collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Billy Walker
[March 28, 2024, 11:13:11 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 11:07:05 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:06:11 PM]

Re: COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864678 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #8265 on: September 28, 2020, 10:56:41 PM »
We are actually in a position where we can't buy the finished article with the potential of a player like RLC, so taking a risk and getting him fully fit might be a big step to move us forward. We have a decent 3 in the ones that played tonight, Hourihane is the weak link in general play, but his goals and assists are invaluable and we are a much more threatening side with him playing, so right now you can bring a player in that needs a bit of time and get them up to speed.

We still need to get better at doubling up and stopping crosses late in games when Jack and Trez tire, but a more solid left back at some point has to happen. Especially with Jack in front of them.

Also struck me tonight that when he starts scoring, any striker coming in is going to be sitting on the bench for a long time. Watkins is a menace, and going to be very, very good. Still think another wide player that can play across the front is needed, we are finally at the point where we need to add options to the side.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8266 on: September 28, 2020, 11:13:44 PM »
I feel that it's a bit harsh on Hourihane to say that all he does is score goals and gain assists - what else is there?

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #8267 on: September 28, 2020, 11:17:48 PM »
I feel that it's a bit harsh on Hourihane to say that all he does is score goals and gain assists - what else is there?

I was making the case that he should stay in the team! He goes missing for periods, whereas even when hes having a bad day such is the way McGinn plays he is always in the thick of it, but his attacking element is far, far too important to drop until there is a noticeably better upgrade. 

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #8268 on: September 28, 2020, 11:31:12 PM »

If he is going to play, I think he needs to play in the more advanced role where he has a certain amount of freedom and not so much defensive responsibility.  I think his best performance for us was in that position when he scored a hat-trick against Norwich a few seasons ago.

Still think he is one to come off the bench in the closing stages when we are after a goal.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8269 on: September 28, 2020, 11:33:33 PM »

I was making the case that he should stay in the team! He goes missing for periods, whereas even when hes having a bad day such is the way McGinn plays he is always in the thick of it, but his attacking element is far, far too important to drop until there is a noticeably better upgrade. 

Ah, fair enough!

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #8270 on: September 29, 2020, 05:27:15 AM »
I was thinking about the long list of English midfield players that are hyped as the next big thing only to turm out as mediocre. We have Ross Berkeley who kicked up a fuss to leave Everton, got injured bulked up and slowed down. Rice is a decent water carrier but not much more, Foden is another tidy footballer but not a world beater. RLC looked promising but his body is not up to it. I think Mount and Madison have something to offer and are good PL players but not world class.
The list goes on.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #8271 on: September 29, 2020, 06:13:46 AM »
If we sign a Barkley -  then Hourihane will be out of the team (lets hope that we do sign Barkley)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #8272 on: September 29, 2020, 06:18:45 AM »
tackling, intercepting,covering,  liking up play, closing space Running off the ball.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #8273 on: September 29, 2020, 06:41:01 AM »
I appreciate Hourihane is a bit marmite for a few on here but you cannot underestimate his go forward threat, for all the plaudits Trez ot at the end of last season, Hourihane's assists were pivotal to our survival.

I also think his 'link up play' is far better than he gets credit for too, see AEG's goal in the play off final. He'll never be a put the foot in type but he's more than good enough in other areas for us for where we are at the moment.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #8274 on: September 29, 2020, 07:00:48 AM »
I was thinking about the long list of English midfield players that are hyped as the next big thing only to turm out as mediocre. We have Ross Berkeley who kicked up a fuss to leave Everton, got injured bulked up and slowed down. Rice is a decent water carrier but not much more, Foden is another tidy footballer but not a world beater. RLC looked promising but his body is not up to it. I think Mount and Madison have something to offer and are good PL players but not world class.
The list goes on.

Foden or Sancho to be the next Joe Cole. Andros Townsend was once.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #8275 on: September 29, 2020, 07:36:20 AM »
I've never seen the fuss about Sancho. Obviously he's playing at a very high level, but it seems to me like somebody's decided because he's playing in a foreign league he must be far better than he is.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #8276 on: September 29, 2020, 07:38:46 AM »
He's not got a single wicket since he joined, and his batting average is shocking.

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #8277 on: September 29, 2020, 07:46:11 AM »
If we sign a Barkley -  then Hourihane will be out of the team (lets hope that we do sign Barkley)

Really?? I have no issue with signing Barkley, but Hourihane has scored or assisted continuously through our run in, and at the start of this season. Why would we want him out the team.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #8278 on: September 29, 2020, 08:06:34 AM »

Really?? I have no issue with signing Barkley, but Hourihane has scored or assisted continuously through our run in, and at the start of this season. Why would we want him out the team.

Hourihane has scored the same number of Premier League goals for us as Barkely has for Chelsea.

Hourihane's just taken one and a bit fewer seasons of football to do it in though.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #8279 on: September 29, 2020, 08:17:32 AM »
Hourihane is a useful player to have around. Unless its set in stone that we're buying a long term experienced replacement(s) for him now or next summer i'd offer him a new contract for 2 years.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal