collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:46:28 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by villabear
[Today at 04:37:35 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Rory
[Today at 04:07:17 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by olaftab
[Today at 02:42:51 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 02:30:08 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by aj2k77
[Today at 02:00:12 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Pete3206
[Today at 01:38:56 AM]

Re: Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Rory
[Today at 01:30:04 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Captaincy & Leadership  (Read 2449 times)

Offline AsTallAsLions

Captaincy & Leadership
« on: June 24, 2020, 11:57:02 AM »
In the Championship we were very vocal about looking for leaders when dipping into the transfer market, players who could stand up and be counted and would take their teammates with them. Let's be fair to old Potatohead and say he got it right with Terry, Snodgrass and Whelan, even if the latter was inconsistent. All 3 were clearly big personalities and had an impact and knew how to boost morale when required.

Of the three, Dean inherited only the least consistent (Whelan) on his playing staff, but was able to make use of Terry's legacy connection as a leader and motivator for some of the remaining lot. They then made a very astute move to bring Mingsy in on loan and we know he's generally been a success for us.

When Dean came in, he spoke of maintaining a rotating captaincy system, the likes of which he had used previously at Walsall and Brentford. He wanted to keep things fresh and let all the personalities of the dressing room have a chance at coming to the fore and taking on responsibility. I remember hearing that and thinking what a great idea it was, particularly in a squad with no Terry-esque figure who automatically screams 'captain'.

Instead, he slapped it on Jack and never looked back.

That Jack is our greatest homegrown talent in decades is clear, as is his outstanding natural ability and unquestionable love for the club. However, making him captain (and worse still, letting him remain captain) was potentially Smith's biggest mistake to date IMO. He's a lot of things, most of them great, but he is no leader, and we should have dispensed with that illusion a long time ago and let him do what he does, with someone else marshalling the team out on the pitch (Mings perhaps, or the rotating system that DS originally intended to implement).

On to next season, assuming that Jack will no longer be playing for us, who would you give it to? Mings? Rotate it? Hope we sign the next Terry and slap it on him straight from the off?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 11:59:17 AM by AsTallAsLions »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Captaincy & Leadership
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 12:00:02 PM »
Grealish, Mings, McGinn in that order, depending on who stays. If none of them do, maybe a new signing.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 12:34:04 PM »
Grealish, Mings, McGinn in that order, depending on who stays. If none of them do, maybe a new signing.
Yep.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 12:35:08 PM »
I don’t think we have anyone who I think is proper captaincy material from the present lot. Sure, Jack inspires by playing, as  Gareth Barry did. Tyrone Mings can lead and organise but he is too inconsistent with his performances. John McGinn? Not for me, not just yet.

I agree that we need more experience and if we drop to the championship probably need to sign a captain. If we stay up I probably still be looking for a new leader, or two!

Offline FatSam

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 01:02:08 PM »
Let's be fair to old Potatohead and say he got it right with Terry, Snodgrass and Whelan, even if the latter was inconsistent. All 3 were clearly big personalities and had an impact and knew how to boost morale when required.

He inherited Jedinak as well, who I always rated as a leader of men, even if his technique was limited.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 01:35:38 PM »
Definitely not Tyrone for me.

We need an old Kevin Richardson / Andy Townsend type.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 01:41:37 PM »
Definitely not Tyrone for me.

We need an old Kevin Richardson / Andy Townsend type.

Someone who get's stuck in and leads by example?   Richardson was pretty quiet, Townsend a little more vocal/

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 02:11:24 PM »
I always remember the rest of the squad saying how good Rico was. Easy to miss as a fan watching the players with better ability, but he was a massive part of that team, definitely a captain for me and yes, led by example.

Mind you, his penalties left a bit to be desired!

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 03:12:37 PM »
Is it important who the captain is?

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 03:27:08 PM »
That Jack is our greatest homegrown talent in decades is clear, as is his outstanding natural ability and unquestionable love for the club. However, making him captain (and worse still, letting him remain captain) was potentially Smith's biggest mistake to date IMO.

Wow, I really can't disagree with that more - he made him captain and it co-incided with triggering an unprecedented run of victories that catapulted us back to the big league.  I'd call it inspired!

Yes our captain has faltered, but for me it's because he has the weight of the whole team on his shoulders and he can see his dream of keeping us up/achieving anything at Villa ebbing away.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2020, 03:52:07 PM »

Nah, is it bollocks.

*You are contractually obliged to agree with this
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 03:53:41 PM by LeeB »

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2020, 03:54:13 PM »

Don't think it made much difference with The Titanic.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2020, 04:15:44 PM »

Nah, is it bollocks.

*You are contractually obliged to agree with this

Agreed.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2020, 08:14:23 PM »

Of course it does. John Terry set a high bar at Chelsea and along with his managers (and sometimes in spite of them) demanded a certain level of performance of his teammates, he did similar when he came here and took over as captain. We were a much more organised side with him as captain versus Chester (as much I like him) the previous season.

A great leader as captain can be the difference between a stirring team performance and a drab one, particularly when the chips are down.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2020, 09:22:21 PM »

Of course it does. John Terry set a high bar at Chelsea and along with his managers (and sometimes in spite of them) demanded a certain level of performance of his teammates, he did similar when he came here and took over as captain. We were a much more organised side with him as captain versus Chester (as much I like him) the previous season.

A great leader as captain can be the difference between a stirring team performance and a drab one, particularly when the chips are down.

I think you're getting carried away.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal