collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864392 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2020, 12:37:01 PM »
Who remembers the halcyon days of the 'high press'?  I'm going back a bit I know...

The press, traps in midfield, jumpers for goalposts...

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2020, 12:54:45 PM »
Mister E the 2 players referred to were never deemed suitable.  O'Hare has done ok for Coventry and RHM has done doing of note anywhere. Trez and Jota are demonstrably better players as they have a track record, the problem is they have been hugely underwhelming for us, something you can level at most players who have joined us in recent times.
I'm not sure they were given much of a chance.
My point stands: we wasted £10m on 2 players when we could have given the same sort of game-time to players with potential from within the club.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2020, 12:57:36 PM »
I have driven 477 miles today, to York and back, lots of time to think about villa.  i was wondering, if newcastle want McGinn, lets ask them for a swap with Hayden, he wants to move south and I wonder whether he might be persuaded to drop down a level, knowing that we will get back up?  We also need that physical presence in midfield.  Second one, I wonder if Albrighton might fancy coming back.  Experience, Villa fan.  Is Snodgrass getting games at West ham?  All three are experienced players and would do a job if and when we drop down.  We also need a commanding centre half.  Not sure who though.

Agreed on all three....if we get relegated. Snodgrass is out of contract this summer I think aswell. Duffy at Brighton too as RCB, annoys me playing for Ireland but a big brute at the back is a must for the Championship. Presume Engels will be off either way really.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2020, 06:25:40 PM »
I have driven 477 miles today, to York and back, lots of time to think about villa.  i was wondering, if newcastle want McGinn, lets ask them for a swap with Hayden, he wants to move south and I wonder whether he might be persuaded to drop down a level, knowing that we will get back up?  We also need that physical presence in midfield.  Second one, I wonder if Albrighton might fancy coming back.  Experience, Villa fan.  Is Snodgrass getting games at West ham?  All three are experienced players and would do a job if and when we drop down.  We also need a commanding centre half.  Not sure who though.

Agreed on all three....if we get relegated. Snodgrass is out of contract this summer I think aswell. Duffy at Brighton too as RCB, annoys me playing for Ireland but a big brute at the back is a must for the Championship. Presume Engels will be off either way really.

Problem is with Snoddy and Albrighton is they are both quite slow. I'd take them, but you still need to get some pace in there or it will become very predictable. I think in the champ if he stays Wesley will be a big player for us. Hourihane will get us a number of points on his own with his left peg, but we need to keep a couple of willing runners around him in the middle of the park. Not having Jack will mean changing how we play which might help us shape wise.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #139 on: July 01, 2020, 07:05:47 PM »
Mister E the 2 players referred to were never deemed suitable.  O'Hare has done ok for Coventry and RHM has done doing of note anywhere. Trez and Jota are demonstrably better players as they have a track record, the problem is they have been hugely underwhelming for us, something you can level at most players who have joined us in recent times.
My point stands: we wasted £10m on 2 players when we could have given the same sort of game-time to players with potential from within the club.

Jota has only ever been played wide right as far as I can remember.
He's no winger. he doesn't have the speed.
IMO, he would be worth a go as a tresquartista/No 10.

Offline Mister E

« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2020, 09:41:28 PM »

Jota has only ever been played wide right as far as I can remember.
He's no winger. he doesn't have the speed.
IMO, he would be worth a go as a tresquartista/No 10.
He'd require a very good team around him. Which we don't have.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #141 on: July 01, 2020, 10:34:44 PM »

Problem is with Snoddy and Albrighton is they are both quite slow. I'd take them, but you still need to get some pace in there or it will become very predictable. I think in the champ if he stays Wesley will be a big player for us. Hourihane will get us a number of points on his own with his left peg, but we need to keep a couple of willing runners around him in the middle of the park. Not having Jack will mean changing how we play which might help us shape wise.

I don't see a footballer at all in big Wes

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #142 on: July 01, 2020, 10:53:50 PM »
I think he's far better than Samatta.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2020, 10:55:32 PM »
It seems so long ago.

Offline The_ads

« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2020, 11:56:58 PM »
Injured players get a lot better when they ain’t playing. The Wesley I remember was mostly garbage until the injury. Not saying the kid can’t come on mind - he’ll be a right handful in the Championship if he can mix it with the centre halves you find in that league

Offline nordenvillain

« Reply #145 on: July 02, 2020, 12:02:10 AM »

I don't see a footballer at all in big Wes
I saw a player having his best game so far until Ben Mee decided to finish his season with a dreadful tackle. For probably the first time, I saw Wesley playing with confidence.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #146 on: July 02, 2020, 07:53:53 AM »
Not inclined to write Wesley off just yet. I mean he's  taken a huge step-up from Belgium and at 23 you're not the finished product. Abraham didn't hit the premiership floor running either. Wrong player to buy at the time undoubtably, but he's the sort of player we'll offload for a loss only to see him back in the premiership for 60m in 2 years time.

Offline Mister E

« Reply #147 on: July 02, 2020, 08:58:12 AM »
Not inclined to write Wesley off just yet. I mean he's  taken a huge step-up from Belgium and at 23 you're not the finished product. Abraham didn't hit the premiership floor running either. Wrong player to buy at the time undoubtably, but he's the sort of player we'll offload for a loss only to see him back in the premiership for 60m in 2 years time.
He'd scored 5 goals when he got injured; may have doubled that in the course of a whole season. Not a bad first-season return.
The challenge was that we were not set up to play to his style of football. He needs runners playing off him, not wingers humping the ball into the 6 yard box.
He looks like a player we bought not having decided on our footballing strategy and style of play.

Acquiring players needs to be done in the context of a bigger picture: not just because a player has a good record elsewhere or looks like 'a good deal'; or is offered by a favoured agent.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2020, 09:05:05 AM »
After his injury I don’t see many paying the fee for Wesley to leave. He will be here start of next season imo

Exits
Wingers - good riddance
Jack
McGinn
Mings
Engels
Luiz
Samatta

Rest stay

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #149 on: July 02, 2020, 09:17:00 AM »
He'd scored 5 goals when he got injured; may have doubled that in the course of a whole season. Not a bad first-season return.
The challenge was that we were not set up to play to his style of football. He needs runners playing off him, not wingers humping the ball into the 6 yard box.
He looks like a player we bought not having decided on our footballing strategy and style of play.

Acquiring players needs to be done in the context of a bigger picture: not just because a player has a good record elsewhere or looks like 'a good deal'; or is offered by a favoured agent.

yeah buying a foreign 23 year old with no top flight experience for big money to get the goals in a team with not exactly world class creators to provide the chances......the best you can say is it was a gamble which no-one thought had much chance of coming off.. That said, if the worse comes to the worse and we go down, i think he'll find his feet in the championship no problem, and if we stay up he can only improve.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal