collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by frank black
[Today at 01:19:41 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by eamonn
[Today at 01:18:48 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 01:17:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 01:17:12 PM]

Re: FFP by astonvilla82
[Today at 01:15:24 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 01:08:06 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by chrisw1
[Today at 01:04:38 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 01:03:39 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746646 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #1020 on: March 18, 2020, 12:13:22 AM »
I guess a lot will depend on what's in contracts and if there's anything to cover this scenario. You're right that Sky shouldn't pay it all if the season is abandoned, but on the other hand clubs will have budgeted for the full amount. So a say 25% reduction will screw some clubs, especially someone like Bournemouth that because of the attendances will really rely on the Sky money. And FFP will need to take a backseat most likely.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1021 on: March 18, 2020, 12:18:03 AM »
I think Sky/BT could just say make up for the money we have lost on lack of live games by having even more next season. Perhaps have every Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday night have a live game on, or do Amazon-style weekends/midweeks where every game is televised. I would hope they wouldn't seek to start televising Saturday 3pm games as clubs in lower leagues will be struggling enough as it is. Not just because of lost weeks but also because I think people might remain wary about being around crowds for some time, even when everyone is telling us things are "back to normal".

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1022 on: March 18, 2020, 12:25:25 AM »
I think Sky/BT could just say make up for the money we have lost on lack of live games by having even more next season. Perhaps have every Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday night have a live game on, or do Amazon-style weekends/midweeks where every game is televised. I would hope they wouldn't seek to start televising Saturday 3pm games as clubs in lower leagues will be struggling enough as it is. Not just because of lost weeks but also because I think people might remain wary about being around crowds for some time, even when everyone is telling us things are "back to normal".

I think your concerns are valid, but I suspect most people will jump with both feet, arse-first ,into 'back to normal' when (if) the time comes.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1023 on: March 18, 2020, 12:25:44 AM »
I guess a lot will depend on what's in contracts and if there's anything to cover this scenario. You're right that Sky shouldn't pay it all if the season is abandoned, but on the other hand clubs will have budgeted for the full amount. So a say 25% reduction will screw some clubs, especially someone like Bournemouth that because of the attendances will really rely on the Sky money. And FFP will need to take a backseat most likely.

The general rule of thumb was that the loss will lie where it fell.

However, legislation prescribes that money paid for something not received because of events that were out of each parties control may be recovered.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:35:59 AM by Brassneck »

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1024 on: March 18, 2020, 01:36:17 AM »
UEFA are keen to draw under this season on June 30th. With that in mind with 10 league games to go plus 3 rounds of the FA Cup and other European Competition, we’d have to realistically get going mid to late April to get everything in. Can we see that happening?

Heard something on the radio saying that Champions League might resort to 1 leg quarter finals and a tournament style last four like the World Club Championship to fit it in. 

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #1025 on: March 18, 2020, 03:55:00 AM »
Are they living in a different dimension and cut off from the real world, does anyone in their right mind believe this will be over in a couple of months.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1026 on: March 18, 2020, 04:18:56 AM »
Robbo, it will never be properly over.  The world is changing in front of our eyes.  Employment, travel, banking, farming, industry, education as we knew it prior to coronavirus are going to change out of all recognition.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #1027 on: March 18, 2020, 04:45:42 AM »
Myself and Mrs Ozvilla were saying something similar the other day Brian. If these projections are correct this will be a game changer in much the same way as 9/11 was.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #1028 on: March 18, 2020, 04:57:04 AM »
There  is no way the games will be completed by the scheduled end of the season, and highly unlikely we would be in a position to get them end by the end of June. This doesn’t mean however that they won’t try and finish them over the summer (again that looks unlikely when we see the current forecasts) - there are a few articles about suggesting that the season does need to be finished.

Whether this is journalists being briefed by vested interests, or whether it is a because they fear lawsuits if a season is declared void I don’t know but I reckon it will be decided by the path of least resistance which I guess means the cheapest option.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1029 on: March 18, 2020, 05:41:49 AM »
Maybe more than 9/11 Oz.  It reminds me of Britain immediately post WW2.  Britain survived then with Marshall Aid from the United States.  This time around there will be no Uncle Sam to help us to our feet.  There will be a huge amount of financial pain as we have to adjust to a new world of debt repayment.   When my wife and I got married very nearly 60 years ago we wanted to buy a three piece suite on hire purchase.  My Dad and my wife's Dad both had to sign as guarantors before we got credit.  I was 26 my wife was 24.   Now of course you will also need health references that you will live to see the credit repaid.   The shape of things to come.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #1030 on: March 18, 2020, 06:49:32 AM »
If something good is to come of this it might be that top clubs especially think about using at least part of their TV money to create a hardship fund as some other industries do.  Ever increasing player wages as such a high percentage of turnover was only sustainable whilst the Sky/BT gravy train continued to rattle down the tracks. The buffers are now fast approaching.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1031 on: March 18, 2020, 08:10:31 AM »
There is an article in the Torygraph just now about the clubs and the FA focusing on finishing the season, no matter how long it takes.

It's bollocks based on prepping their stand off with Sky when they start to argue about money.
I think the money thing is correct - if the season is voided will Sky subscribers want refunds/cancel subscriptions (if they aren't already), will Sky want money back from the clubs, if clubs have to repay Sky money will they be able to pay the salaries of players with the income shortfall etc etc.
Yep.  But if they finish 'however long it takes' there may well not be a season next year - so the clubs would lose that money.

I still think taking the hit now is the only sensible thing, but I am biased.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #1032 on: March 18, 2020, 08:16:42 AM »
I don't think showing loads more games would necessarily help sky make up the money.  I'd guess most of their money comes from subsribers (which they're losing in the 1,000's right now).  Showing every game would add some advertising revenue, but essentially they would be diluting their own product.

I'm not weeping for sky, but the loss of income is going to put clubs in real trouble as the wages are still being paid.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #1033 on: March 18, 2020, 08:21:54 AM »
If something good is to come of this it might be that top clubs especially think about using at least part of their TV money to create a hardship fund as some other industries do.  Ever increasing player wages as such a high percentage of turnover was only sustainable whilst the Sky/BT gravy train continued to rattle down the tracks. The buffers are now fast approaching.
Surely it's time for salary caps?  How can we justify a world where some average players are demanding £120k a week?

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1034 on: March 18, 2020, 09:00:56 AM »
the suggestion now is to play out all the  remaining fixtures behind closed doors on neutral grounds and to screen every game. If true, this is a desperate utterly venal act which proves irrefutably that money rules above all else. So as far as the PL and their paymasters are concerned its ok for the elderly to be isolated for months but nothing is going to disrupt the sound of cash sloshing into our accounts. cnuts.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal