collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Arsenal 0-2 Aston Villa Post match interaction by Matt C
[Today at 12:04:19 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 12:03:01 PM]

Re: Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by Matt C
[Today at 12:02:55 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 12:01:37 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Stu82
[Today at 12:00:07 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by algy
[Today at 11:55:47 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Ads
[Today at 11:50:23 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:43:57 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 870985 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #1200 on: August 02, 2020, 12:05:58 PM »

I don't know. Surely the wider catchment area and the fact they were PL should've increased their profile?

Maybe if they were in the Premier League they might have sold it out most of the time, but now it would look Wiganesque if they don't come straight back.

I think the Wigan ground has more than double the seats that Bournemouth have. So rather than 'doing a Wigan' and rattling around in a stadium that is too big for them Bournemouth will still probably sell out most games in the Championship, especially with the away supporters of several bigger Championship sides.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1201 on: August 02, 2020, 12:07:50 PM »
Howe is a coward.  He took them down, he should be a man and take them back up.

That's a bit strong. I thought that we were troubled by calling folk out as 'cowards'.

He did a great job at Bournemouth. Maybe he thought he had taken them as far as he could, who knows?

A bit strong?! Blimey I’d say unbelievably harsh. He’s done an incredible job there and I don’t blame him for deciding it’s time to move on.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #1202 on: August 02, 2020, 12:26:15 PM »

That's a bit strong. I thought that we were troubled by calling folk out as 'cowards'.

He did a great job at Bournemouth. Maybe he thought he had taken them as far as he could, who knows?

A bit strong?! Blimey I’d say unbelievably harsh. He’s done an incredible job there and I don’t blame him for deciding it’s time to move on.

Unbelievably harsh to say the least! He spent over a decade as their manager, and established them as a PL team after decades languishing around the lower divisions. Very, very few managers last in their jobs more than a few years - he deserves huge credit and he deserves to take a break. He'll be snapped up by a PL team as and when he decides he wants to come back. 

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1203 on: August 02, 2020, 12:32:11 PM »
an oven ready Smith replacement should things go tits up?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1204 on: August 02, 2020, 01:05:51 PM »
I'd take him if Dean crashes next season. Just get the defence to show him what they  learned in the Spring Zoom calls.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #1205 on: August 02, 2020, 01:14:34 PM »
an oven ready Smith replacement should things go tits up?

Oven ready. Christ on a bike.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1206 on: August 02, 2020, 01:17:31 PM »
FFS it's just a bit of fun

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1207 on: August 02, 2020, 01:19:31 PM »

I don't know. Surely the wider catchment area and the fact they were PL should've increased their profile?

Maybe if they were in the Premier League they might have sold it out most of the time, but now it would look Wiganesque if they don't come straight back.

I think the Wigan ground has more than double the seats that Bournemouth have. So rather than 'doing a Wigan' and rattling around in a stadium that is too big for them Bournemouth will still probably sell out most games in the Championship, especially with the away supporters of several bigger Championship sides.

That's what I mean. They'd be stupid to almost treble the size of their ground.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #1208 on: August 02, 2020, 01:26:53 PM »
Who gives a flying shite about Bournemouth. Anyway we’ve been linked with Divock Origi from Liverpool.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1209 on: August 02, 2020, 01:34:39 PM »
Who gives a flying shite about Bournemouth. Anyway we’ve been linked with Divock Origi from Liverpool.

I'd have him.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1210 on: August 02, 2020, 01:36:56 PM »
Origi is a full international for Belgium and has developed really well at Liverpool. I think he’d be a very smart signing. Another proven PL player I wouldn’t mind at all is Troy Deeney. Yeh, yeh all the Nose stuff but he’s a brilliant professional who has proven it over many years in the PL. At 32 he wouldn’t have to play every week but for me he’d be a brilliant leader to help along Wesley and Samatta. Number one choice though is Tammy as he has everything we want in our style of play for a striker and centre forward, young and still getting better.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1211 on: August 02, 2020, 01:43:05 PM »

I actually think he took Bournemouth as far as they could go. The only real money generated was from TV deals so when the bad season came there was little resilience and opportunity to buy their way out of the problem.

Like others have said, Howe should take a break.  I’d imagine he will be first pick come the autumn when PL clubs start chopping and changing managers.  Porch for the top 6, Howe for everyone below that.

After 5 years of Premier League TV riches, they're still playing in a Stadium with a capacity of 11,329. That's pathetic (Walsall's Bescot Stadium is 11,300).  Wholly reliant on TV money. The Holte End is around 13,500 capacity - bigger than their whole ground!

Would you expect them to have built a 30,000 capacity stadium that they'll never fill?

I guess they'd thought of increasing the capacity.
Maybe they realised that they wouldn't sell out every home game, so decided against it.

Did they, like we did, have a waiting list for tickets? If not, there was, obviously, no demand so a pointless exercise.
Could certainly made money from the extra away supporters, though

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1212 on: August 02, 2020, 02:01:24 PM »
I believe that Bournemouth were one of the (11, I think?) PL clubs that were unreliant on any matchday income whatsoever. They'd no need of the ground they were in, let alone a bigger one.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #1213 on: August 02, 2020, 02:04:12 PM »
I guess in principle I prefer big clubs with big grounds/support in the top league. But you can’t blame clubs with smaller grounds when they displace them, especially since it’s often because they play very good football.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #1214 on: August 02, 2020, 02:20:08 PM »
Not convinced by Origi. Prefer the link to Iheanacho

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal