on: May 15, 2021, 01:37:53 PM »
My son coached for a couple of years at the Leeds academy. I can certainly corroborate your last paragraph: the highly-inflated ambitions and the hard bump that many experience as reality bites.
Thanks for sharing last night's experience with us. I thought both sides looked really good, and it took some class from Barry and Chuk for us to make the difference.
I liked the look of WBA's Rico Richards and the two CB Taylor and Ashworth.

Ashworth is the eldest son of dan Ashworth, ex-FA and currently at BHA. Decent left back and makeshift CB.
Taylor is son of Martin Taylor. He was on the bench v Arsenal last Sunday and may get a go in the last three games. Sam A really likes him.
Iroegbunam the 8, is another to have a good chance.
Richards is on a four year deal signed on his 17th birthday.
Fellows the RW another with a promising future.

Categories for Academies are dictated to by facilities and staffing. Clubs have to apply to the FA. The club academies U18 and U23 then play in one of either the North or South league, the Cat also helps dictate the sphere of influence the academy has, eg how far they can cast the net for players. Rumour has it Villa are potentially involved with Shrewsbury, so increasing the range.
It’s well noted Villa academy has recruited very aggressively in the last 18mths. Lots of dosh spent.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #805 on: May 15, 2021, 02:37:25 PM »
Villa are potentially involved with Shrewsbury, so increasing the range.
It’s well noted Villa academy has recruited very aggressively in the last 18mths. Lots of dosh spent.

Presumably we also have a decent working relationship with Exeter should a gem be uncovered in the South-West.

On the West Brom forum they really only rated Fellows from their side and Carney and Barry from ours.

Offline Rotterdam

« Reply #806 on: May 15, 2021, 03:36:13 PM »
Paul Appiah is the player I liked having seen him for Villa twice times this year. He’s big strong and can play either CB or RB.
Villa were also missing Ramsay Jnr. Who is also class.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #807 on: May 15, 2021, 04:38:51 PM »
Paul Appiah is the player I liked having seen him for Villa twice times this year. He’s big strong and can play either CB or RB.
Villa were also missing Ramsay Jnr. Who is also class.
I said earlier that I thought Lindley, Raikhy and Young have looked good on the few occasions I've watched them this season.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #808 on: May 15, 2021, 04:45:32 PM »
Thought Young reminded me of Andy Weimann the way he chased down defenders and generally harried them.  Having someone like that up top makes it easier for Barry and Chuk (sp) to find space.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #809 on: May 15, 2021, 05:28:01 PM »

How is that viewed from inside the game?  And, in your opinion, are they spending it well?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal