collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746934 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #4725 on: May 31, 2020, 09:39:08 AM »
I'm pretty sure our population isn't 10 times that of Germany, Italy, France, Spain, et al.

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #4726 on: May 31, 2020, 09:43:05 AM »
I'm pretty sure our population isn't 10 times that of Germany, Italy, France, Spain, et al.

The demographic of each country is completely different

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #4727 on: May 31, 2020, 09:49:46 AM »
"meaningless" with or without a question mark is not a word I would chose to use no matter how many deaths are recorded in this country or any other for that matter.
As a statistic it is surely meaningless to compare, for example, the amount of deaths in England vs Andorra?

Nobody is saying the deaths are meaningless, it is the statistic that has no value.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 09:51:24 AM by chrisw1 »

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #4728 on: May 31, 2020, 09:58:03 AM »
So you're saying our deaths are 10 x Italy and Spain?

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

« Reply #4729 on: May 31, 2020, 10:03:20 AM »
So you're now implying Andorra is an "average European country"?
You chose the words you do, all I'm saying is I would choose different words when talking about deaths.
The uk government has given up on comparing death rate figures with those of other countries anyway, so it's a moot point.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #4730 on: May 31, 2020, 10:06:33 AM »
No I'm not.  I was simply questioning the validity of the stat that our deaths are 10 x the average European Country.  It's meaningless and that is what I was pointing out.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #4731 on: May 31, 2020, 10:07:05 AM »
Its not meaningless, it certainly isn't natural, this whole thing is heavily manipulated, if the players feel this way its because a whole swath of the country feels the same, we went into lockdown with the government in a state of panic on the 23rd March, on that day according to government figures we recorded 74 deaths, we are still registering deaths per day in the hundreds and yet we are being rammed out of lockdown by the government and the media, way to fast, even some of sage scientist are now saying it, at the press conference yesterday the government openly lied, saying that the advice given by scientist as sage was the pace of coming out of lockdown was the right thing, of course, if you want to prove a point and have agreement to your cause, line up enough experts and you will find somebody that agrees with you.

The football season is restarting but it just doesn't feel right, the fact that when the whistle blows to start these games people will be dying and as the country goes into a very dangerous couple of weeks its distinctly possible we get a second spike, hell they are even talking about a third spike. Worth remembering as we speak on here there are nearly 1600 people in intensive care, 8,000 new infections each day, personally I am amazed the season has been re started, I can well understand player concern.         

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #4732 on: May 31, 2020, 10:14:09 AM »
Whether the football season starting is right or not doesn’t change the only point I made, which is that the quoted statistic is meaningless without the wider context of population size and density

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #4733 on: May 31, 2020, 10:20:38 AM »
I'm talking about the emotional side of this, the right or wrong of it in terms of it being meaningless or not, believe me when this starts and the losses start coming in, teams start to realise they are going down, not qualifying for Europe, then we will see from both players and fans just how meaningful this is and just how wrong it is.

Get your point though.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

« Reply #4734 on: May 31, 2020, 10:38:42 AM »
You've got it BoVillan when you talk about the "emotional side"
The poster may or may not have a point regarding the stats, but there are certainly better ways of expressing that point instead of using words like "meaningless" in the same sentence as "deaths".
Any death is obviously emotive, certainly to the family and friends griefing, but in these strange times when there are so many deaths it is emotive to everybody, so choosing words carefully is very important.

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

« Reply #4735 on: May 31, 2020, 10:39:52 AM »
No vaccine, a half cocked contact tracing system and because of this a risk of a massive second spike.

The Government has effectively removed lockdown for political expedience and football is back for political and ££ reasons sending completely the wrong message to young men and women who are itching to play (which will put them and their families at risk). This country.

And roughly 10 times as many deaths per day yesterday as the average European country.
So what is our population and population density compared to the average European Country, as surely without that info the stat is meaningless?

Put lipstick on a pig, it’s still a pig.

‘The UK had the fourth highest population density (266 people per square kilometre) of the EU countries in 2014, and was most similar to Germany (227 people per sq km).‘

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates/articles/ukperspectives2016theukinaeuropeancontext/2016-05-26.

Belgium, Netherlands and Malta all have higher population density than us, but much fewer deaths. As of the 30 May they had a combined 15381 deaths and we had 38161.

Let’s add in the amount of German (the next most densely populated) deaths to the other three countries. It still only gets you to 23,870 deaths. 

The UK has a population of about 67 million, Germany about 83 million.

Your argument doesn’t come close to stacking up.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 10:59:56 AM by markeeeebeeee2005 »

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #4736 on: May 31, 2020, 10:40:48 AM »
You've got it BoVillan when you talk about the "emotional side"
The poster may or may not have a point regarding the stats, but there are certainly better ways of expressing that point instead of using words like "meaningless" in the same sentence as "deaths".
Any death is obviously emotive, certainly to the family and friends griefing, but in these strange times when there are so many deaths it is emotive to everybody, so choosing words carefully is very important.

Indeed.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4737 on: May 31, 2020, 10:56:53 AM »
As soon as they restart football and it's shown on tv it will signal the end of lockdown. For instance how can anyone have a go at kids for playing football in a park when they can watch it on tv? Time will tell if it's safe or not but for me it's an unnecessary gamble which is purely motivated by money. 

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

« Reply #4738 on: May 31, 2020, 11:02:23 AM »
As soon as they restart football and it's shown on tv it will signal the end of lockdown. For instance how can anyone have a go at kids for playing football in a park when they can watch it on tv? Time will tell if it's safe or not but for me it's an unnecessary gamble which is purely motivated by money.

This is the point. They might be able to keep the footballers and their families safe, but it is the screw everybody else signal of the whole thing.

Today I have seen a group of about 16 lads playing football where I exercise. They might or might not follow the scientific papers, but I bet they know the Premier League has been told it can restart. I live in quite a mixed area as far as socio demographics are concerned. I’d bet these lads have family members in at risk groups.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 11:20:57 AM by markeeeebeeee2005 »

Offline Villan82

« Reply #4739 on: May 31, 2020, 11:47:55 AM »
No vaccine, a half cocked contact tracing system and because of this a risk of a massive second spike.

The Government has effectively removed lockdown for political expedience and football is back for political and ££ reasons sending completely the wrong message to young men and women who are itching to play (which will put them and their families at risk). This country.

And roughly 10 times as many deaths per day yesterday as the average European country.
So what is our population and population density compared to the average European Country, as surely without that info the stat is meaningless?

Two days ago. UK had 324 deaths, Germany 24 deaths, Sweden 84 deaths, France 52 deaths, Holland 28 deaths.

Anything else?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal