collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Gareth
[Today at 08:33:33 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 08:32:13 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 08:31:53 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Steve67
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by luke95
[Today at 08:26:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746850 times)

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #945 on: March 17, 2020, 06:27:23 AM »
Won't "overly worrying" do more good than harm... if it keeps people from making unnecessary journeys and contracting/spreading the virus?

Lots of people seem to think the media are making too much of a big deal out of this, but I feel like casualties would have been far greater if they were playing it down.
Oh yeah, definitely. Personally I think there's a line between reasonable concern and panicking, and you have to be mindful that the news, social media etc is prone to inducing the latter. That's all.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #946 on: March 17, 2020, 06:55:48 AM »
Stolen from Ian Fleming.

A game of Snooker is about to finish. The final Black is slowly rolling true, dead centre of the pocket for a win and will drop in two seconds. The game is won. It is the Law of the Snooker Table.

Meanwhile, a couple of minutes earlier, a jet airliner suffered a catastrophic mechanical failure and began to plunge to earth.

It will destroy the Snooker Hall and everything in in in one second. This is the Law of Gravity.

What is the relevance?

It's a metaphor for what just happened to Liverpool FC.......

and an illustration of my degree of boredom with NO FOOTY.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #947 on: March 17, 2020, 07:11:54 AM »
How much will coronavirus impact Aston Villa's season?

Over the last couple of days I've come to the conclusion - who gives a fuck.

100% agree .
If there is any way I can change the title I shall as not go cause any undue offense or insensitivity.
I personally find the situation unsettling and upsetting and I don't want to add to any one else concerning issue.
Best wishes.

You haven’t done anything wrong. I find it amazing how quickly things have escalated.  You only have to retrace the comments on this thread to see this.

I posted on Thursday that I wasn’t going to go to the game.  At that time, I was in a minority.    How rapidly things progressed over the next 48 hours is testament to how quickly this has crept up on us.

I have been a little more conscious because my wife is vulnerable to the virus and it would probably kill her.  In hindsight, I shouldn’t have gone to Leicester and it was selfish of me to have done so.

However, I see no problem with discussing how it will affect our team.  It falls under the current affairs category and I personally enjoy reading everyone’s thoughts about the situation.  I am desperate for the season to be voided but I’m also aware that a lot of unhappiness is just around the corner.  The club will go on and I see no harm in discussing how the virus affects us. 

Certainly not trying to end the discussion.

It was my own thoughts over the last few days.

When the Premier league postponed the league, I was delighted, it feels a little ridiculous now.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #948 on: March 17, 2020, 08:04:35 AM »
Won't "overly worrying" do more good than harm... if it keeps people from making unnecessary journeys and contracting/spreading the virus?

Lots of people seem to think the media are making too much of a big deal out of this, but I feel like casualties would have been far greater if they were playing it down.

Yes quote and I keep coming back to sports people who have it saying stuff like “it just felt like a mild cold”. Lucky you, shut up and don’t create a perception it’s not serious. It’s incredibly reckless to do that.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #949 on: March 17, 2020, 08:06:19 AM »
Like most (I think) other Villa fans, I’d love to see this season declared null and void. Think the scousers will have a big day in it though. They are so far ahead it is almost in touching distance. So much so, I think they’ve a strong case to be awarded the title if it is called off. What about relegations then, and promotions from the championship?

We’d have a decent case to say, it’s too close to call at the bottom and out destiny is at this point still in our hands, so it would be cruel if we were relegated on that basis. Leeds and Albion would be kicking off big time if they miss out on promotion.

And it could just be kicking the van down the road for next season. For example, if the season started up again in August with no transfer window and essentially the current season is replayed, would we fare any better? Maybe, maybe not. I think if they allowed a transfer window it would advantage the bottom clubs in the Prem at the expense of the clubs in the championship. Some might say: so what? But I don’t think that would be fair. The whole thing is a massive dilemma.

The fairest thing overall would be to replay this season, but I just don’t see Liverpool not being awarded it and that opens up a whole bunch of other claims about relegation and promotion that would need to be addressed. Some kind of fudge where Liverpool get awarded it and everything else stays the same is my guess.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #950 on: March 17, 2020, 08:12:56 AM »
A few typos in my post above, but you get the gist.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #951 on: March 17, 2020, 08:19:50 AM »
The Championship isn’t cut and dried at all. I am pretty sure Leeds we’re going up this time last year. Both Albion and Leeds started the season like trains but both have been much more inconsistent in recent weeks.

More to the point - you let Albion and Leeds come up, and the same must apply to the lower divisions where it is much less ‘cut and dried’. In League One there are 3 points between 2nd and 8th. Teams right down to Wycombe in 8th would say one more week could have put them right there, just as much as we could argue we wouldn’t have been ‘stuck’ in the relegation zone.

As for the top 6 in The Championship having a meeting - let’s have a quick look at Bristol City - only one point behind Preston - what would they say? .......& Tbf I can say first hand that Preston have been shockingly bad in recent weeks!

Liverpool are the only case where you can say ‘close enough’ let’s just give it to them, especially as the implications of winning or losing the title, rather than being promoted or relegated, are not as great.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #952 on: March 17, 2020, 08:28:13 AM »
I think kicking the van down the road may leave us with sore toes ...

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #953 on: March 17, 2020, 08:29:45 AM »
The Championship isn’t cut and dried at all. I am pretty sure Leeds we’re going up this time last year. Both Albion and Leeds started the season like trains but both have been much more inconsistent in recent weeks.

More to the point - you let Albion and Leeds come up, and the same must apply to the lower divisions where it is much less ‘cut and dried’. In League One there are 3 points between 2nd and 8th. Teams right down to Wycombe in 8th would say one more week could have put them right there, just as much as we could argue we wouldn’t have been ‘stuck’ in the relegation zone.

As for the top 6 in The Championship having a meeting - let’s have a quick look at Bristol City - only one point behind Preston - what would they say? .......& Tbf I can say first hand that Preston have been shockingly bad in recent weeks!

Liverpool are the only case where you can say ‘close enough’ let’s just give it to them, especially as the implications of winning or losing the title, rather than being promoted or relegated, are not as great.
good points you make, which I hadn’t really considered, but seem to be saying similar things in terms of the likely outcome?

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #954 on: March 17, 2020, 08:32:55 AM »
I think kicking the van down the road may leave us with sore toes ...
seen it happen in Nuneaton when Leicester came to town!

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #955 on: March 17, 2020, 08:42:29 AM »
Championship clubs are “invited” to join the PL. Finishing in any position in their league does not give them an automatic right. They can have as many meetings as they like. Also currently there is no group that can actually claim any rights because current top six may not be top six if the season was to be completed.
great point

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #956 on: March 17, 2020, 08:59:48 AM »
I just want the season to resume as soon as the Virus can be dealt with first when that is who knows people's safety is paramount.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #957 on: March 17, 2020, 09:05:36 AM »
Down in Oz we seem to be lagging behind in new cases but I suppose we will catch up. Not sure what the toilet paper shortage is all about the Sports Argus always always served a purpose.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #958 on: March 17, 2020, 09:15:38 AM »
Half way through a fixture if the game is no longer playable due to fog, snow or whatever the match is abandoned.  The score at that time of he abandonment is not a consideration. The game is replayed at a later date from the start. Previous score null and void. Sorry Liverpool you’ll just have to suck it up.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #959 on: March 17, 2020, 10:35:03 AM »

Completely agree, the very thing the government are being criticised for now is the off handed casual approach they started with, slowly slowly they are coming around to the reality of this and putting action plans together, personally I think anybody that takes laid back approach to this needs to catch themselves up, I have people in the village I live in, are adamant this is a media created crisis, one guy even linked it to us being weened of Brexit and everybody should stop scaring themselves and chill out, so believe me they are out there.

Good news: Australia who are world leaders in producing vaccines say they are right now live testing what they think is a problem solver vaccine, human trials will start in June and they reckon it should be out by next June although they are under such pressure to produce this vaccine, they are working around the clock to get it done by winter time, so its possible the answer is out there.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal