collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864481 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #1590 on: August 06, 2020, 12:25:11 PM »
I think we have enough players in our squad to chip in with their fair share of goals but we do need an out and out striker like Tammy Abraham. I also think we have enough creative players like Jack and SJM to supply him with chances.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1591 on: August 06, 2020, 12:25:52 PM »
I can see both arguments. I would love to re-sign Tammy, I remember being particularly impressed when he gave Kodja and Bolasie a right round of fucks for not joining in when he was pressing the opposition defence, great work rate and eye for goal.

On the other hand, if all our midfield and wingers were getting a decent quota of goals, playing with a version of Keinan Davis allows you to get more players up in and around him as he holds it, even if he isnt weighing in with the amount of goals you'd want from a striker. You get them elsewhere.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #1592 on: August 06, 2020, 12:27:06 PM »
Saw someone provocatively suggest Gareth Bale somewhere else. Not actually that bad a shout if you ignore the issues of our perceived status, and his wages. We’re pretty much the closest EPL team to Cardiff...

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1593 on: August 06, 2020, 12:38:44 PM »
Saw someone provocatively suggest Gareth Bale somewhere else. Not actually that bad a shout if you ignore the issues of our perceived status, and his wages. We’re pretty much the closest EPL team to Cardiff...
I've got no time for a player who already rich beyond anybody's wildest dreams would rather piss away the final years of their career than take a pay cut to a level that would still be so much they'd struggle to spend it.  I just don't get it.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #1594 on: August 06, 2020, 12:38:55 PM »
Tammy's potentially a 15-20 goal striker for the next 10 years. £40m+ might seem a lot now but it might seem a snip in 5 years.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1595 on: August 06, 2020, 12:42:36 PM »
I've got no time for a player who already rich beyond anybody's wildest dreams would rather piss away the final years of their career than take a pay cut to a level that would still be so much they'd struggle to spend it.  I just don't get it.

I guess that he's one of those players to whom its just a job, the pay is the most important thing.

A truly magnificent player but I wouldnt touch with a barge pole.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #1596 on: August 06, 2020, 12:48:16 PM »
Come on Villa show us we mean business and make a signing!

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1597 on: August 06, 2020, 12:51:58 PM »
More than one newspaper is reporting on the one hand that Ollie Watkins has an £18m release clause but on the other that Brentford are determined to receive £25m for him.  I told you we should’ve started a bidding war for Delph that time.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 01:00:31 PM by kippaxvilla2 »

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1598 on: August 06, 2020, 12:54:11 PM »
I've never really bought the 'yes he scores but that's all he does' argument, about anyone.  When you look at our current 'strike force' we're certainly not in a position to turn our noses up at anyone with a strike rate similar to Tammy's.  So I'd be happy to see him here but I kind of take paul's point: just because he's played for us before doesn't mean Tammy is necessarily the very best option.  That should be a minor factor; I've never understood what 'he gets the club' means.

It's more best use of the money we have than individually the best option. Signing Tammy for ~£50m means the same left for all the other signings we need and I don't think he'd have enough of an impact on us to be worth lowering the bar elsewhere. I'd be looking at £60-70m of the money we have on a wide player and a midfielder and then see what we can do with rest once they're sorted.

Look at all the places where we need strengthening - a striker, wide player, midfielder, central defence, left-back. Now, think how much difference a better player in any one of those positions would have made us last season. How much earlier would we have been safe if we'd got a different player alongside Tyrone Mings - maybe two games? A more physical presence in midfield - very likely the same. A striker who could have got us even twelve goals - pretty much as soon as we started up again. That's the impact he'd have had, and that's why we should be signing the best goalscorer we can, then seeing how much we've got left for the other replacements.

Offline garyellis

« Reply #1599 on: August 06, 2020, 12:59:15 PM »
I've never really bought the 'yes he scores but that's all he does' argument, about anyone.  When you look at our current 'strike force' we're certainly not in a position to turn our noses up at anyone with a strike rate similar to Tammy's.  So I'd be happy to see him here but I kind of take paul's point: just because he's played for us before doesn't mean Tammy is necessarily the very best option.  That should be a minor factor; I've never understood what 'he gets the club' means.

It's more best use of the money we have than individually the best option. Signing Tammy for ~£50m means the same left for all the other signings we need and I don't think he'd have enough of an impact on us to be worth lowering the bar elsewhere. I'd be looking at £60-70m of the money we have on a wide player and a midfielder and then see what we can do with rest once they're sorted.

Look at all the places where we need strengthening - a striker, wide player, midfielder, central defence, left-back. Now, think how much difference a better player in any one of those positions would have made us last season. How much earlier would we have been safe if we'd got a different player alongside Tyrone Mings - maybe two games? A more physical presence in midfield - very likely the same. A striker who could have got us even twelve goals - pretty much as soon as we started up again. That's the impact he'd have had, and that's why we should be signing the best goalscorer we can, then seeing how much we've got left for the other replacements.
When we were in the deep messy stuff just before lockdown I can remembr thinking to myself how daft I was for even contemplating last summer that we could do better than Tammy if he went back to Chelsea. If he is available then we should get him.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1600 on: August 06, 2020, 01:00:19 PM »
I don't recall Gary Lineker doing much in his career apart from scoring goals and usually from close range as opposed to goal of the season contenders. But he scored plenty of goals for a struggling Leicester side for a few years as well as better sides like Everton, Barcelona, Spurs and England.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1601 on: August 06, 2020, 01:01:49 PM »
Remember how excited we were when we thought he was going to come to Villa.  Can’t remember whether it was from Leicester or Barca.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1602 on: August 06, 2020, 01:04:02 PM »
Paul talks about his all round game but the kid is still only 22. That side of his game can progress as he gets older. I can't think of too many 22 year old's that have already scored 68 career goals.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1603 on: August 06, 2020, 01:10:25 PM »
Remember how excited we were when we thought he was going to come to Villa.  Can’t remember whether it was from Leicester or Barca.

There was talk around about 1989 when he left Barca. There was always talk of megastar signings when you know who was around. If we'd signed him it would have blown our transfer budget for the next two seasons, apparently.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1604 on: August 06, 2020, 01:13:20 PM »

Nah. Centre forward has to be top priority by an absolute mile. To get one good enough at this level you have to spend about fifty million quid. If we mean business, that's what we should be doing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal