collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:25:34 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 02:21:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:20:52 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746674 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #1770 on: April 06, 2020, 04:27:36 PM »
you've vehemently disagreed with me whenever i have voiced a similar opinion. It was, as is, only about money - and twenty odd years after selling their souls for it, the day of reckoning has come.
My first line was "I've changed my views somewhat"

I still think the fairest solution is finishing the season, so believe much of the drive behind this from various quarters was for the right reasons.  I therefore don't accept that it was, as is, only about money.  But I do agree an unsafe early restart (as opposed to eating into next season) would seem to be money and a pretty distasteful outcome. 

In an ideal world we would have been able to finish it but that ship sailed ages ago.

You are not really finishing a “season” anyway now. It is simply 2 different leagues stuck together for the the sake of money. A less son is made up of momentum, runs of form, managing injuries suspension etc etc. This will be none of these. And to finish it behind closed doors?

Exactly right, once you have a 3month gap it isn't the same season. There will be some players who struggle to get fully match fit before these games are played out who were fit and in form before the break, that alone means this won't be a fair reflection of how the season should've finished. If, for example, we stay up and lets go with west ham go down instead they will have a legitimate argument that our respective form before the break means they wouldn't have been relegated and it's impossible to say if they're wrong.
I agree.

However, although very flawed, it would still probably be 'fairer' than the alternatives of either deciding places on current points of voiding the season with no promotions or rewards for teams who have peroformed exceptionally for 3/4 of a season (Sheffield etc).

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #1771 on: April 06, 2020, 04:35:15 PM »
you've vehemently disagreed with me whenever i have voiced a similar opinion. It was, as is, only about money - and twenty odd years after selling their souls for it, the day of reckoning has come.
My first line was "I've changed my views somewhat"

I still think the fairest solution is finishing the season, so believe much of the drive behind this from various quarters was for the right reasons.  I therefore don't accept that it was, as is, only about money.  But I do agree an unsafe early restart (as opposed to eating into next season) would seem to be money and a pretty distasteful outcome. 

In an ideal world we would have been able to finish it but that ship sailed ages ago.

You are not really finishing a “season” anyway now. It is simply 2 different leagues stuck together for the the sake of money. A less son is made up of momentum, runs of form, managing injuries suspension etc etc. This will be none of these. And to finish it behind closed doors?

Exactly right, once you have a 3month gap it isn't the same season. There will be some players who struggle to get fully match fit before these games are played out who were fit and in form before the break, that alone means this won't be a fair reflection of how the season should've finished. If, for example, we stay up and lets go with west ham go down instead they will have a legitimate argument that our respective form before the break means they wouldn't have been relegated and it's impossible to say if they're wrong.
I agree.

However, although very flawed, it would still probably be 'fairer' than the alternatives of either deciding places on current points of voiding the season with no promotions or rewards for teams who have peroformed exceptionally for 3/4 of a season (Sheffield etc).

As frustrating as it may be, everyone is having to suck it up and make sacrifices, some unimaginable, so I don't see why football should be any different.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1772 on: April 06, 2020, 04:41:51 PM »
Exactly.  So you'll be happy if they finish the season on current placings (adopting av points per game for games in hand) and Villa make that sacrifice of course?

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #1773 on: April 06, 2020, 05:11:20 PM »
The integrity of a home and away league season is that all games are played within the same framework, rules and criteria. Playing behind closed doors affects some clubs much more than others and is therefore unfair in my opinion.

I do wonder what the bottom 6 clubs will do if this comes to pass as they will have most to lose - and all clubs in similar positions across Europe. None have said anything yet except Brady at the start of all this.

They’ve just had the chairman of Burnley on Radio 5 live insisting the season should be finished behind closed doors. Easy to say when your club have 39 points and the season is over bar collecting the money.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1774 on: April 06, 2020, 05:34:22 PM »
Pep Guardiola's mother has died from Coronavirus.  Awful news.

Awks being Kyle Walker next time he looks him in the eye.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #1775 on: April 06, 2020, 05:35:57 PM »
If they don't void the season, I'm not sure I will bother with the game when it returns.

The greed and the protection of the top four has been on full view.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #1776 on: April 06, 2020, 06:01:12 PM »
Exactly.  So you'll be happy if they finish the season on current placings (adopting av points per game for games in hand) and Villa make that sacrifice of course?

I couldn't give care less about our status or place in the PL at the moment, it's just not an issue for me. We'll still have football and a club to follow. Anything other than voiding the season makes assumptions that fly in the face of everything that sport is all about and the twisting and turning of the authorities to try and keep the gravy train running is vulgar and offensive.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #1777 on: April 06, 2020, 06:12:43 PM »
In addition to all of the necessary discussion around finishing/voiding the season, the powers that be will have to void or at least amend FFP requirements too given the potentially massive financial fallout from this pandemic.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #1778 on: April 06, 2020, 06:26:05 PM »
In addition to all of the necessary discussion around finishing/voiding the season, the powers that be will have to void or at least amend FFP requirements too given the potentially massive financial fallout from this pandemic.

If things get too  bad then FFP wont come into it. It maybe a case of who is solvent.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1779 on: April 06, 2020, 06:31:44 PM »
The integrity of a home and away league season is that all games are played within the same framework, rules and criteria. Playing behind closed doors affects some clubs much more than others and is therefore unfair in my opinion.

I do wonder what the bottom 6 clubs will do if this comes to pass as they will have most to lose - and all clubs in similar positions across Europe. None have said anything yet except Brady at the start of all this.

They’ve just had the chairman of Burnley on Radio 5 live insisting the season should be finished behind closed doors. Easy to say when your club have 39 points and the season is over bar collecting the money.

Finish the season but scrap relegation.  Give 2 promotion spots if necessary to the Championship.  Abort the play offs.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1780 on: April 06, 2020, 08:20:10 PM »
The major moral problem is that, in all probability, playing the games out behind closed doors, there's a very good chance you will be playing a contact sport whilst at the same time urging the population to stay away from other people at all costs, and all - basically - in the name of money.

I think we have to realise is that we are not going to come out of this crisis like turning a light back on. We will have to be eased out of it, and slowly transition back to 'normality' and that is going to take a very long time.

Look at the US, for example. There are currently 350,000 people with coronavirus. How does that figure get reduced and how long does it take? And then how long does it take for that to progress to normality?

Then look at Italy, Spain and France, or here. So many cases. When do things like travel return? When can people travel from Germany to here, for example?

All these monumentally challenging questions that need to be addressed before the trifling matter of finishing a football season.

When the authorities in NYC are talking about the real possibility of temporarily burying people in public parks, it seems grotesque for football clubs to be fretting about money.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1781 on: April 06, 2020, 09:04:29 PM »
Scrap the season and start again from scratch when we can apart from City who won the Carabao cup fair and square (officials decisions apart) and should rightly keep the victory. Although it is strange to think that if we had won that game we could have gone down in history as the only team to win a major trophy in the 2019/2020 season. Nobody has been relegated or promoted and nobody has won the league so the only team it really impacts on is Liverpool who would surely have been champions.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #1782 on: April 06, 2020, 09:17:45 PM »
Make them Champions-elect. No relegation as it is an unfair representation at the moment. Promotion from Division 2? Sandwell and Dirty Leeds would probably have come straight up.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1783 on: April 06, 2020, 09:25:04 PM »
Make them Champions-elect. No relegation as it is an unfair representation at the moment. Promotion from Division 2? Sandwell and Dirty Leeds would probably have come straight up.

Nah, they've both got a long and distinguished history of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.  Leave all the divisions as is and start again when it's safe to do so with fans in the ground.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1784 on: April 06, 2020, 09:28:45 PM »
I genuinely couldn't give a shit about football, don't care when it starts again, don't care what division we are in when it does. It really is all pretty meaningless.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal