collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 872498 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #7935 on: September 25, 2020, 12:22:06 PM »
I could understand the appeal of a short term loan up front whilst we wait for Wesley but who are we going to get that's worth bringing in and doesn't mind fighting with Davis for a place on the bench? Watkins will start most games for the next 3-4 months and Davis has shown enough for me to be happy with him on the bench. If Watkins gets injured then I'd be ok with Davis and Traore alternating and bringing Archer into the squad as cover. If 2-3 of them are injured at the same time then we'd be in trouble but that's the case in every position at every club and you can't just keep bringing players in 'just in case'.

I suspect most of the people who want another striker are the same that think Davis isn't good enough because he doesn't score enough goals though so what they're actually wanting is to replace him, not samatta.

With Wesley back we'll be fine. However, until he's back, and that's likely to be New Year I'd think, then we're light up front. If you put Traore up front then the wings are weak again.

Rashica or similar would give us better balance. Maybe Archer needs promoting eh Leeg?

Yeah that's my point, I'd rather we added another winger than another striker because longer term that's a weaker area.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #7936 on: September 25, 2020, 12:32:56 PM »
What about someone who could play up front or wide? We've been linked with Brewster - could he do that?

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7937 on: September 25, 2020, 12:34:30 PM »
The weak links are midfield and left back and the priority has to be midfield or we are starting with Hourihane or Nakamba.
SJM is still not there yet that leaves Luiz, if he gets injured we are in deep shit.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7938 on: September 25, 2020, 12:36:41 PM »
I could understand the appeal of a short term loan up front whilst we wait for Wesley but who are we going to get that's worth bringing in and doesn't mind fighting with Davis for a place on the bench? Watkins will start most games for the next 3-4 months and Davis has shown enough for me to be happy with him on the bench. If Watkins gets injured then I'd be ok with Davis and Traore alternating and bringing Archer into the squad as cover. If 2-3 of them are injured at the same time then we'd be in trouble but that's the case in every position at every club and you can't just keep bringing players in 'just in case'.

I suspect most of the people who want another striker are the same that think Davis isn't good enough because he doesn't score enough goals though so what they're actually wanting is to replace him, not samatta.

With Wesley back we'll be fine. However, until he's back, and that's likely to be New Year I'd think, then we're light up front. If you put Traore up front then the wings are weak again.

Rashica or similar would give us better balance. Maybe Archer needs promoting eh Leeg?

Yeah that's my point, I'd rather we added another winger than another striker because longer term that's a weaker area.
I'm erring more toward a bit of a compromise on the winger-striker. If we could get Sessegnon in, we'd have a young player with good experience and the ability to play wing and cover for LB.
Bring in L-Cheek as well and it's job done.
If Watkins gets injured we play Traore through the middle, or bring in Davis. Wes coming back in December January then provides other options.

My only other concern is CB, and the status of Engels, Guilbert and Elmo; which is - frankly - vague right now.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #7939 on: September 25, 2020, 12:39:59 PM »
The problem with Wesley is that he looked absolutely shit for long periods of last season. I'm sure he can improve and there is a player there, but maybe Smith just doesn't rate him. If so then Brewster is worth pursuing.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7940 on: September 25, 2020, 12:42:35 PM »
The problem with Wesley is that he looked absolutely shit for long periods of last season. I'm sure he can improve and there is a player there, but maybe Smith just doesn't rate him. If so then Brewster is worth pursuing.
His shitness was as much to do with the poor service and lack of runners around him. Watkins and Traore will make him much more effective.

Online paul_e

« Reply #7941 on: September 25, 2020, 12:44:44 PM »
The weak links are midfield and left back and the priority has to be midfield or we are starting with Hourihane or Nakamba.
SJM is still not there yet that leaves Luiz, if he gets injured we are in deep shit.

I've been saying CM was a priority since the end of last season, we just haven't got any depth in there which means any drop in form from Luiz or, more appropriately, McGinn means we're scraping the barrel. I just find it strange that we're 1 injury away from Lansbury playing and people appear to be more concerned with getting a 4th striker.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #7942 on: September 25, 2020, 12:45:05 PM »
Striker and LB for me.

RB is sorted now (a little too much imo as I saw nothing wrong with Guilbert/Elmo), but LB is a disaster. We have Taylor who can't attack, and Targett who is nowhere near a Premier League defender, but covetted as a good attacking LB, even though he can't clear the first man with crosses?!

Personally, with what we have - Taylor would be first choice over Targett, but ideally we need fresh blood. How about raiding Brentford again for Rico Henry? We were linked with the double swoop for Watkins/Benhrama... lets just switch it for Watkins/Henry. 

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #7943 on: September 25, 2020, 12:45:34 PM »
His shitness was as much to do with the poor service and lack of runners around him. Watkins and Traore will make him much more effective.

Hope so, but he scored very few goals in the Belgium league despite playing in a team that made the Champions League. That's like playing up front for Celtic and only scraping 9-10 goals a season as the main striker. I just don't think he is very good.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #7944 on: September 25, 2020, 12:47:18 PM »

I've been saying CM was a priority since the end of last season, we just haven't got any depth in there which means any drop in form from Luiz or, more appropriately, McGinn means we're scraping the barrel. I just find it strange that we're 1 injury away from Lansbury playing and people appear to be more concerned with getting a 4th striker.
I know that this will be unpopular, but Angela played very well last night.

Of course, it was versus Bristol City reserves.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #7945 on: September 25, 2020, 12:48:15 PM »

Hope so, but he scored very few goals in the Belgium league despite playing in a team that made the Champions League. That's like playing up front for Celtic and only scraping 9-10 goals a season as the main striker. I just don't think he is very good.

I'm holding out hope we go for the kid from Celtic. Big, powerful and scores goals. Very much in the Benteke mould (when he was good!).

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #7946 on: September 25, 2020, 12:53:50 PM »
Supposedly Olympiacos are after El Ghazi ...

https://twitter.com/geramanolidis/status/1309418201365852160

Online paul_e

« Reply #7947 on: September 25, 2020, 12:55:45 PM »

I know that this will be unpopular, but Angela played very well last night.

Of course, it was versus Bristol City reserves.

He played ok, Ramsey was the pick of the midfield though and more importantly Lansbury is just never fit enough to play against premier league midfields. I just don't trust him enough to not get another player in there.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #7948 on: September 25, 2020, 12:55:48 PM »
Sarr
Barkley (on loan)
Sessignon (on loan)
Back up striker (on loan)

Good to go.

Online paul_e

« Reply #7949 on: September 25, 2020, 12:56:56 PM »
Sarr
Barkley (on loan)
Sessignon (on loan)
Back up striker (on loan)

Good to go.

Also impossible, can only have 2 loans - https://www.premierleague.com/news/464747

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal