collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 08:01:03 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:58:40 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:58:20 PM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 07:57:58 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by AV84
[Today at 07:57:29 PM]

Champions League Contention by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 07:55:46 PM]

Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 07:34:00 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 07:33:20 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 45562 times)

Offline Brassneck

Re: Next manager
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2020, 06:49:31 PM »
If we go down, every appointment will be close your eyes and hope.

Whoever we appoint will be a step into the unknown.
In the sense that any change is a risk you're spot on but there are big risks and lesser risks.  I think Farke would be a big risk.

Farke would only be a serious contender if we went down.

He is a Championship winner (unlike our previous Championship managers) and created a fantastic Norwich side.  I'm not sure he'd be as big a risk as you think and if we carry on as we are, Norwich will finish above us as well.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2020, 06:50:10 PM »
Farke is a great shout, however if we ended up with him I'd like a ban on that awful Farke Life song that they sing at Naaarich

How is Farke a great shout? I don't care if he had a far smaller summer transfer budget than Smith, it is crazy to suggest sacking statistically the second worst manager in the Premier League this season and replace him with the worst.
I agree.  It would be just another 'close your eyes and pray' appointment.

Smith was the stand out people’s choice last time around and look at the state of play 18 months later.  We’re playing with less heart than when remi garde was manager.

Whatever the reasons for binning Smith now, 'the state of play 18 months later' is that we're in the division above where he started.

You can argue that he should have been sacked earlier, but you can't knock his appointment.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2020, 06:53:51 PM »
Pretty much what I have been saying for some time. If we do go down the cost of Denos' day at Wembley will have come at some price.

What do you mean by 'Deano' s Day' at Wembley?
What? Is that some kind of insult? Should we have thrown the towel in? Maybe we won’t enter next year? I’m sure all who went or was on the road to Wembley had a bloody good time.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2020, 07:40:25 PM »
Farke is a great shout, however if we ended up with him I'd like a ban on that awful Farke Life song that they sing at Naaarich

How is Farke a great shout? I don't care if he had a far smaller summer transfer budget than Smith, it is crazy to suggest sacking statistically the second worst manager in the Premier League this season and replace him with the worst.

Smith was the stand out people’s choice last time around and look at the state of play 18 months later.  We’re playing with less heart than when remi garde was manager.

Whatever the reasons for binning Smith now, 'the state of play 18 months later' is that we're in the division above where he started.

You can argue that he should have been sacked earlier, but you can't knock his appointment.

I wasn't knocking his appointment - I was making the point at how quickly it turned pear shaped.  Personally, I put the reason for us being a division higher as having Jack in the run in.

I'm sounding like I'm really anti-Smith, which I'm not - I've been a massive supporter up until very recently.  However, the club are and always have been, bigger than any one person and I'm now in the camp of "time for change".  I'm probably gutted more than most that it hasn't worked out for him.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2020, 07:47:22 PM »
John Terry will be the next manager widely being reported

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2020, 07:50:17 PM »
Can we just go out and get the Atalanta manager and be done with it.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2020, 07:54:18 PM »
John Terry will be the next manager widely being reported

Made up.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2020, 08:10:34 PM »
If Terry had a part in the Drinkwater loan fiasco and there us more than an outside chance that he did, he will be on his bike before Smith is.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2020, 08:15:05 PM »
John Terry is the new Terry Connor.

Avoid.

No point in that change. A bigger change will be needed.

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2020, 08:49:44 PM »

I wasn't knocking his appointment - I was making the point at how quickly it turned pear shaped.  Personally, I put the reason for us being a division higher as having Jack in the run in.

I'm sounding like I'm really anti-Smith, which I'm not - I've been a massive supporter up until very recently.  However, the club are and always have been, bigger than any one person and I'm now in the camp of "time for change".  I'm probably gutted more than most that it hasn't worked out for him.

I’m feeling the same about smith, I badly want him to succeed, but can’t see a way out for him at the moment. Monday was beyond any car crash and the fact that Southampton are generally on a worse run than us but beat us comfortably makes it even worse.

I think if we lose to Chelsea he’ll get the boot and as know one worth his salt will take the job for 9 games and they’ll probs want to make a longer term appointment in the summer, they’ll probably hand the reigns to Terry hoping for a Duncan Ferguson tub thumping type of impact. Personally I would love it (with keeganesque desperation) if we somehow won on Saturday and Dean managed to fight on to the end of the season, I know that’s not for everyone.

Looking back to last year, it wasn’t all down to jack. Even at the beginning of the run, after the Derby game, jack understandably after getting thumped wasn’t having a great game game at blues, McGinn coming on as sub after a 3 game ban changed that game, the game after forest away McGinn ran the show again and again the next game boro at home.

Offline colin69

« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2020, 09:04:56 PM »
I cannot for the life of me see how replacing Smith with Terry would work and would be amazed if they went with that.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2020, 09:09:25 PM »
Terry Should go with Smith, he'll probably do well in the future, not here, its done, we need somebody in to kick ass, at least try and make a fist of it in the remaining games, who knows what might happen then, survival even at this late stage has been done before.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2020, 09:10:22 PM »
Who?

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2020, 09:28:21 PM »
I'll probably get accused of being a Bluenose again but how about Steve Mclaren ? even if it's just to hear his Brummie Accent?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2020, 09:35:26 PM »
As an outside the box shout, I've been very impressed with Daniel Farke for a couple of years now - I wonder how he'd have fared with the budget we had?

Short term, it's get to the summer intact and that would mean Big Sam for me.  I wouldn't be adverse to him the following season either, if it meant stability in the Prem.  2 seasons in, as a more established club, we could then look at bringing the next bloke in for the next phase.
Well impressed with Wagner too, before Huddersfield also failed on the 'quality' front.

Remember when he was the new Klopp.

Done well with Schalke in the Bundesliga this season so he wasn't all hype.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal