collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746976 times)

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #1755 on: April 06, 2020, 01:04:16 PM »
‘Behind closed doors’ is just utter bollocks and bullshit.
To my reckoning, this option still includes:-
2 squads of at least 20 players each.
Managers and coaches

Medical staff.
Match officials
Premier league officials
Stadium staff - obviously a reduced number but some required all the same.
Ground staff.
TV technicans
Cameramen
Commentators
Emergency services ?

Then there is the travel that all these people need to carry out.

I reckon that could be at least 100 - 150 people to put on a behind closed doors match.
Multiply that by the 9 games taking place each match day, multiplied by the number of match days.

It just takes 1 of those people to carry the virus and transmit it. The cycle begins again.

Unless of course, they continually test everyone single of those people to confirm they are clear.
To be honest, there is more chance of that happening than testing all of the NHS staff that need it.

I did ask a while back about the size of our changing rooms. Or will they be going full Sunday mornings division 9 shit weather, and getting changed in their cars before running straight onto the pitch?

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #1756 on: April 06, 2020, 01:09:43 PM »
If they play behind closed doors, in the event that we finish bottom 3, how can it possibly be deemed fair or supporting the integrity of the sport?

We have 6 home games left - 1 more than any of our rivals and 2 more in some cases.  Home games are invaluable and we are averaging double the points at home than we pick up away.  Why should we have that advantage taken away from us?  An advantage that all of our rivals have enjoyed more times than we have.

Exactly.  The integrity of the 19-20 season is totally shot regardless of what happens next. 

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1757 on: April 06, 2020, 02:14:34 PM »
I've changed my views somewhat.

I still can understand why they desperately want to finish this season for the integrity of the competition.  Whilst it would probably be better for us to have the season voided, I can see that finishing it in due course is the fairest outcome - notwithstanding the complexities of contracts, transfer windows etc.

Where they would lose me is any attempt to do this before it is safe to do so.  Playing behind closed doors would clearly be forcing it for the sake of it.  There's no way they can guarantee player and staff security in those circumstances.  What if one player from any team picks up the virus - surely that's the whole team out and the competition suspended?

If they must finish the season, do it when it's safe, even if this is at the cost of next seasons competition if necessary.

I'm also starting to come round to the idea that this is more money driven.  Previously I was of the view that risking next seasons income must be worse than sacrificing the remainder of this.  But I did hear reports that the league is coming under huge pressure from foreign broadcasters to finish the season and Sky are also now taking a harder line on this.

Well fuck them.  If you must finish it do it in September or whenever it is safe to do so - and pay the price with any necessary disruption to next years competitions.  Otherwise void it, which is really becoming the only other sensible solution.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1758 on: April 06, 2020, 02:35:17 PM »
you've vehemently disagreed with me whenever i have voiced a similar opinion. It was, as is, only about money - and twenty odd years after selling their souls for it, the day of reckoning has come.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1759 on: April 06, 2020, 02:40:40 PM »
I've changed my views somewhat.

I still can understand why they desperately want to finish this season for the integrity of the competition.  Whilst it would probably be better for us to have the season voided, I can see that finishing it in due course is the fairest outcome - notwithstanding the complexities of contracts, transfer windows etc.

Where they would lose me is any attempt to do this before it is safe to do so.  Playing behind closed doors would clearly be forcing it for the sake of it.  There's no way they can guarantee player and staff security in those circumstances.  What if one player from any team picks up the virus - surely that's the whole team out and the competition suspended?

If they must finish the season, do it when it's safe, even if this is at the cost of next seasons competition if necessary.

I'm also starting to come round to the idea that this is more money driven.  Previously I was of the view that risking next seasons income must be worse than sacrificing the remainder of this.  But I did hear reports that the league is coming under huge pressure from foreign broadcasters to finish the season and Sky are also now taking a harder line on this.

Well fuck them.  If you must finish it do it in September or whenever it is safe to do so - and pay the price with any necessary disruption to next years competitions.  Otherwise void it, which is really becoming the only other sensible solution.

The bold line is the bit I don't agree with. I think losing competitions next season would, long term, be far more damaging than voiding this season. Cancelling the carabao cup or FA cup could very easily cause massive problems for smaller teams who rely on big gate receipts in the early rounds but also it further devalues the cups at a time when they're already treated as a distraction by far too many clubs.

I think we're already at the point where they're choosing between finishing this season or running a full season next year and I see no version of that where I don't think a proper 20/21 season (that maybe starts slightly later than usual) is better than some fucked-up ending to 19/20 with half fit teams containing players playing in front of no crowds or a season ending in september/october and throwing the entire schedule out for years.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #1760 on: April 06, 2020, 02:41:19 PM »
From what I can see, money is the sole reason for this absolutely absurd suggestion of getting remaining games played, welfare of all parties and sense of ‘fair play’ aren’t even a consideration. If it happens, and I fear it will, you can add me to the list of people likely to call time on a lifelong love affair.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #1761 on: April 06, 2020, 02:46:23 PM »
It's got the point where I don't give a shit who become champions, who goes down and who comes up, or if anyone does.  It all seems so immaterial.  I can't go and visit my 80 year old parents, what do I care which division anyone is in next season?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1762 on: April 06, 2020, 02:50:15 PM »
you've vehemently disagreed with me whenever i have voiced a similar opinion. It was, as is, only about money - and twenty odd years after selling their souls for it, the day of reckoning has come.
My first line was "I've changed my views somewhat"

I still think the fairest solution is finishing the season, so believe much of the drive behind this from various quarters was for the right reasons.  I therefore don't accept that it was, as is, only about money.  But I do agree an unsafe early restart (as opposed to eating into next season) would seem to be money and a pretty distasteful outcome. 

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #1763 on: April 06, 2020, 02:51:10 PM »
I still hold that the 'big' leagues in Europe are hamstrung by UEFA not making a definitive decision.
The PL unilaterally dump itself out of CL/EL and live with the repercussions? No fucking chance.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #1764 on: April 06, 2020, 03:08:04 PM »

I still think the fairest solution is finishing the season, so believe much of the drive behind this from various quarters was for the right reasons.  I therefore don't accept that it was, as is, only about money.  But I do agree an unsafe early restart (as opposed to eating into next season) would seem to be money and a pretty distasteful outcome. 

In an ideal world we would have been able to finish it but that ship sailed ages ago.

You are not really finishing a “season” anyway now. It is simply 2 different leagues stuck together for the the sake of money. A season is made up of momentum, runs of form, managing injuries suspension etc etc. This will be none of these. And to finish it behind closed doors?

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 04:35:05 PM by aev »

Offline aev

« Reply #1765 on: April 06, 2020, 03:10:21 PM »
The Open has now been cancelled.

Offline Dave P

« Reply #1766 on: April 06, 2020, 03:22:03 PM »
Pep Guardiola's mother has died from Coronavirus.  Awful news.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1767 on: April 06, 2020, 03:22:21 PM »

In an ideal world we would have been able to finish it but that ship sailed ages ago.

You are not really finishing a “season” anyway now. It is simply 2 different leagues stuck together for the the sake of money. A less son is made up of momentum, runs of form, managing injuries suspension etc etc. This will be none of these. And to finish it behind closed doors?

Exactly right, once you have a 3month gap it isn't the same season. There will be some players who struggle to get fully match fit before these games are played out who were fit and in form before the break, that alone means this won't be a fair reflection of how the season should've finished. If, for example, we stay up and lets go with west ham go down instead they will have a legitimate argument that our respective form before the break means they wouldn't have been relegated and it's impossible to say if they're wrong.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #1768 on: April 06, 2020, 03:29:23 PM »

If news like this doesn't finally spark the football authorities into some sort of definitive action then I don't know what will.

Offline aev

« Reply #1769 on: April 06, 2020, 03:32:29 PM »

If news like this doesn't finally spark the football authorities into some sort of definitive action then I don't know what will.

Play on, it is what she would have wanted.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal