collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864369 times)

Offline AsTallAsLions

Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #765 on: July 27, 2020, 02:33:44 PM »
Terrible, terrible idea.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #766 on: July 27, 2020, 02:35:17 PM »
I'd give AEM another 12 months tbh. Really like his mentality, someone who dosen't play for ages and then comes in and gives consistant performances. If we had more of his type in our squad we'd have been safe well before the final day.

Try to offer Taylor in a swop with a club who's got a decent young LB.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #767 on: July 27, 2020, 02:49:22 PM »
Sturridge??? Fuck no. Where has that suggestion come from?

It’s been floating out there. He’s looking for a club. I’d rather we didn’t sign him but don’t think it’s that bad under very defined circumstances. That is contract is not ridiculous and the expectation of him is that he is a squad player at best and not someone who will demand a regular starting position which he is no longer capable of providing. But if I have to put up with that fucking shit goal celebration the rather it was with us.

But we should be looking at way, way better than him; starting options and squad.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #768 on: July 27, 2020, 02:51:15 PM »
haven't we just been through the let's sign a has been thing yet again with Drinkwater? Please let that be the last act in the last chance Villa saloon.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #769 on: July 27, 2020, 02:55:43 PM »
haven't we just been through the let's sign a has been thing yet again with Drinkwater? Please let that be the last act in the last chance Villa saloon.

Whilst I think there are always exceptions to the rule, for instance, Pepe Reina coming in at the age of 60, I just don't see Villa going in that direction. 

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #770 on: July 27, 2020, 02:56:41 PM »
Signing Sturridge would indicate we haven't learned from past mistakes.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #771 on: July 27, 2020, 02:56:59 PM »
Goalkeepers are different. Under no circumstances should we decide to fix our most problematic area with a player who last played three succesive games when John Major was Prime Minister.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #772 on: July 27, 2020, 02:58:31 PM »
Wesley is better than both Samatta and Davis. Why would we sell him first?
I don't think anybody would buy him until he's proved his fitness.  But personally I don't hink he's anywhere near good enough for the PL and doubt he ever will be.  If we could recoup the money paid then we should be biting hands off.  Hopefully he'll prove me very wrong next season, but I saw nothing in him at all that led me to believe he can be what we need going forward.

There was a lot missing with him, like positional sense etc and lots to improve. Saying that with all the problems he still scored 6 goals by New Year’s Day, which is more than Samatta or Davies have ever looked like scoring. I think he’ll stay, Hopefully improve and become a player for us, a bit like Luiz who didn’t really look like he could cut it before lockdown. However we can’t make the same mistake again if relying on Wes as the main man, he has to be back up to someone whose more of the finished article.
Put a decent co-striker alongside him and he'll be fine.
Certainly a better prospect than Samatta.
We don't play with 2 strikers. 
Well, I think AEG and Trez would disagree with you (after all, we know they're not proper wingers!!).

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #773 on: July 27, 2020, 02:59:17 PM »
We are probably at a disadvantage to most teams in the division in that we haven't known whether we would still be a Premier League team until yesterday.

The level of player available to us and the budget would only now become clear.

It also doesn't help that the turnaround to the start of the season is so short. September 12th is what 6 weeks away?

Should be a fascinating few weeks ahead of us.

Offline Mister E

« Reply #774 on: July 27, 2020, 03:00:39 PM »
And a fit Wesley isn't better than Samatta, who also has been a disappointment.

Errr, if you check the facts of the just-finished season I think you'll find he is.
In his first season in the EPL, Wesley did ok for the time he was available to play. There's much more we should expect of him next season.

Offline Mister E

« Reply #775 on: July 27, 2020, 03:01:55 PM »
Definitely quality over quantity which is a refreshing change. Really like Brooks and Starr...
Ringo or Freddy?
Both are a little old, I reckon.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #776 on: July 27, 2020, 03:06:46 PM »
Wesley is better than both Samatta and Davis. Why would we sell him first?
I don't think anybody would buy him until he's proved his fitness.  But personally I don't hink he's anywhere near good enough for the PL and doubt he ever will be.  If we could recoup the money paid then we should be biting hands off.  Hopefully he'll prove me very wrong next season, but I saw nothing in him at all that led me to believe he can be what we need going forward.

There was a lot missing with him, like positional sense etc and lots to improve. Saying that with all the problems he still scored 6 goals by New Year’s Day, which is more than Samatta or Davies have ever looked like scoring. I think he’ll stay, Hopefully improve and become a player for us, a bit like Luiz who didn’t really look like he could cut it before lockdown. However we can’t make the same mistake again if relying on Wes as the main man, he has to be back up to someone whose more of the finished article.
Put a decent co-striker alongside him and he'll be fine.
Certainly a better prospect than Samatta.
We don't play with 2 strikers. 
Well, I think AEG and Trez would disagree with you (after all, we know they're not proper wingers!!).
I'd class Trez and AEG as wingers, just pretty poor ones.  Obviously any striker should be better with better service, but I still think he's hugely limited and would not want to rely on him as a key player next season.

Offline Mister E

« Reply #777 on: July 27, 2020, 03:10:21 PM »
I'd class Trez and AEG as wingers, just pretty poor ones.  Obviously any striker should be better with better service, but I still think he's hugely limited and would not want to rely on him as a key player next season.
You're right: we shouldn't rely on him - or any other player - as a 'key player', but Wesley will develop further; he has more to give us. IMHO, he needs more coaching and more assimilation-time into the EPL style (as Luiz has had).

... and: we will not get much for him now anyway, after the 9 months of injury.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #778 on: July 27, 2020, 03:11:00 PM »
there’s nothing more nailed on than we will end up with Jessie Lingard at some point in his career

I’m saying this as a bad thing that will happen

Online TonyD

« Reply #779 on: July 27, 2020, 03:11:30 PM »
Flog Wes and Samatta. 

Add £100m and buy two quality strikers to rotate with Davis.   Davis will come good.  It’s a confidence thing. 

Also flog Trez and AEG and buy one proper pacey winger. 

Simple this football lark. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal