collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746735 times)

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #1005 on: March 17, 2020, 09:09:09 PM »
I'm not convinced there'll be a 2020/21 season yet. If there isn't, promotion and relegation will be quite meaningless anyway.

Offline Aldridge Villa

« Reply #1006 on: March 17, 2020, 09:58:34 PM »
Very valid point Algy

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1007 on: March 17, 2020, 10:18:39 PM »
Sport has just got to do one for now I'm afraid.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1008 on: March 17, 2020, 10:23:02 PM »
As UEFA seek to finish the season by the end of June then it points to if the Premier league and the players and clubs agree and feel safe to play .
The behind closed doors to do this would be the strong option as either government guidelines of mass gatherings being banned would probable be in force.
However as the situation escalates I can imagine more dilemma for football .

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1009 on: March 17, 2020, 10:24:25 PM »
Sport has just got to do one for now I'm afraid.

Of course the big issue is that it's not just simply sport at elite level it's business. Protected interests all round.
Though the covid 19 really puts the business of sport and other things into perspective

Online WassallVillain

« Reply #1010 on: March 17, 2020, 10:38:40 PM »
Sports lawyer on R5L is optimistic the season can be finished by the end of June.

It probably could. But that would be on the assumption that the clubs are clear of the virus at the times they want the games to resume. It”s not right but canning this season and starting next in September is the best option. Scrapping cups would enable new season to be completed in shorter season

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1011 on: March 17, 2020, 10:47:40 PM »
There is an article in the Torygraph just now about the clubs and the FA focusing on finishing the season, no matter how long it takes.

It's bollocks based on prepping their stand off with Sky when they start to argue about money.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #1012 on: March 17, 2020, 11:03:39 PM »
The problem as I see it with this play behind closed doors approach is you eliminate home advantage ..so how does that make it any less fair than voiding the league ?

Other issue

If this goes on for months and we know teams are now telling players to stay at home ,match fitness has gone so won't they need a preseason of sorts to get up to speed ?

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1013 on: March 17, 2020, 11:40:03 PM »
Sports lawyer on R5L is optimistic the season can be finished by the end of June.

It probably could. But that would be on the assumption that the clubs are clear of the virus at the times they want the games to resume. It”s not right but canning this season and starting next in September is the best option. Scrapping cups would enable new season to be completed in shorter season
A Sports Lawyer, oh it must be on then.
Of course they can finish the season if they want to start the next season very very late and then cancel the 2021 Euros and pretty much everything else.
The self isolation period starts this weekend so 12 weeks takes you to mid July.
Then you need players to get fit and say you start the season in August.
What happens to next season?
Not happening

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #1014 on: March 17, 2020, 11:40:14 PM »
The key point is whether this is an open ended timeline or they’ll have a set date by which the season must be concluded. If it’s 30 June then that is obviously totally different to “however long it takes”.

If the projections are correct I can’t see it being completed if they say 30 June.

Offline McGraths Dry Cleaning

« Reply #1015 on: March 17, 2020, 11:41:31 PM »
There is an article in the Torygraph just now about the clubs and the FA focusing on finishing the season, no matter how long it takes.

It's bollocks based on prepping their stand off with Sky when they start to argue about money.
I think the money thing is correct - if the season is voided will Sky subscribers want refunds/cancel subscriptions (if they aren't already), will Sky want money back from the clubs, if clubs have to repay Sky money will they be able to pay the salaries of players with the income shortfall etc etc.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1016 on: March 17, 2020, 11:44:31 PM »
The key point is whether this is an open ended timeline or they’ll have a set date by which the season must be concluded. If it’s 30 June then that is obviously totally different to “however long it takes”.

If the projections are correct I can’t see it being completed if they say 30 June.
The idea that they are telling 70 year olds to lock them selves up whilst they start playing football is untenable.
The only way they finish this season is not starting the next one for a very long time.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #1017 on: March 17, 2020, 11:47:43 PM »
The problem as I see it with this play behind closed doors approach is you eliminate home advantage ..so how does that make it any less fair than voiding the league ?

Other issue

If this goes on for months and we know teams are now telling players to stay at home ,match fitness has gone so won't they need a preseason of sorts to get up to speed ?

Absolutely, they cannot just 'carry on'. It is so unfair. It brings the game into disrepute.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #1018 on: March 17, 2020, 11:48:08 PM »
Unfortunately the season will be completed by hook or by crook   

No Matter what my biggest concern is sorting out my st for next season how sad

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1019 on: March 17, 2020, 11:58:45 PM »

I think the money thing is correct - if the season is voided will Sky subscribers want refunds/cancel subscriptions (if they aren't already), will Sky want money back from the clubs, if clubs have to repay Sky money will they be able to pay the salaries of players with the income shortfall etc etc.

I’m not convinced that sky pay everything up front.

I always thought the money came in stage payments, with the last one coming after the season had finished.  It’s possibly easier to resolve than it seems.

It’s not right that teams receive full payments (which obviously impacts us) so a 25% or thereabouts reduction seems fair.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal