collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864277 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #1620 on: August 06, 2020, 01:52:52 PM »
The Benrahma thing, are we the only interested party? Is it a real thing, or something that only exists in our H&V collective consciousness?
CP and WHU are apparently also after him.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #1621 on: August 06, 2020, 01:53:38 PM »
I've never really bought the 'yes he scores but that's all he does' argument, about anyone.  When you look at our current 'strike force' we're certainly not in a position to turn our noses up at anyone with a strike rate similar to Tammy's.  So I'd be happy to see him here but I kind of take paul's point: just because he's played for us before doesn't mean Tammy is necessarily the very best option.  That should be a minor factor; I've never understood what 'he gets the club' means.

Once we sold Young and Downing I think Bent became a bit of a burden to our game. Could still pop up with goals but he also had many away games when he'd touch the ball about 8 times so our counter attack was non-existant.

People thought Lambert was crazy in early 2012 when he dropped him to the bench and started Benteke but within six months that decision was paying off amazingly well so a rare thing Lambert got right.

That said I agree with people that Tammy would be a fantastic signing. Still only 22 and knows the club well and could certainly fire us into the top half. With respect he's levels above Ollie Watkins in that he could come back and hit the ground running.

Let's be honest our striker recruitment has been abysmal since 2011 bar Benteke and Kodj for half a season so we're one of the last top flight clubs that should be just dismissing signing an England international and top 10 premier league scorer last season.

I doubt Tammy would come. He has CL footy to look forward to in a very crowded calendar next season. If he were to leave he would get better offers than us imo. That said I would be delighted if we signed him

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1622 on: August 06, 2020, 02:00:21 PM »
Watkins should be the quick wide player because of his pace and versatility (and goal instincts). Tammy would be great but my gut-feel is that he'll end up with the YamYams.
If not Tammy, we may have to go abroad for a up-and-coming / proven striker.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1623 on: August 06, 2020, 02:01:06 PM »
When looking at or thinking about the bloke from Celtic remember one Scott Sinclair who scored a million goals up there but was actually shit down here.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1624 on: August 06, 2020, 02:01:45 PM »
Remember how excited we were when we thought he was going to come to Villa.  Can’t remember whether it was from Leicester or Barca.

There was talk around about 1989 when he left Barca. There was always talk of megastar signings when you know who was around. If we'd signed him it would have blown our transfer budget for the next two seasons, apparently.

Laughable that was.  Remember ten years later ‘why don’t you sign both Boateng AND Keane.’ Until it came to an extra £500k that is.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 02:03:36 PM by kippaxvilla2 »

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1625 on: August 06, 2020, 02:01:58 PM »
Tammy would be a huge coup for us given we are not yet established in the Premier Division, have a relative rookie as a Manager and have only just survived a relegation battle.  Therefore, we have to pick our targets carefully and hope we are able to persuade them to come to Villa, when they might prefer to go to Crystal Palace or West Ham, even though they are both wank.  We can be as optimistic as we want but I suspect that we may have to add relegated players, Bosman's, loans or up and comings.  All of that is absolutely fine.  Therefore, Divock Origi may actually turn out to be a useful signing for where we are at this point in our journey.  Signing Tammy, which I suspect is beyond us, would be amazing and I really hope it happens.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 02:03:35 PM by Newby »

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #1626 on: August 06, 2020, 02:05:28 PM »
When looking at or thinking about the bloke from Celtic remember one Scott Sinclair who scored a million goals up there but was actually shit down here.

Or just for balance Moussa Dembele who Eduoard replaced with similar strengths, who scored a million goals up there and is now scoring at the same rate for Lyon.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1627 on: August 06, 2020, 02:07:52 PM »
I've never really bought the 'yes he scores but that's all he does' argument, about anyone.  When you look at our current 'strike force' we're certainly not in a position to turn our noses up at anyone with a strike rate similar to Tammy's.  So I'd be happy to see him here but I kind of take paul's point: just because he's played for us before doesn't mean Tammy is necessarily the very best option.  That should be a minor factor; I've never understood what 'he gets the club' means.

It's more best use of the money we have than individually the best option. Signing Tammy for ~£50m means the same left for all the other signings we need and I don't think he'd have enough of an impact on us to be worth lowering the bar elsewhere. I'd be looking at £60-70m of the money we have on a wide player and a midfielder and then see what we can do with rest once they're sorted.

Look at all the places where we need strengthening - a striker, wide player, midfielder, central defence, left-back. Now, think how much difference a better player in any one of those positions would have made us last season. How much earlier would we have been safe if we'd got a different player alongside Tyrone Mings - maybe two games? A more physical presence in midfield - very likely the same. A striker who could have got us even twelve goals - pretty much as soon as we started up again. That's the impact he'd have had, and that's why we should be signing the best goalscorer we can, then seeing how much we've got left for the other replacements.
exactly.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1628 on: August 06, 2020, 02:10:09 PM »

Or just for balance Moussa Dembele who Eduoard replaced with similar strengths, who scored a million goals up there and is now scoring at the same rate for Lyon.
Isn’t the French league like the Scottish one? 😉

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #1629 on: August 06, 2020, 02:10:44 PM »
When we were seemingly flying under MON in that 2nd season with pace and aggression and were creating chance after chance we should of bought Bent then  but instead he bought Heskey and the rest is history.

I swore at the time if he was fit then MON would have also bought that piece of shit Savage if he could of. When you look back at the opportunity we had then and the absolute shite that was bought it makes you weep.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #1630 on: August 06, 2020, 02:11:25 PM »

Isn’t the French league like the Scottish one? 😉

No. Dembele has 16 goals in France this season, comparable with Neymar who has 13 and Mbappe with 18.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 02:16:51 PM by SheffieldVillain »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1631 on: August 06, 2020, 02:20:29 PM »
When we were seemingly flying under MON in that 2nd season with pace and aggression and were creating chance after chance we should of bought Bent then  but instead he bought Heskey and the rest is history.

I swore at the time if he was fit then MON would have also bought that piece of shit Savage if he could of. When you look back at the opportunity we had then and the absolute shite that was bought it makes you weep.

The first 11 was good but why we signed so many expensive squad players was beyond me and that eventually proved our downfall in the next 5 years.

That summer when we already had Luke Young, signed Habib Beye and then O'Neill within two games suddenly decided Cuellar would be the right back for the whole season was a case in point.

Likes of Heskey, Sidwell, Beye probably on more back than than Jack gets.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #1632 on: August 06, 2020, 02:24:01 PM »

Or Kieran Tierney, or Virgil Van Dyke who all started up there before moving to England.  Scott Sinclair was a player at the height of his powers (whatever they were) when he went to Scotland, and even then he spent a lot of his time as a bit-part player so that's not really a fair comparison.

Whatever you think about the Scottish League, I think Edouard is about as close as we are going to get to signing guaranteed goals.  He looks about 3 levels above the opposition in League games, and has a 1 in 2 scoring rate in the Champions League and Europa League for good measure.  He also has an unbelievable scoring record in the French National age groups. 

To be honest I think we would struggle to get him as there are going to be plenty of team interested, but if he is available and was significantly cheaper that Tammy then it is a no-brainer to me.  We could maybe even throw in Keinan for a year on loan to build his confidence up by scoring loads of goals!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 02:27:32 PM by Pat Mustard »

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1633 on: August 06, 2020, 02:27:38 PM »

The first 11 was good but why we signed so many expensive squad players was beyond me and that eventually proved our downfall in the next 5 years.

That summer when we already had Luke Young, signed Habib Beye and then O'Neill within two games suddenly decided Cuellar would be the right back for the whole season was a case in point.

Likes of Heskey, Sidwell, Beye probably on more back than than Jack gets.

I remember a stat from the time saying that if I'd renewed my season ticket in A4 for the next 30 years, it'd pay Beye's wages for 3 days.

Offline steamer

« Reply #1634 on: August 06, 2020, 02:40:30 PM »
Or what was the name of that Scotish bloke we bought from Dundee , wasant he a centre forward ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal