collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864317 times)

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #780 on: July 27, 2020, 03:12:08 PM »
I'd look, this summer, for focused spending.  We'll lose Baston and Drinkwater definitely, so they need replacing.  Jota isn't playing - swapping him for a pacy winger would make sense, although I'd not treat that as high a priority as the other two.  I'd bring in first team starters rather than squad players in those positions.  I'd not be against signing Pepe Reina on a 1 year contract, or extending his loan for another season, as cover.

That still leaves a few less-than-convincing players, but they'll be absolutely fine as squad players next season.  We've only got a fairly short pre-season, so I think bringing in any more than 2 or 3 players is a disaster waiting to happen - you just can't integrate that many players in the squad in such a short space of time and not expect the same kind of problems that have (necessarily) dogged us for the whole of this season.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #781 on: July 27, 2020, 03:13:17 PM »
We are probably at a disadvantage to most teams in the division in that we haven't known whether we would still be a Premier League team until yesterday.

The level of player available to us and the budget would only now become clear.

It also doesn't help that the turnaround to the start of the season is so short. September 12th is what 6 weeks away?

Should be a fascinating few weeks ahead of us.

I'm fairly sure they would have been planning for either outcome. 

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #782 on: July 27, 2020, 03:14:01 PM »
Well, I think AEG and Trez would disagree with you (after all, we know they're not proper wingers!!).
I'd class Trez and AEG as wingers, just pretty poor ones.  Obviously any striker should be better with better service, but I still think he's hugely limited and would not want to rely on him as a key player next season.
You're right: we shouldn't rely on him - or any other player - as a 'key player', but Wesley will develop further; he has more to give us. IMHO, he needs more coaching and more assimilation-time into the EPL style (as Luiz has had).

... and: we will not get much for him now anyway, after the 9 months of injury.
I don't expect us to sell him because of the injury.  Equally I don't have your faith in him coming good, but would love to be proven wrong.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #783 on: July 27, 2020, 03:17:06 PM »
Well, I think AEG and Trez would disagree with you (after all, we know they're not proper wingers!!).
I'd class Trez and AEG as wingers, just pretty poor ones.  Obviously any striker should be better with better service, but I still think he's hugely limited and would not want to rely on him as a key player next season.
You're right: we shouldn't rely on him - or any other player - as a 'key player', but Wesley will develop further; he has more to give us. IMHO, he needs more coaching and more assimilation-time into the EPL style (as Luiz has had).

... and: we will not get much for him now anyway, after the 9 months of injury.
I don't expect us to sell him because of the injury.  Equally I don't have your faith in him coming good, but would love to be proven wrong.
Well, let's hope he does!! - I like the idea of Villa having Brazilian internationals playing for us :-)

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #784 on: July 27, 2020, 03:20:11 PM »
I'd look, this summer, for focused spending.  We'll lose Baston and Drinkwater definitely, so they need replacing.  Jota isn't playing - swapping him for a pacy winger would make sense, although I'd not treat that as high a priority as the other two.  I'd bring in first team starters rather than squad players in those positions.  I'd not be against signing Pepe Reina on a 1 year contract, or extending his loan for another season, as cover.

That still leaves a few less-than-convincing players, but they'll be absolutely fine as squad players next season.  We've only got a fairly short pre-season, so I think bringing in any more than 2 or 3 players is a disaster waiting to happen - you just can't integrate that many players in the squad in such a short space of time and not expect the same kind of problems that have (necessarily) dogged us for the whole of this season.
Tammy Abraham (should integrate quickly) + Sarr + the best quality holding midfielder we can afford.  Plus Reina on loan for another year.  We won't get much change from £100m, but we'll have a significantly better first team, a slightly stronger squad, and all the players (bar Reina) are almost certain to go up in value.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #785 on: July 27, 2020, 03:31:59 PM »
Flog Wes and Samatta. 

Add £100m and buy two quality strikers to rotate with Davis.   Davis will come good.  It’s a confidence thing. 

Also flog Trez and AEG and buy one proper pacey winger. 

Simple this football lark. 

See it’s interesting, and I’m genuinely not having a go, but why couldn’t Wesley’s issues be down to confidence and why is Davis a better bet? Personally I’ve seen more in Wesley than in Davis.

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #786 on: July 27, 2020, 03:40:00 PM »
PACE

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #787 on: July 27, 2020, 03:42:21 PM »
Too much pressure being put on Wesley. He was o.k in the early weeks but I'm struggling to remember a good game he had from middle of October up to Burnley away.

Let's remember Kodj had an electric season in 16/17 when he was one of the best forwards in championship. Two bad injuries later and he was never the same and reverted to a back up option once we got in Tammy. Also seen with McGinn it takes a long time for a player to get back the intensity they had pre injury.

I'm not expecting much from him next season, he probably won't be back until October. In an ideal world I'd loan out Davis until January then recall him and loan out Wes for the rest of the season.

Just a reminder, our collection of strikers this season scored in the grand total of 5 league games. That's with Grealish laying on second most chances in the league.

We need far far better in the final third next season if we want to get up to the giddy heights of 11th or 12th.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #788 on: July 27, 2020, 03:47:17 PM »
What’s the “warchest”? £100m £150m more... that’s before Jack’s future is sorted.

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #789 on: July 27, 2020, 03:47:26 PM »
PACE

And finishing. Must be a proven goal scorer at the very top level

Online dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #790 on: July 27, 2020, 03:58:35 PM »
Whoever the person was who thought Drinkwater was a good idea is someone we should be concerned about if they were given the transfer kitty.

Personally, I think we need two wingers with a proven goalscorer upfront. We also need a left-back and a steely horrible bastard in midfield.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #791 on: July 27, 2020, 04:04:02 PM »
What’s the “warchest”? £100m £150m more... that’s before Jack’s future is sorted.

I love a good war chest.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #792 on: July 27, 2020, 04:21:54 PM »
Davis will come good.  It’s a confidence thing. 

No its not i'm afraid - at the very best he will be a poor mans Heskey. He is decent at what he does and by bringing him on fresh at 60+ minutes has been a master stroke over recent games.

But goal scoring is a natural thing and cannot be learned, it can be improved upon but not taught as the majority of the time it is pure instinct.

Davis just does not have that in his game. All those criticising Wesley i would have bet him to have scored that chance against Arsenal.

Just to put it into how hard it is to get that special striker

1st Jamie Vardy 23 goals

2nd Danny Ings 22 goals

3rd Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang 22 goals

4th Raheem Sterling 20 goals

5th Mohamed Salah 19 goals

6th Harry Kane 18 goals

7th Sadio Mané 18 goals

8th Marcus Rashford 17 goals

9th Anthony Martial 17 goals

10th Raúl Jiménez 17 goals

To put into context Wesley scored 5 goals in 21 league games so improving on that is either serious money (and even then we would not get a sniff at any in the top 10) or another gamble abroad

Its a tough call

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #793 on: July 27, 2020, 04:24:30 PM »
Still have a lot of holes to fill in the side for next season, so it may be a case of having to prioritise.  Key areas for me are experienced players to partner Mings and Luiz respectively (though Konsa had a good end to the season).  Then it has to be a quality striker, wide player and possibly an attacking midfielder, in that order.

I'm still far from convinced by our full backs, but we may need to prioritise other areas. 

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #794 on: July 27, 2020, 04:27:53 PM »
Bloody hell, if Davis’ record doesn’t already scream it, let’s be very honest. He isn’t a Prem - or even Championship for that matter - striker in a million years. Willing worker, yes and probably a real pain to mark for his physicality but he doesn’t score goals, which is a key flaw in the plan for a striker.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal