collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Captaincy & Leadership  (Read 2419 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Captaincy & Leadership
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2020, 09:23:36 PM »
Mings is (or at least was) more of an on-field motivational leader than Grealish.

Offline colin69

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2020, 09:24:55 PM »
Unfortunately our current captain is just going through the motions and showing absolutely nothing to stir the other players along.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2020, 09:29:16 PM »
I think the twenty-seven trillion pounds Chelsea spent on purchasing an oligarchic assortment of the world's best players might have had more to do with their success than the mystic, and unique, ability of their arbitrary armband wearer to shout "keep workin', lads!" at crucial moments. But then I never played the game professionally, so I'm probably talking shite.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2020, 09:31:16 PM »
I think the twenty-seven trillion pounds Chelsea spent on purchasing an oligarchic assortment of the world's best players might have had more to do with their success than the mystic, and unique, ability of their arbitrary armband wearer to shout "keep workin', lads!" at crucial moments. But then I never played the game professionally, so I'm probably talking shite.

I think you're underestimating the inspirational value of him dressing up like them and stealing their trophy.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2020, 09:32:45 PM »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2020, 09:35:31 PM »

I think you're underestimating the inspirational value of him dressing up like them and stealing their trophy.

Must be something about being an inspirational England captain and nicking things. Did Bobby Moore ever give that bracelet back?

(Allegedly)

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2020, 09:38:36 PM »

Must be something about being an inspirational England captain and nicking things. Did Bobby Moore ever give that bracelet back?

(Allegedly)

There's a good Danny Baker (I think) storu about his dad standing very close to the pitch when Bobby Moore was playing and constantly berating him with stuff about that. "Why did you do it , Moore? You're guilty as hell" etc. I obviously haven't done it justice but it's funny.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2020, 09:52:44 PM »
That's alright, mate. I'm imagining someone telling the story better than you did so it's still funny.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2020, 09:54:48 PM »
That's alright, mate. I'm imagining someone telling the story better than you did so it's still funny.

I agree with LeeB.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2020, 02:30:44 PM »
Is it important who the captain is?

Of course it does. John Terry set a high bar at Chelsea and along with his managers (and sometimes in spite of them) demanded a certain level of performance of his teammates, he did similar when he came here and took over as captain. We were a much more organised side with him as captain versus Chester (as much I like him) the previous season.

A great leader as captain can be the difference between a stirring team performance and a drab one, particularly when the chips are down.

I think you're getting carried away.

In what way is that getting carried away?

You asked a question and I answered it.

You evidently don't agree, but your pithy rejoinders haven't really shed any light on why, either.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2020, 02:32:47 PM »
Unfortunately our current captain is just going through the motions and showing absolutely nothing to stir the other players along.

Indeed

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal