collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864249 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #150 on: July 02, 2020, 09:43:27 AM »
After his injury I don’t see many paying the fee for Wesley to leave. He will be here start of next season imo

Exits
Wingers - good riddance
Jack
McGinn
Mings
Engels
Luiz
Samatta

Rest stay
And surely that leaves us with a somewhat worse suad than last time we went down?  Yes we'll have a pocket full of cash but clubs will know this and seek exhobitant prices.  I fear for us, I really do.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #151 on: July 02, 2020, 10:18:51 AM »
I'm hoping it will allow people like Barry to come in. We will need some astute buys and loans but we can make an impact with the right management, which will be the most important signing. Tactics Tim reckons  Grealish to Yanited  is a done deal.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #152 on: July 02, 2020, 10:20:07 AM »
After his injury I don’t see many paying the fee for Wesley to leave. He will be here start of next season imo

Exits
Wingers - good riddance
Jack
McGinn
Mings
Engels
Luiz
Samatta

Rest stay
And surely that leaves us with a somewhat worse suad than last time we went down?  Yes we'll have a pocket full of cash but clubs will know this and seek exhobitant prices.  I fear for us, I really do.

Most championship clubs And in Europe won’t have a pot to piss in this summer let alone be in a position to ask for silly fees for players

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #153 on: July 02, 2020, 10:20:24 AM »
There's never a summer where we just need 1 or 2 players. Its always revolution and flux.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #154 on: July 02, 2020, 10:24:54 AM »
There's never a summer where we just need 1 or 2 players. Its always revolution and flux.

Yep.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #155 on: July 02, 2020, 10:31:11 AM »

Exits
Wingers - good riddance
Jack
McGinn
Mings
Engels
Luiz
Samatta

Rest stay
I don't think they will be rid of the wingers (sad to say), since Smith will see them as assets in the lower league. Hopefully Trez is on his way to Turkey, but if there are no buyers they will be with us.
We have to break the buy-sell cycle by bringing in Louie Barry, the Ramseys, Bridge, Vassilev, Archer, etc; obviously in a structured and coordinated fashion. Put them in a 25-man squad and then nurture them.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #156 on: July 02, 2020, 10:33:49 AM »
Not inclined to write Wesley off just yet. I mean he's  taken a huge step-up from Belgium and at 23 you're not the finished product. Abraham didn't hit the premiership floor running either. Wrong player to buy at the time undoubtably, but he's the sort of player we'll offload for a loss only to see him back in the premiership for 60m in 2 years time.
He'd scored 5 goals when he got injured; may have doubled that in the course of a whole season. Not a bad first-season return.
The challenge was that we were not set up to play to his style of football. He needs runners playing off him, not wingers humping the ball into the 6 yard box.
He looks like a player we bought not having decided on our footballing strategy and style of play.

Acquiring players needs to be done in the context of a bigger picture: not just because a player has a good record elsewhere or looks like 'a good deal'; or is offered by a favoured agent.

I think the problem with Wesley is that Smith expected us to be playing higher up the pitch so the wingers would be much closer to him. His inexperience of the pace and tenacity of the game at this level has been part of the problem all season. We set up, in most games, to be playing on the front foot and pressing high up the pitch but far too often we let ourselves get pushed deeper and end up defending our box for long periods and we don't have players in the right positions to be able to relieve the pressure and change the momentum of the game.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #157 on: July 02, 2020, 10:39:37 AM »

The last time was probably after the 95/96 season or maybe 96/97. Over 20 years ago that’s how bad the mismanagement of this club has been in the intervening period.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #158 on: July 02, 2020, 10:43:33 AM »

The last time was probably after the 95/96 season or maybe 96/97. Over 20 years ago that’s how bad the mismanagement of this club has been in the intervening period.

In the where did it all go wrong thread I said poor recruitment. I put back to the summer of 2015, but you're right. Recruitment has been so utterly shambolic for years.

2014 was horrendous too. 2013 was a gamble, 2012 was dire bar Benteke and 2011; replace Young and Downing with Nzogbia?! 2010 a new defence, 2009 a new defence. And on and on and on. You're right, decades now of repeated supidity.

Either good players at the wrong time or just dross.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #159 on: July 02, 2020, 10:52:26 AM »
What is the issue with Engels - is his lack of playing time solely injury related or has he had some falling out with the coaching staff?

A back 5 of Heaton, Konsa, Engels, Guilbert and Targett should be pretty solid in the Championship (with Heaton probably being the most important one of the 5 due to his experience and organisational skills).

As others have said above, losing that amount of players (obviously our better ones) makes it so much harder to bounce straight back up.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #160 on: July 02, 2020, 11:02:56 AM »
What is the issue with Engels - is his lack of playing time solely injury related or has he had some falling out with the coaching staff?

A back 5 of Heaton, Konsa, Engels, Guilbert and Targett should be pretty solid in the Championship (with Heaton probably being the most important one of the 5 due to his experience and organisational skills).

As others have said above, losing that amount of players (obviously our better ones) makes it so much harder to bounce straight back up.

It was reported earlier in the season he fell out with Smith, which coincided with him being dropped. Not convinced that that back five would look up to much in the Championship, Target and Konsa can't defend and Guilbert collects yellow cards at an alarming rate.

I think Mings will stay though, and we know he is pretty good at Championship level. He will have to stay and atone for his shitness this season. No way are we getting our money back for him given his dreadful form in the Premier League, and selling for a loss makes FFP worse than keeping him.

Can see Heaton going though, we didn't pay much and will get offers for him.

Whatever happens we need to bring in an experienced centre back.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #161 on: July 02, 2020, 07:07:29 PM »
Not inclined to write Wesley off just yet. I mean he's  taken a huge step-up from Belgium and at 23 you're not the finished product. Abraham didn't hit the premiership floor running either. Wrong player to buy at the time undoubtably, but he's the sort of player we'll offload for a loss only to see him back in the premiership for 60m in 2 years time.

I agree. Far too soon, and completely unnecessary, to write off Wesley yet.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #162 on: July 02, 2020, 07:16:52 PM »
As with most summers, the first name on my fantasy transfer list is Milner. He'd improve us at the moment 1000%.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #163 on: July 02, 2020, 07:47:36 PM »
As with most summers, the first name on my fantasy transfer list is Milner. He'd improve us at the moment 1000%.
he's extended his contract at Liverpool. There was talk of him going to Leeds if they went up.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #164 on: July 02, 2020, 10:34:34 PM »

It was reported earlier in the season he fell out with Smith, which coincided with him being dropped. Not convinced that that back five would look up to much in the Championship, Target and Konsa can't defend and Guilbert collects yellow cards at an alarming rate.

I think Mings will stay though, and we know he is pretty good at Championship level. He will have to stay and atone for his shitness this season. No way are we getting our money back for him given his dreadful form in the Premier League, and selling for a loss makes FFP worse than keeping him.

Can see Heaton going though, we didn't pay much and will get offers for him.

Whatever happens we need to bring in an experienced centre back.

Yes but it's a much lower quality, think of how desperate Hutton looked defensively in 15/16 and then he was largely fine the following season.

Targett got promoted with Fulham and Konsa was part of the decent Brentford team so while they struggle in this league I think they'll be largely fine below with an experienced CB next to them if Mings goes. Keeping Heaton would be a big boost aswell, don't see why not. He stayed when Burnley went down in 2015.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal