collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 865099 times)

Offline baddowvillans

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #7800 on: September 24, 2020, 09:08:43 AM »
Quiet on the transfer front - clearly we won't bring out the big bucks!

It makes we laugh when we go four days without signing a player and people say it's gone quiet and it means we won't spend big money. 🙄
Wasn't this part of the deer puns?

It was - and obviously so I thought. 

Offline TaxDodger

« Reply #7801 on: September 24, 2020, 09:13:36 AM »
McGinn at his best isn't as good as Barkley.  Let's be realistic, he's only shown it in the Championship.

He isn't as technically skillful, but I'd still rather have the pre-injury John McGinn in my team than either Barkley or Loftus-Cheek. I still wouldn't turn my nose up at either of them on loan though.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7802 on: September 24, 2020, 09:14:16 AM »
my worry with Loftus-cheek is he basically missed a year with injury so how long will it take for him to get back to speed? I can't see them letting him go yet so would we just be getting him fit for them? Barkley at 26 is up and running now, and if he cuts the mustard I reckon a deal could be done next summer rather than having the problem of again looking for a replacement.

McGinn's injury hasn't done him any favours either, so we defintely need a new CM to take the pressure off him.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #7803 on: September 24, 2020, 09:24:26 AM »
If lofted cheek is available on loan then I think he will have better choices than us

Teams that are involved in European competition will want him

Barclay £100k + a week seems a lot for a player who has not been playing a lot of football recently

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #7804 on: September 24, 2020, 09:26:12 AM »
Have to be impressed by the ambition Wolves are showing

Shopping in a more impressive shop than us.

A closed one? Owned by Mendes?

Samedo who they’ve been linked with for £30m hasn’t done anything to justify that sort of fee, granted he’s younger and probably will get better under the right coach but he’s half the player of Doherty. Maybe the wolves system will suit him better.

Barcelona are signing Max Aarons from Norwich to replace Samedo for £20m. Wouldn't it make more sense for Wolves to go for him? Or are they not allowed to?

And Doherty for £14m, a player at the top of his game, to one of your rivals, but £30m for a player surplus to requirements at Barcelona? And £30m on an 18 year old to replace Jota?

Nothing to see here, move along.

Something smells fishy...and I’m not talking about the contents of Baldricks apple crumble.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #7805 on: September 24, 2020, 09:29:32 AM »
my worry with Loftus-cheek is he basically missed a year with injury so how long will it take for him to get back to speed? I can't see them letting him go yet so would we just be getting him fit for them? Barkley at 26 is up and running now, and if he cuts the mustard I reckon a deal could be done next summer rather than having the problem of again looking for a replacement.

McGinn's injury hasn't done him any favours either, so we defintely need a new CM to take the pressure off him.

Wouldn't disagree. Just not sure RLC is upto speed yet. By all accounts he was terrible in their 1st game and has struggled since he's returned from injury.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #7806 on: September 24, 2020, 09:43:32 AM »
Barclay could be an outstanding signing.  I understand the Drinkwater / Ireland type worry, but he's 26 and has real quality.  If he wants the move I'd much rather spend a loan fee / wages on him than speculate £6-7m on an unknown from Europe.

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #7807 on: September 24, 2020, 09:45:31 AM »
I thought we only needed about 4/5 newbies but the more I’m looking into it as of now, without Engels , we need another CB, midfielder to take some pressure off SJM , if Lansbury and Jota go maybe another for some bench competition. The bit I can’t get at mo is with vassilev on loan and Samatta seemingly likely to go on loan too , we’re shaping our goal scorers in to the lightest part of squad again . Traore can play part wing/ part striker but back up to Watkins looking extremely poor currently .
So with 3 or 4 in at mo it seems we still need another 4 or 5

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7808 on: September 24, 2020, 09:45:38 AM »
Barclay could be an outstanding signing.  I understand the Drinkwater / Ireland type worry, but he's 26 and has real quality.  If he wants the move I'd much rather spend a loan fee / wages on him than speculate £6-7m on an unknown from Europe.

It may be bollocks, of course, but I read something on Twitter earlier suggesting that he was reluctant to come to us.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #7809 on: September 24, 2020, 09:48:00 AM »

It may be bollocks, of course, but I read something on Twitter earlier suggesting that he was reluctant to come to us.
If that was true then I'd be a lot more cautious.  But I can't see a top 6 club coming in for him so unless Everton take him I don't see why he wouldn't give us a go for a year as he's got nothing to lose.

Offline Dave P

« Reply #7810 on: September 24, 2020, 09:55:52 AM »
Ross Barklay is just what we need imo. He will allow McGinn, Luiz and the front line to play their natural games.  Would love him here.

Online Clampy

« Reply #7811 on: September 24, 2020, 10:02:04 AM »
Ross Barklay is just what we need imo. He will allow McGinn, Luiz and the front line to play their natural games.  Would love him here.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying it would allow McGinn and Luiz to play their natural game.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #7812 on: September 24, 2020, 10:15:11 AM »
I'm warming to Barkley. Plus there seems to be a window of opportunity for a transfer. He's had 2 and half years of mega money. Next summer that will be 3 and a half years. He'll be 27 with 2 years left, so a transfer deal with a 4 year contract would suit him and our Logans run recruitment policy. He only cost 15m so the fee is unlikely to be massive. Also he's managed 48 games a season for chelsea so obviously no fitness problems there. All this on the proviso he's actually any good for us.

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #7813 on: September 24, 2020, 10:24:32 AM »
I thought our current loans these days were all signed loan with option to buy, apart from Drinkwater !

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #7814 on: September 24, 2020, 10:24:42 AM »
Perhaps the game has become too sophisticated for me to understand, but Loftus Cheek is a player whose role in a team I have yet to fathom.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal