collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746557 times)

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #5010 on: July 13, 2020, 11:27:36 PM »
Hmmm, really not sure I’m following your argument that they’ve performed better without us being on their backs. We appear to be worse off than before lockdown.
In fairness I don’t/ didn’t believe it also it was just an alternative thought .

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #5011 on: July 23, 2020, 10:45:46 PM »
We'll find out for sure on Sunday.

Offline p_ad

« Reply #5012 on: July 26, 2020, 06:16:33 PM »
Not at all

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5013 on: July 26, 2020, 06:20:15 PM »
Fucking BT Sport banging on about the goal that wasn’t given for Sheffield United.  I can list at least half a dozen times when we’ve been robbed by bollocks VAR decisions this season.  That fucking penalty for Man U a few games ago being one.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #5014 on: July 26, 2020, 06:21:47 PM »
The disallowed goal Palace had. Works both ways, I like that the Sheff Utd non goal could be classed as what kept us up, it will eat away at our 'friends'.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #5015 on: July 26, 2020, 06:21:59 PM »
FUMF BT

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5016 on: July 26, 2020, 06:56:07 PM »
Now that it's over, I'd like to say that I still think it was bullshit to complete the season. I am delighted that we stayed up, and firmly believe we did so on merit, but my opposition to Operation Restart (or whatever it was called) was not motivated by self-interest. I still do not think it is fair to change the rules of a competition three quarters of the way through.

I said way back in this thread that I thought we'd stay up (didn't think it would be so heart attack-inducingly close, mind!) but that the clubs who went down could rightly feel hard done by. I still feel that way, and so strongly that I even feel sorry for Troy Deeney.

Having said that, I am off to get drunk and celebrate!

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #5017 on: July 26, 2020, 07:04:05 PM »
Now that it's over, I'd like to say that I still think it was bullshit to complete the season. I am delighted that we stayed up, and firmly believe we did so on merit, but my opposition to Operation Restart (or whatever it was called) was not motivated by self-interest. I still do not think it is fair to change the rules of a competition three quarters of the way through.

I said way back in this thread that I thought we'd stay up (didn't think it would be so heart attack-inducingly close, mind!) but that the clubs who went down could rightly feel hard done by. I still feel that way, and so strongly that I even feel sorry for Troy Deeney.

Agree with that.

The whole awful situation, in the end, helped us.
But it does seem ridiculous worrying about football.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #5018 on: July 26, 2020, 07:05:41 PM »
As I said it was a great idea to restart.😳

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5019 on: July 26, 2020, 07:23:23 PM »
As I said it was a great idea to restart.😳

I think we need to get Brassneck back to debate, and tell us all why we're thinking what we're thinking ;-)

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #5020 on: July 27, 2020, 04:07:53 PM »

Agree with that.

The whole awful situation, in the end, helped us.
But it does seem ridiculous worrying about football.

Agree with this too.

Fraser, one of Bournemouth's better players didn't want a short term contract extension. Imagine as fans how we would have felt in that situation. 

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #5021 on: July 28, 2020, 12:50:36 PM »
It was a flawed end to the season, but surely a fairer finish than voiding the season or adopting a points per game approach.

And whilst the games were pretty soulless, it was largely well administered and the clubs got the TV money that many so desperately needed.  Ultimately the sky didn't fall in as many predicted and in terms of society trying to get back to some normality post Covid I think overall it was probably a good thing.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #5022 on: July 28, 2020, 12:57:05 PM »
It was a flawed end to the season, but surely a fairer finish than voiding the season or adopting a points per game approach.

And whilst the games were pretty soulless, it was largely well administered and the clubs got the TV money that many so desperately needed.  Ultimately the sky didn't fall in as many predicted and in terms of society trying to get back to some normality post Covid I think overall it was probably a good thing.

Totally agree with this.  The Premier League (and Bundesliga) set the tone for other sports to return and bring some sense or normality back.   They did it the right way, with minimal positive cases.

Of course the atmosphere was missed, but I will say that I was pleasantly surprised at the intensity of the games, these were not practice or warm-up games, they were played in the right spirit and  everyone involved should be given some credit.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #5023 on: July 28, 2020, 09:56:17 PM »
So, points per game has again proved to not work for relegation from the Premier League.  We can now add Aston Villa to the list of teams that have avoided relegation after being in the bottom three with 9 matches to go.  I argued against the method at the time and said that the season had to be finished, although I said that it should be finished in the same manner as it was before the lockdown.

I lost interest with the games as I felt it just wasn't the same.  Many seemed to be just going through the motions, although playing through the summer does take its toll on the players.  Fortunately the health situation improved and the safety aspects seemed totally over the top by the end.

With the loss of interest, I could not even drum up enthusiasm for Villa and I thought we would be relegated after the Man United match, especially after further awful refereeing decisions.  In the end, we pulled together over the last four matches and put a run together that we haven't managed all season.

It all ended well with Villa staying up but I am glad that it is over.  I have sympathy for the teams relegated and thank God we are not one of them.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #5024 on: July 28, 2020, 10:01:02 PM »
Without wishing to sound too cold-hearted about it, I think it saved us from almost certain relegation. After the Leicester match we looked to be on a downward spiral, even given the false hope of the performance in the cup final. Even though post-lockdown things did not get off to the best of starts to put it mildly something clicked in the last 4 games.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal