collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864523 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #810 on: July 27, 2020, 07:20:31 PM »
Great news, he's one of 3-4 that I can see being need to be involved with the first team through the season.
... if we want to develop long-term quality from within as well as through the 'cheque-book'.

I'd agree with that amendment. Archer and Barry are 2 of the players I have in the group which is why I don't like the idea of 2 more strikers coming in.
Vassilev and Bridge are two others with good recommendations from people around this site that know better than me.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #811 on: July 27, 2020, 07:29:00 PM »
Wesley is better than both Samatta and Davis. Why would we sell him first?
I don't think anybody would buy him until he's proved his fitness.  But personally I don't hink he's anywhere near good enough for the PL and doubt he ever will be.  If we could recoup the money paid then we should be biting hands off.  Hopefully he'll prove me very wrong next season, but I saw nothing in him at all that led me to believe he can be what we need going forward.

There was a lot missing with him, like positional sense etc and lots to improve. Saying that with all the problems he still scored 6 goals by New Year’s Day, which is more than Samatta or Davies have ever looked like scoring. I think he’ll stay, Hopefully improve and become a player for us, a bit like Luiz who didn’t really look like he could cut it before lockdown. However we can’t make the same mistake again if relying on Wes as the main man, he has to be back up to someone whose more of the finished article.
Put a decent co-striker alongside him and he'll be fine.
Certainly a better prospect than Samatta.
We don't play with 2 strikers. 
Well, I think AEG and Trez would disagree with you (after all, we know they're not proper wingers!!).
I'd class Trez and AEG as wingers, just pretty poor ones.  Obviously any striker should be better with better service, but I still think he's hugely limited and would not want to rely on him as a key player next season.

they are no Tony Morley or Daley wingers

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #812 on: July 27, 2020, 07:42:05 PM »
Flog Wes and Samatta. 

Add £100m and buy two quality strikers to rotate with Davis.   Davis will come good.  It’s a confidence thing. 

Also flog Trez and AEG and buy one proper pacey winger. 

Simple this football lark. 

See it’s interesting, and I’m genuinely not having a go, but why couldn’t Wesley’s issues be down to confidence and why is Davis a better bet? Personally I’ve seen more in Wesley than in Davis.

When he was younger than Davis is now, he'd already netted a couple in the Champions League. It'd be daft to write Wes off after half a season.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #813 on: July 27, 2020, 07:45:11 PM »
Does anyone know why we've let Sarkic go and sign for Wolves? Is it a case of him refusing a contract with Villa or did we just not bother to try to keep him?

Seems very odd to me, always liked the look of him as a young backup keeper.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #814 on: July 27, 2020, 07:45:48 PM »
Great news, he's one of 3-4 that I can see being need to be involved with the first team through the season.
... if we want to develop long-term quality from within as well as through the 'cheque-book'.

I'd agree with that amendment. Archer and Barry are 2 of the players I have in the group which is why I don't like the idea of 2 more strikers coming in.
Vassilev and Bridge are two others with good recommendations from people around this site that know better than me.

And Ramsey, Kesler, Burton (and Chukwuemeka who started the conversation). if 2-3 of those lot make it with us it'll be a huge success but I hope we'll at least see them given a chance.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #815 on: July 27, 2020, 08:32:29 PM »
Flog Wes and Samatta. 

Add £100m and buy two quality strikers to rotate with Davis.   Davis will come good.  It’s a confidence thing. 

Also flog Trez and AEG and buy one proper pacey winger. 

Simple this football lark. 

See it’s interesting, and I’m genuinely not having a go, but why couldn’t Wesley’s issues be down to confidence and why is Davis a better bet? Personally I’ve seen more in Wesley than in Davis.
Agreed.

Very short memories. Wesley offered nothing as a lone front man. Couldn’t hold the ball up, got muscled out of most things and often just fell to floor and pretended to be injured. He was awful barring 3 games!
At least Davis give us something. 
If we can get anywhere near our money back for Wesley then we should sell, learn from our mistakes and try again!
Exactly,  Davis can keep the ball, beat a player and is great at drawing players out of position and getting fouls in dangerous areas.   In some ways  quite a mature head on him.   If Davis could start every game for half a season he would have found his shooting boots.  Wes was mostly truly awful..

Online Holte L2

« Reply #816 on: July 27, 2020, 08:33:16 PM »
I'd go for Wilfred Zaha for one of the wide positions. Hodgson said he wants to go and won't stand in his way. £40m is the reported figure for him.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #817 on: July 27, 2020, 08:36:46 PM »
I'd go for Wilfred Zaha for one of the wide positions. Hodgson said he wants to go and won't stand in his way. £40m is the reported figure for him.
I wonder if Roy would be tempted for a straight swap for El Ghazi.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #818 on: July 27, 2020, 08:41:24 PM »
We have to go for Benrahma, surely.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #819 on: July 27, 2020, 08:43:56 PM »
I wonder if Roy would be tempted for a straight swap for El Ghazi.

Sign Zaha and keep Jack and we'll be breaking world records for fouls against in a game.....

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #820 on: July 27, 2020, 08:46:27 PM »
Zaha is a decent strikers nightmare. Beats man, about to cross, no. Checks back... time to cross....no. Beats man again, striker makes 3rd run ready for the cros.... oh hes lost it.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #821 on: July 27, 2020, 10:17:48 PM »
Zaha is a decent strikers nightmare. Beats man, about to cross, no. Checks back... time to cross....no. Beats man again, striker makes 3rd run ready for the cros.... oh hes lost it.

Zaha is one of the most overrated players I think I have come across.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #822 on: July 27, 2020, 10:29:59 PM »

I think he is a talent but comes across as high maintenance.  Smith just wouldn't stand for the 'I'm better than you lot' mentality.  That said, if coached properly, having Jack on one side and Zaha on the other, we wouldn't be too shabby going forward!

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #823 on: July 27, 2020, 10:32:54 PM »
Has anyone any idea when Heaton or Steer are due back from injury? We urgently need both back fit for next season. Nyland couldn't cope with the pressure of being number one and Reina finally dropped the rick yesterday he has been threatening for weeks. Can't move backwards anymore.

GK - Heaton, Steer, +1
RB - Guilbert, Elmo (but if he got a 2 yr deal elsewhere we shouldn't stand in his way.
RCB - Konsa + 1
LCB - Mings and Hause
LB - Targett + 1
DCM - Luiz, Nakamba (though would cash in with a good offer)
CM - Hourihane, McGinn + 1
AM and Wings - Grealish, AEG, + 1
Forwards - Samatta (surely can't be as bad post restart), Davis (useful sub at worst) , + 1, Wes (injured)

Im assuming - Engels, Nyland, Taylor, Lansbury, Jota, Hogan, Bree, Kalinic are all on way out and despite his good run of goals I think we should let Trez go too.

Jack goes and it's a major overhaul of tactics and formation. All to be sorted in a matter of weeks.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #824 on: July 27, 2020, 10:35:23 PM »

I have to say I agree with this.  Very occasionally he'll do something astounding but that's about it.  He is however better than what we've got but for what he'd cost it's not that much of an upgrade.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal