collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 11:45:03 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 747293 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #4485 on: May 23, 2020, 11:41:31 AM »
If they do end up playing an odd number of games next year they better make sure we have an extra home game, after this season's shenanigans.

In the old days of HDE he'd have used such a scenario to justify a season ticket price increase. After refusing any demand for refunds this season...

Offline The Moose

• GM : 03.08.2016
« Reply #4486 on: May 23, 2020, 12:18:19 PM »
All very valid points, omvf. Have to ask why the media never quiz them on these. The whole thing stinks.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #4487 on: May 23, 2020, 12:46:58 PM »
Interesting article in the Telegraph about Tranmere who are in a similar position to us In Division 1.

Exclusive interview with Tranmere owner Mark Palios: 'We will not take relegation lying down'
Palios said that football is already in a precarious situation without causing further damage to clubs through unnecessary relegation
By
Matt Law,
Football News Correspondent
22 May 2020 • 5:01pm

Mark Palios has promised that he and Tranmere Rovers will fight against the recommendation of the EFL board that would relegate the club if the League One season has to be curtailed.

Legal action will be among the possible avenues for owner Palios to pursue if Tranmere are relegated on a points-per-game basis in the event of clubs voting to curtail the season.

He would not confirm whether he will take the legal option, but branded the justification that relegation is ‘integral to the integrity of the pyramid’ as “a lazy analysis and convenient soundbite.”

The EFL on Thursday recommended that if clubs vote in favour of curtailing the season, then promotion, relegation and play-off places will be determined by points-per-game. That would mean third-from-bottom Tranmere would be relegated to League Two, even though they are just three points behind Wimbledon, over whom they have a game in hand.

Given Tranmere had also won three successive games, all away from home, before the League One season was suspended because of the coronavirus outbreak, their relegation would be seen as the biggest injustice of any curtailment scenario.

“You can’t underestimate the strength of feeling that is currently running through the club and I think it’s a strength of feeling that I don’t think will go away until the sense of injustice goes away,” said Palios. “My first response to it is anger.

“I’m trying to gather more information from the EFL so I understand the process and, in particular, the timing of that process. Once I understand that, I can understand what all the options are to ensure we protect the interest of Tranmere Rovers Football Club.

“We’re not prepared to just take that [relegation] lying down and I wouldn’t think that anyone would expect me to do that. The cost of a legal action would pale into insignificance in comparison to the impact on the club.”

The EFL board have asked for clubs to consider its recommendations ahead of a vote and Palios has responded by making an alternative proposal that would see clubs win promotion and compete in an expanded play-off format, while voiding relegation if the season is curtailed.

“This isn’t a board decision and that gives me some sort of opportunity,” said Palios. “It says clubs can consider it and I have crafted and sent in my response to the statement, together with a detailed and fleshed out alternative proposal which is the one I announced last week.

“I will be asking for copies of the board minutes if I can have them. I need to know on something as serious as this for the club, on what basis was the decision made? With all due respect to the EFL, I don’t think setting the points out and then in a note to editors referring to three or four sections of the regulations is really adequate communication. And certainly not when one club in particular could get sacrificed.”

Former Football Association chief executive Palios does not accept the view of his former employers that relegation must take place across all divisions to protect the integrity of the football pyramid, which has been repeated as justification by the EFL.

“Why would you take an option that severely damages a club in a situation where everybody in football is already facing a financial debacle,” said Palios. “You’ve made it worse for one club, so why would you do that?

“I think it’s instructive that when you read the EFL statement there is absolutely no mention of fairness. That’s because it reflects probably the reality of it. And that is inconsistent with, for example, the decision of the League Two clubs who didn’t want to relegate the bottom club because of fairness.

“It’s also inconsistent with the stance of the FA, when they looked at a situation with steps three to seven and came to the conclusion it was unfair to relegate clubs. So there is an inconsistency in what they say and no hint of fairness.”

Tranmere’s alternative proposal would see the potential for expanded EFL divisions next season with the possibility for more than one relegation to and from the National League in future.

“Our proposal enhances and supports the pyramid, rather than taking what I would call a lazy analysis and a convenient soundbite that relegation is core to the integrity of the pyramid,” said 67-year-old Palios. “That soundbite has been parroted by the EFL as a justification in our particular case and it’s the parroting of it by the EFL that concerns me.”

Palios did not want to speculate on whether there would be any human cost, in terms of jobs, to Tranmere being relegated and stressed the club are on a sound financial footing. But asked to explain what going down to League Two would mean for the club, he said: “It isn’t so much the cash, it’s the League One status.

“The cash is very material in terms of what hits us, because it’s not just losing the central payments, it’s the sponsorships that are hit and a lot of other things. You can look at that and make a loss assessment for that. But the big question is for how many years? It might take us 10 years to get back into League One and I could be dead.”

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4488 on: May 23, 2020, 02:55:30 PM »
Palio’s interesting character , heads a one parent family with several daughters, played for Tranmere, was the 3 rd piece in the Sven Alam love triangle.
Decent bloke although he did react strongly to a tackle in a Veterans match.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #4489 on: May 23, 2020, 03:21:19 PM »
Palio’s interesting character , heads a one parent family with several daughters, played for Tranmere, was the 3 rd piece in the Sven Alam love triangle.

From recollection I seem to recall the love triangle revelations telling us Palios was hung like a horse.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #4490 on: May 23, 2020, 04:01:57 PM »
To be clear, I'm not saying relegating anyone based on PPG is fair. I'm saying that claiming we're only at risk of being relegated this way is because we took the League Cup seriously is bollocks.

We're where we are in the table because we haven't been good enough for 28 games. It's no one else's fault.

Which would at least be semi-defendable if everybody else had played 28 games.

What difference does that make? We've had 28 matches to not be in the bottom three. In 17 of those we've lost, which is more times than anyone else bar Norwich, despite the fact we've played fewer games.

Had we got one more point in any of those 28 matches PPG wouldn't be an issue.

Late goals to lose 
Spurs. Home
Liverpool home
Arsenal Away

Even if we drew those 3 that would be 3pts extra by my maths.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #4491 on: May 23, 2020, 04:34:32 PM »
And if my Auntie had balls...

Offline aldridgeboy

« Reply #4492 on: May 23, 2020, 04:52:23 PM »
What is happening about next season?  What planning is going into playing out next season and under what conditions.  A new season does not just happen.  No mention yet about a date for the start of next season.  A minimum two month break is required between seasons for transfers, contract discussions, commercial sponsorship, training etc.  All the talk has been about completing the leagues, what about the FA Cup and European matches?  Earliest restart for the EPL on this basis will be October.

The transfer window is due to open 10th June, with contracts starting 1st July.  This does not fit with the EPL timetable for completing this season but what about other countries that abandoned their seasons who are ready to start making preparations for next season.

People are talking about cancelling next season so as to complete this season but we could possibly be in a situation early next year of being able to attend matches again but with no football to watch.

Failing to sort out next season is going to have more of an impact on clubs than completing this season.  Going to hell in a handcart all for the sake of letting Liverpool win the title and promoting Leeds (West Brom are just riding the coattails, nobody is interested in them!)

I couldn’t agree more with this. This obsession to finish a season is really going to mess up next season now.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #4493 on: May 23, 2020, 04:53:22 PM »
Ppg sh-t and now what "if" scenarios.
What if we didn't get last minute winners vs Brighton and Watford. Football is about swings and roundabouts
Those games are gone, those kind of games have always happened and will continue to happen.
Get over it and move on.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #4494 on: May 23, 2020, 05:23:34 PM »

From recollection I seem to recall the love triangle revelations telling us Palios was hung like a horse.
Haha.
He risked a huge penal sentence for the tryst at the FA.

Offline Alex77

• GM : 19.11.2023
« Reply #4495 on: May 23, 2020, 06:27:21 PM »
And if my Auntie had balls...

She should get herself to the doctors!

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #4496 on: May 23, 2020, 06:34:51 PM »
Or down The Sty.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #4497 on: May 23, 2020, 06:43:48 PM »
Watching the Bayern Munich game. Lots of fist bumping and high fives going on. Isn't that not allowed?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #4498 on: May 23, 2020, 06:45:20 PM »
Watching the Bayern Munich game. Lots of fist bumping and high fives going on. Isn't that not allowed?

Considering they mark man tight at corners, I'm not sure what the point of the balony optics for social distancing of subs and teams in the warm up, celebrations etc

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #4499 on: May 23, 2020, 10:40:54 PM »
Apparently the second round of PL testing has shown up more positive results. So were these infections caught during the first round of training or just caught whilst lockdown is still on? Either way it doesn't bode well for rushing through all the games.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal