collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 45568 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Next manager
« on: March 10, 2020, 11:34:12 AM »
I've started a new thread as any sensible suggestions tend to get lost in pages and pages of people saying Smith is shit.

For me, I'd probably stick with Smith as I'm hopeful that if he doesn't keep us up he'd have a pretty good chance of getting us back up next season IF the recruitment is right.  I'd take a serious look at whether Suso is right for us as I think his selections has given our head coach an almost impossible task.  I'd also be looking for a new defensive coach.

But for those who definitely want Smith out - assuming it won't happen until the summer - who would you realistically like to take over?

Offline aj2k77

Re: Next manager
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 11:41:19 AM »
I think they will stick with Smith to save face, seeing as he got a new contract only a few months ago.

I'd sack him, since the last 4/5 months have been continual defeats and increasing poor performances. As for a replacement, I don't know, but we need to start aiming for managers with better track records and aim a little higher than we have done. If the sky's the limit then Brentford managers can't be the limit of our ambition.

It reminds me of having all of Lerner's fortune at our hands and coming up holding Marlon Harewood and Zat Knight from a transfer window. Take it serious, show intent and stop fucking around.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 11:53:45 AM »
We have to look to someone like Pochechino or maybe Rafa Benitez, with the owners we have we have to aim big, I think they値l try and save face and stick with Smith but surely he has to give them something before the end of this season.  If we finish with less than 32 points it could get very nasty.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 11:55:51 AM »
We have to look to someone like Pochechino or maybe Rafa Benitez, with the owners we have we have to aim big, I think they値l try and save face and stick with Smith but surely he has to give them something before the end of this season.  If we finish with less than 32 points it could get very nasty.
There's a bit of a gap between those two but it absolutely must be someone of at least Benitez's level.  No more has beens, never was-es, or shots in the dark.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 11:57:37 AM »
If we are serious about being a big club then Poch.
It looks like Manure Chelsea Citeh Arse 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' and even Everton will keep their incumbents.
But we now look like too big a risk, it might have been possible in December though.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 12:09:20 PM »
It looks like Manure Chelsea Citeh Arse 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' and even Everton will keep their incumbents.
But we now look like too big a risk, it might have been possible in December though.
Thing is I heard it would take 4 years in the PL until FFP would allow us to pay similar wages to teams in the bottom half of the league.  I just can't see Poch taking on that sort of project when FFP ties our hands for so long.  But if we could get someone like him then I'd move pretty quickly to Smith out! 

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 12:10:27 PM »
It depends where we are when Smith goes. I've just put this list in the Smith Out thread...

Out of work managers and their last club......

Valverde - Barcelona
Pochettino - Spurs
Kovac - Bayern
Fernandez - PSG
Allegri - Juventus
Emery - Arsenal
Spalletti - Inter
Giampaolo - AC Milan
Silva - Everton
Blanc - PSG
Allardyce - Everton
Pellegrini - West Ham
Hughes - Southampton
Gracia - Watford
Flores - Watford
Hughton - Brighton

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 12:11:58 PM »
It depends where we are when Smith goes. I've just put this list in the Smith Out thread...

Valverde - Barcelona
Pochettino - Spurs
Kovac - Bayern
Fernandez - PSG
Allegri - Juventus
Emery - Arsenal
Spalletti - Inter
Giampaolo - AC Milan
Silva - Everton
Blanc - PSG
Allardyce - Everton
Pellegrini - West Ham
Hughes - Southampton
Gracia - Watford
Flores - Watford
Hughton - Brighton
Which would you like Drummond?  Assuming we go down.

Online Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 12:12:44 PM »
There's a bit of a gap between those two but it absolutely must be someone of at least Benitez's level.  No more has beens, never was-es, or shots in the dark.
Benitez has Championship experience if/when the worst happens: he got Newcastle back up at the first time of asking

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 12:16:36 PM »
Benitez has Championship experience if/when the worst happens: he got Newcastle back up at the first time of asking
I think a lot of people are attracted by Benitez's name.  He plays the type of incredibly defensive football which if served up by an English manager would have many posters on here building the gallows in no time. 

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 12:21:17 PM »
I think a lot of people are attracted by Benitez's name.  He plays the type of incredibly defensive football which if served up by an English manager would have many posters on here building the gallows in no time.
A lot of people were attracted by Dean Smith being a Villa fan.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 12:21:40 PM »

Thing is I heard it would take 4 years in the PL until FFP would allow us to pay similar wages to teams in the bottom half of the league.  I just can't see Poch taking on that sort of project when FFP ties our hands for so long.  But if we could get someone like him then I'd move pretty quickly to Smith out!
4 years, then we may as well accept our lot back in the Championship.
One thing we had was 3 top players and a very good goalkeeper, a transfer window and some money in the kittie.
Now we have a spent manager and a bunch of players looking for their next move.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 12:30:43 PM »

Valverde - Barcelona
Pochettino - Spurs
Kovac - Bayern
Fernandez - PSG
Allegri - Juventus
Emery - Arsenal
Spalletti - Inter
Giampaolo - AC Milan
Silva - Everton
Blanc - PSG
Allardyce - Everton
Pellegrini - West Ham
Hughes - Southampton
Gracia - Watford
Flores - Watford
Hughton - Brighton
Which would you like Drummond?  Assuming we go down.

I'd stick with Smith to be honest. But, if he goes, and in some respects that wouldn't surprise me if we carry on as we have been, then from that list we'd need to be looking lower down. I'd consider Hughton or Silva because I think their styles of play are more in line with what we'd like to see on the pitch. I don't think the ones I'd like would be attainable. Pochettino would be first choice but why would he take a drop into the second tier when the elite clubs would be after him?

Offline Villan82

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 12:51:36 PM »
FFS, forget style of play. If we go down we are back to square one and bye-bye McGinn and Grealish.

Get in somebody to keep us up. Big Sam is the man.

We can always bin him in the summer and go for the long-term (competent option). You know, act like a big club again and be ruthless about our own selfish interests?

If we want to progress staying up is the most important thing. Look at Southampton and Adkins.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2020, 12:54:42 PM »
FFS, forget style of play. If we go down we are back to square one and bye-bye McGinn and Grealish.

Get in somebody to keep us up. Big Sam is the man.

We can always bin him in the summer and go for the long-term (competent option). You know, act like a big club again and be ruthless about our own selfish interests?

If we want to progress staying up is the most important thing. Look at Southampton and Adkins.

He's not managed for two years.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal