collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by astonvilla82
[Today at 01:15:24 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 01:08:06 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by astonvilla82
[Today at 01:15:24 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 01:08:06 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by chrisw1
[Today at 01:04:38 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 01:03:39 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:02:42 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by devilla
[Today at 01:00:22 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by chrisw1
[Today at 12:59:18 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864384 times)

Offline AsTallAsLions

Looking at  Germany for signings is a good idea, there's a lot of very good players in the price range we're talking about.
It all seems a bit Football-Manager-simplistic, but the French and German leagues must abound with fairly cheap-and-cheerful, technically (and, more importantly, tactically) competent players, especially full-backs. Look how Pavard came through from nowhere to WC winner, Guilbert is clearly the best FB at the club, Kanté was a steal from Caen too.

How dare you overlook James Bree like this

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Looking at  Germany for signings is a good idea, there's a lot of very good players in the price range we're talking about.
It all seems a bit Football-Manager-simplistic, but the French and German leagues must abound with fairly cheap-and-cheerful, technically (and, more importantly, tactically) competent players, especially full-backs. Look how Pavard came through from nowhere to WC winner, Guilbert is clearly the best FB at the club, Kanté was a steal from Caen too.

How dare you overlook James Bree like this

I had forgotten James Bree was even 'a thing' as the kids say.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Bizarrely he is on set piece duty at Luton.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Clicked on an article about Villa wanting to sign a forward for 16M, that was keen on joining, only to be disappointed.

It was an article from July 2019 about Benrahma.

I believe that was Mateta at Mainz who got a bad injury around that time. Only 23 still and scored v Dortmund when play restarted. Not sure if he was our first choice ahead of Wes or an additional player.

That's plenty of decent players around in europe who wouldn't cost half as much as premier league equivilants. Newcastle signed Saint Maximin for about 18m and he's been one of the most exciting attackers in the league. Zaha would cost more than double that plus ridiculous wages.

We actually had the right idea in summer 2015 but chose to sign them all at a time when we'd lost the spine of our team so was too much pressure on them all to hit the ground running.

Having a foreign splurge would make far more sense this summer.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
The young players need to be getting game time at 17/18 in League 1 and 2. By the time they're going on loan they've missed out on too much development.

That's why it's great we loaned Ramsey out to Doncaster last season and he was doing well there before the season stopped. Hopefully next season he gets another loan and then can challenge for squad place in 12 months time.

Compare that to O'Hare who we didn't loan out until he was nearly 21 even though he was getting nowhere near the squad for league games.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
I'd agree with that, most players in our academy should've had a year on loan by the time they're 20, we've been awful at both pushing the players out and, probably more importantly, finding teams where they'll get regular game time. Some players come through later, and that's ok as well, but the norm should be getting these kids into senior football as early as possible.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
I don't understand the Fraser at Bournemouth situation, why would he not extend his contract for a couple of months? What does he gain from not doing it? I read that 3 Charlton players also refused (one of which sounded like he was their best player) and I just don't get the mentality of that decision.

I completely understand their stance.

What happens If under the short term contract they get seriously injured?

They have no loyalty to the club anymore than we do to our employers

Yeah, that was my take on it too.  Yes, if his contract had been a month longer, he'd have played a few more games for them - but why sign a NEW contract, for what probably amounts to 20k, and risk a massive payday that would come from signing as a free transfer in August?

If they were playing in the hope of earning a new contract with the club, fair enough.  But they were certainly not under any obligation to do so.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Well I'm just glad it didn't happen to us. We'd be cursing the fcuker all summer had we been relegated.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
Well I'm just glad it didn't happen to us. We'd be cursing the fcuker all summer had we been relegated.

I'm sure there were ways to handle it commercially i.e. they only want him for 6 more weeks, so pay him an inflated wage, but guarantee that if he gets injured they pay his wages until he's back fit enough to play in the first team and can sign on a free elsewhere?  Puts all the risk on the club, not the player.

Like you, I'd be pissed if a player did it to us, but I'd understand why, and I'd be equally disappointed that the club couldn't make it financially attractive enough and low enough risk that it was a no-brainer for the player (if they were important enough).

Online eric woolban woolban

New bollocks/rumours: Jerome Roussillon - LB from Wolfsburg and the Brazilian striker Everton.
As long as its not the Everton striker who is Brazilian. 
Spends more time on the floor than on his feet.

Offline LukeJames

Albrighton and Robinson? It feels like we were actually relegated on Sunday.

Offline aj2k77

New bollocks/rumours: Jerome Roussillon - LB from Wolfsburg and the Brazilian striker Everton.
As long as its not the Everton striker who is Brazilian. 
Spends more time on the floor than on his feet.

Everton is the business. Would be a massive statement signing.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
I'd agree with that, most players in our academy should've had a year on loan by the time they're 20, we've been awful at both pushing the players out and, probably more importantly, finding teams where they'll get regular game time. Some players come through later, and that's ok as well, but the norm should be getting these kids into senior football as early as possible.
Purslow said at the recent Supporters Trust meeting that in future if a player reaches 21/22 and is not a regular member of the first team squad he will be on his way.  Said the U-23 team will consist of far younger players in future.  It will not consist of 22/23 year olds who wont ever become first team players.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Kelechi Ineacho being linked somewhere. He seems to play well against us but no-one else!

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Kelechi Ineacho being linked somewhere. He seems to play well against us but no-one else!

That would be a classic Villa signing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal