collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 07:02:22 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by JD
[Today at 05:32:46 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Hillbilly
[Today at 04:32:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864242 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #270 on: July 06, 2020, 09:33:56 PM »

The thing is, though, how good would they all be if they'd been together for five years with the occasional new signing? Lowton is a perfectly good Premier League player, Gollini is an international and Amavi will be in the next Champions League. That's what long-term planning can do.

Your long-term planning assumes that all those players wanted to stay, or that we could afford for them to all stay.  I think it was plain as day that Amavi and especially Veretout couldn't wait to get away.

Because we'd been relegated.

Well, exactly.  Planning for the long-term is only really possible if the young and hungry brigade are good enough to keep you up.  They weren't in 2016, and they're not this year either

By 2016 that team would have been good enough to stay up and build on.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #271 on: July 06, 2020, 09:38:48 PM »
That could well be another reason to stick with Smith even if we do drop.

Has to go.

We need better coaching, tactics and game management whatever division we are in.

First signing needs to be a new manager.

Then we need 3-4 players that give the new coach a balanced team for whatever formation/s he wants to play.

Get rid of proven aging dross like Lansbury and try some of the kids to fill the squad out.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #272 on: July 06, 2020, 09:40:53 PM »

The thing is, though, how good would they all be if they'd been together for five years with the occasional new signing? Lowton is a perfectly good Premier League player, Gollini is an international and Amavi will be in the next Champions League. That's what long-term planning can do.

Your long-term planning assumes that all those players wanted to stay, or that we could afford for them to all stay.  I think it was plain as day that Amavi and especially Veretout couldn't wait to get away.

Because we'd been relegated.

Well, exactly.  Planning for the long-term is only really possible if the young and hungry brigade are good enough to keep you up.  They weren't in 2016, and they're not this year either

Were the younger players the problem? The players that really let us down in the relegation season were Guzan, Richards, Lescott and Gabby. They were supposed to be the experienced spine and they were all fucking shit. Of the younger signings the only one who played regularly and was unmitigated shit was Gestede and he's the one that I never saw the appeal of.

To bring young players through from the reserves and/or smaller leagues you need to have some leaders in the squad that can build around. This year if we can keep Heaton, Mings and Mcginn I think that gives us a pretty solid leadership group, keep most of the younger first players (Konsa, Hause, Targett, Guilbert, Luiz, Nakamba, Wesley, AEG) and you're on the right tracks to having a team that you can build around.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #273 on: July 06, 2020, 09:45:56 PM »
Paul’s got a massive point there, that season the older heads really did let us down badly. Gestede was a terrible signing, I don’t have any idea why we bought him or even how we managed to sell him.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #274 on: July 06, 2020, 10:11:58 PM »
I think Rudy Gestede was bought because he ticked the boxes of the Teach Yourself How To Buy  An Overseas Player pull out supplement.  Later used to buy Moraes and Samatta.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #275 on: July 06, 2020, 10:16:04 PM »
Probably because he'd just bagged 20 plus goals in the next league down and looked like he was one who could make the transition. As it was, he couldn't.

But yes, that leadership group of Guzan, Lescott, Richards and Gabby were horseshit.   Imagine being a young player looking fr guidance or good examples during that period.  Like stumbling into Gerry Cottle's circus.

Richards may have been battling a long-term injury as part mitigation. Gabby became a legend in his own lunchtime. All his woes were self inflicted.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #276 on: July 06, 2020, 10:16:18 PM »
That was fully exposed in the Chewing Gum Spitting Outrage.

yeah but that was a perfect storm of the worse set of  players in ability and rotten attitude in my lifetime at least. I was always a bit incredulous of people on here expecting RDM and later Bruce to turn round the damage overnight by throwing money at it and expecting us to get promoted straight off. This set of players......well i wouldn't necessary disagree if someone said so and so wasn't good enough for a promotion challenge, but there's a core there that are good enough given a bit of confidence, and more importantly, aren't arseholes.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #277 on: July 06, 2020, 10:20:01 PM »
Probably because he'd just bagged 20 plus goals in the next league down and looked like he was one who could make the transition. As it was, he couldn't.

But yes, that leadership group of Guzan, Lescott, Richards and Gabby were horseshit.   Imagine being a young player looking fr guidance or good examples during that period.  Like stumbling into Gerry Cottle's circus.

Richards may have been battling a long-term injury as part mitigation. Gabby became a legend in his own lunchtime. All his woes were self inflicted.

I don't see how, despite the 20 goals, anyone can have watched him play and thought he was good enough, one of the most technically poor players I've ever seen.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #278 on: July 06, 2020, 10:23:26 PM »
I reckon he was bought as it was thought we'd be putting in a shit load of crosses all season, as it was, the ones expected to put them in spent most of the season injured or playing shit.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #279 on: July 06, 2020, 10:28:13 PM »
His scoring record was pretty terrible prior to that season with Boro before he signed. He just didn’t look mobile and wasn’t great on the ball, considering we’d supposedly bought ball players from a France, it seemed an odd signing.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #280 on: July 06, 2020, 10:31:04 PM »
I reckon he was bought as it was thought we'd be putting in a shit load of crosses all season, as it was, the ones expected to put them in spent most of the season injured or playing shit.

well at least we got our money back selling him. mind you his scoring record doesn't look too bad atm with only Kienan "Ivanhoe" Davis up front

Hang on.............he's been let go. Bring him in ffs. He may not score this season, but at least there's hope.....
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 10:48:05 PM by sickbeggar »

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #281 on: July 06, 2020, 10:50:39 PM »
Gestede was crap before he joined us, crap with us and crap after.

I think the entire 'young and hungry' thing failed mainly because we didn't have enough grown adults playing alongside them. Lots of those young players have gone on to do well, which kind of backs up that suspicion. Although Jordan Bowery is probably a shift manager at Nando's by now, so not all of them.

I totally agree what really let us down was the behaviour of some of those who should have known better. Agbonlahor, for a start, who managed combine being "Villa through and through" with being a fat waster who managed 3 or 4 goals a year.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #282 on: July 06, 2020, 11:09:37 PM »
That was fully exposed in the Chewing Gum Spitting Outrage.

yeah but that was a perfect storm of the worse set of  players in ability and rotten attitude in my lifetime at least. I was always a bit incredulous of people on here expecting RDM and later Bruce to turn round the damage overnight by throwing money at it and expecting us to get promoted straight off. This set of players......well i wouldn't necessary disagree if someone said so and so wasn't good enough for a promotion challenge, but there's a core there that are good enough given a bit of confidence, and more importantly, aren't arseholes.

Yep, the whole set up was completely rotten by that point.  That Christmas video just epitomised the attitude around the place.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 11:11:29 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #283 on: July 06, 2020, 11:15:43 PM »
I couldn't help myself, I had to look up Bowery. He scored 2 for Milton Keynes this/last season, and has now moved to Mansfield Town for free.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #284 on: July 06, 2020, 11:20:31 PM »
120 million spent, no pace, no experience and no striker.

When we get relegated signing Grabban and Gayle is a must. I don't care what happens with Davis, Wesley or Samatta.

Err, ok. Lets sign a 29 year old and a 32 year old that are not quite good enough for the top flight, that will sort all of our problems out.

Dwight Gayle is hardly ancient, scored 20 odd for WBA just the other season and been injured a lot this season but scored two recently v us and Bournemouth.

He comes in and scores his usual and then he becomes a squad striker in premier league which he's been doing this season for Newcastle. Also means we've got one less striker to sign once we're promoted again. I'm also assuming Davis, Wesley and Samatta all stay so you'd like to think one of those would have a really good season scoring wise and show they're ready to do something in the premier league.

Newcastle signed Gayle after getting relegated in 2016. He scored 23 goals and they won the league so a manager like Benitez knew what he was doing in that situation. They also signed Matt Ritchie from Bournemouth and Clark from us and both are still part of their squad four years on as they have another comfortable mid table finish.

Would pass on Grabban though who isn't good enough for the premier league so that would be a very short term move. Can see us going for Lolley who's the grand old age of 27.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 11:27:51 PM by SoccerHQ »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal