collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 758651 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #4455 on: May 22, 2020, 04:14:42 PM »
To be clear, I'm not saying relegating anyone based on PPG is fair. I'm saying that claiming we're only at risk of being relegated this way is because we took the League Cup seriously is bollocks.

We're where we are in the table because we haven't been good enough for 28 games. It's no one else's fault.

Which would at least be semi-defendable if everybody else had played 28 games.

What difference does that make? We've had 28 matches to not be in the bottom three. In 17 of those we've lost, which is more times than anyone else bar Norwich, despite the fact we've played fewer games.

Had we got one more point in any of those 28 matches PPG wouldn't be an issue.

And it still wouldn't be fair for the three clubs who were then at the bottom.

Offline eric woolban woolban

« Reply #4456 on: May 22, 2020, 04:21:40 PM »
I believe poor Charlton Athletic slipped into the relegation places for the first time this season on the day before the lockdown was announced. How unfair would that be to relegate them without another ball being kicked this season?
At the expense of Middlesbrough who beat them in their last match!

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #4457 on: May 22, 2020, 04:36:21 PM »
I guess if there's sense to be made of a 28/29 game season through sh-te ppg, why bother having a 38 game season from here on in? Let's finish every season in future on the 2nd weekend in March. Is this really what football has become. I didn't think season 19/20 could get any worse after var but ppg?
F-cking hell!

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #4458 on: May 22, 2020, 04:44:02 PM »
It’s our fault we are where we are and of course thanks to Kevin Fiend, it certainly will not be our fault if they decide to relegate us ( the important word is decide).
But it does look like they are hell bent on completing the season by some method.

Well these matches whatever pre match expectations at least a point should have been taken

Engels at home Vs Spurs. Lost 3-2 gauling!

Liverpool home 0 pts 1-0 down with 2 goals conceded in last 3 mins.

Arsenal away Vs 10 men for 60 minutes and then not even getting the point in the last 10 minutes losing it.

Can throw in Bournemouth and Burnley matches too not collecting points .
Fine margins in some respects

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #4459 on: May 22, 2020, 04:45:18 PM »
I believe poor Charlton Athletic slipped into the relegation places for the first time this season on the day before the lockdown was announced. How unfair would that be to relegate them without another ball being kicked this season?
At the expense of Middlesbrough who beat them in their last match!

I don't really like Middlesbrough, so I am cool with that.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #4460 on: May 22, 2020, 05:23:55 PM »
To be clear, I'm not saying relegating anyone based on PPG is fair. I'm saying that claiming we're only at risk of being relegated this way is because we took the League Cup seriously is bollocks.

We're where we are in the table because we haven't been good enough for 28 games. It's no one else's fault.

What difference does that make? We've had 28 matches to not be in the bottom three. In 17 of those we've lost, which is more times than anyone else bar Norwich, despite the fact we've played fewer games.

You seem to be arguing to agree with me.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4461 on: May 22, 2020, 05:33:18 PM »
The problem with PPG is that there's no way it can account for all the variables over the next 9/10 games. Even simple things like Liverpool messing around with their selections to ensure everyone gets winners medals could have a big impact, 1-2 unexpected results is all it would take to change the picture in the relegation places. If they're determined to finish the season on paper then it has to, at the very least, be some sort of simulation with an attempt to consider variables, a straight up ratio of PPG (either flat or split home and away) is a fucking awful way to make a decision that worth over £100m quid to the clubs impacted.

As an example of how bad it is I took a 2 recent seasons, 1 where the top 4 and bottom 3 didn't change (16/17) from mid march to the end of the season and one where it did (17/18).

Even in 16/17, a year where theoretically the idea works, the amount of deviation in that final quarter of the season was still massive with WBA finishing nearly 12 points worse than 'predicted' and 10 teams being more than 3 points away from the prediction with just 8 teams finishing in the same spot as predicted. That's a year where no one 'lost' because of it.

If you take the 17/18 season instead palace went from 18th to 11th and swansea went 13th to 18th so there would've been a clear loser. This time 9 teams were more than 3 points away from the predicted points and just 9 teams finished in the same position.

Given the role of league position in the final TV funds even teams that aren't in the top 4 or bottom 3 are impacted by receiving prize money that they are statistically unlikely to have gotten in a completed season.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #4462 on: May 22, 2020, 05:48:43 PM »
fair or unfair I think some sort of PPG will be written into the rules for future seasons before they start like Duckworth Lewis is in Cricket

they won’t let this happen again after 28 games played give or take
then anyone complaining about it not being fair they will just say you knew the rules before we started

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 05:52:36 PM by john e »

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4463 on: May 22, 2020, 06:01:53 PM »

You seem hell bent on accepting us being relegated unfairly. We have played one less game than our rivals.Only when every club has played an equal amount of games can the word fairness apply. It's as simple as that.

Online aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #4464 on: May 22, 2020, 06:17:20 PM »

You seem hell bent on accepting us being relegated unfairly. We have played one less game than our rivals.Only when every club has played an equal amount of games can the word fairness apply. It's as simple as that.

...under the rules and framework set out at the start of the competition.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #4465 on: May 22, 2020, 06:27:57 PM »

I'd go and have another read of the very first sentence quoted above if I was you.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #4466 on: May 22, 2020, 06:36:23 PM »

I'd go and have another read of the very first sentence quoted above if I was you.
That sentence changes nothing. You are the only person who thinks it would be our own fault if ppg was used to relegate us even though we have our game in hand.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #4467 on: May 22, 2020, 07:21:04 PM »
Even if they do resorted to PPG they should at least let us play our game in hand first. I’d hope the club are being strong on this.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #4468 on: May 22, 2020, 07:45:44 PM »
Not for me. Play the whole season, or void it. No cutting it off when everyone has played different teams and have differing home and away matches remaining. I would also say it should wait until you can have proper home matches in front of fans, but the league don't seem to care about fucking us over on that front.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #4469 on: May 22, 2020, 08:47:49 PM »
Not for me. Play the whole season, or void it. No cutting it off when everyone has played different teams and have differing home and away matches remaining. I would also say it should wait until you can have proper home matches in front of fans, but the league don't seem to care about fucking us over on that front.

I agree. And they're not going to void it so we should play the games, despite it being unfair. As Ad@am points out we shot ourselves in the foot enough times when it was fair (as well as officials shooting us in the other foot at times - but lots of clubs have had that) so we'll have to do it against the odds on the pitch.

I will still moan if/when we go down, because it isn't fair.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal