collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 02:36:48 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 02:28:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The rapid decline of the 92/93 team  (Read 31111 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: The rapid decline of the 92/93 team
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2020, 02:46:32 PM »

Wasn't he having an affair with someone who was documenting it week-by-week via Dannys Baker & Kelly?

It was apparently an old one from his time at Leicester.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2020, 02:50:15 PM »

Wasn't he having an affair with someone who was documenting it week-by-week via Dannys Baker & Kelly?

That rings a bell. The old dog (him, not her!)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2020, 03:31:19 PM »
Does he talk about it in his recent memoir?

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2020, 03:53:10 PM »

If memory recalls she had photos of herself and Brian and he paid £5k for them if you believe what she told Baker and Kelly. I think Dave you revealed on here many years ago that the bagman/driver for the cash was one Dave Chance?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2020, 04:43:25 PM »

If memory recalls she had photos of herself and Brian and he paid £5k for them if you believe what she told Baker and Kelly. I think Dave you revealed on here many years ago that the bagman/driver for the cash was one Dave Chance?

She was also shagging two of the players, one of whom allegedly 'showed her around the offices' when he subsequently joined us.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2020, 04:44:02 PM »

I certainly did not.

Offline eamonn

« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2020, 04:44:46 PM »
What?! Sounds more like that Sky One Dream Team drama.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2020, 05:14:52 PM »
No wonder we started the 97-98 season so badly with four straight defeats including a 0-4 pounding by Blackburn at home. Sounds like there was a lot going on!

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2020, 05:31:44 PM »

She was also shagging two of the players, one of whom allegedly 'showed her around the offices' when he subsequently joined us.

Wft...😄.....did that player recently have a fleeting role in the Sunderland doc on Netflix?

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2020, 06:55:24 PM »

I certainly did not.

Apologies, must have been someone else then when it was discussed eons ago.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2020, 08:50:21 PM »
I shared an apartment in Tenerife for a while in the mid nineties with a friend of a friend who was a Leicester fan (he actually moved in with me until he could find his own place on the day of the Leicester v Villa game when the big fuss was being made in the media about Little being a Judas). If what my mate from Leicester (Stevo) told me was true Brian Little's missus was rumoured to have cheated on Little with more than one Leicester player.

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2020, 09:54:36 PM »
This for sure, we stopped scoring goals and a bit of luck went against us and it all went with Manure, the day they beat Sheff Wed and I think we drew with Coventry.

That day we drew vs Coventry I recall quite an odious kid Leigh Jenkinson time wasting from the first minute for them.

I'd walked to the Birchfield Road, got on a 51, we'd made it in the traffic to the Scott Arms when Manure's Fergie time goal went in.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2020, 11:32:17 PM »
The odder one for me is the 95/6 team as we did, at least try, to strengthen that. It could be the age old Villa problem of being behind the curve. Football was changing but we still wanted to recreate the Saunders era.

The 90s, oh, what a missed opportunity they were for Villa.

Somebody said '90 was the real missed opportunity and, maybe by a shade, we looked more like champions in '90?

I was more disappointed that Brian Little's team didn't 'kick on'. Even though we finished 5th in 1996-97, at the time, it seemed somewhat disappointing after our superb season in 95-96. We were poor in the cups in 96-97.

1997-98 was really disappointing. Nothing seemed right. Little didn't seem himself that year and the performances were poor. At the time, it seemed the signing of Collymore upset things.

Overall, as others have said, on the three occasions where we had a chance to push on and  become champions ('90, '93 and '96-'97) we just didn't buy the top player(s) that would give us that edge. I often think the summer of 1997 was a real missed opportunity. I think we were a midfielder and an upgrade on Savo away from being an exceptional side. Instead we ended up with Collymore being shoe-horned into the side with Yorke and Milosevic.

Yep.  Quite firmly established in the higher reaches of the top flight at the time, though not always finishing there, we were behind the curve bringing in top quality foreign players when we could have probably attracted them.  Arsenal were bringing in Bergkamp, Chelsea brought in Gullit, Zola, Vialli,  Newcastle signed Ginola, Asprilla etc. That was the time to show some real ambition, but not to be sadly.

The next chance we got were the early years under Lerner, but not to be again. 

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2020, 11:34:07 PM »
The odder one for me is the 95/6 team as we did, at least try, to strengthen that. It could be the age old Villa problem of being behind the curve. Football was changing but we still wanted to recreate the Saunders era.

The 90s, oh, what a missed opportunity they were for Villa.

Somebody said '90 was the real missed opportunity and, maybe by a shade, we looked more like champions in '90?

I was more disappointed that Brian Little's team didn't 'kick on'. Even though we finished 5th in 1996-97, at the time, it seemed somewhat disappointing after our superb season in 95-96. We were poor in the cups in 96-97.

1997-98 was really disappointing. Nothing seemed right. Little didn't seem himself that year and the performances were poor. At the time, it seemed the signing of Collymore upset things.

Overall, as others have said, on the three occasions where we had a chance to push on and  become champions ('90, '93 and '96-'97) we just didn't buy the top player(s) that would give us that edge. I often think the summer of 1997 was a real missed opportunity. I think we were a midfielder and an upgrade on Savo away from being an exceptional side. Instead we ended up with Collymore being shoe-horned into the side with Yorke and Milosevic.

Yep.  Quite firmly established in the higher reaches of the top flight at the time, though not always finishing there, we were behind the curve bringing in top quality foreign players when we could have probably attracted them.  Arsenal were bringing in Bergkamp, Chelsea brought in Gullit, Zola, Vialli,  Newcastle signed agin ola, Asprila etc. That was the time to show some real ambition, but not to be sadly.

The next chance we got were the early years under Lerner, but not to be again. 

The big problem was that we didn't really have anything to attract them. Never was the London factor so important.

Offline eamonn

« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2020, 12:25:59 AM »
Or moreso the money factor? Can't see what else Blackburn, Newcastle or Middlesbrough had over Brum.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal